• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

My TRS cable to FRFR sounds brighter? But getting noise from an XLR

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
I posted a thread a few days ago about having a hard time with thin, shrill tone from the Axe. I may have discovered a contributing problem; when I plug in a TRS cable vs. an XLR cable, my tone is significantly brighter/more brittle. I much prefer the tone that I get from an Axe hooked up via XLR.

The problem is that I get a small hum/noise interference whenever I hook up XLR. Also, I was planning on going to FOH via output 1 with XLR, and then going to my monitor on output 2 with a quarter inch.

Are TRS cables supposed to be brighter? It really doesn't make sense to me, but I know what I'm hearing. AB-ing between them on the same output, and XLR sounds way better, it's just noisy. I tried a different XLR cable as well, so the XLR isn't causing the noise. but right when I unplug the XLR, the noise goes away from my FRFR.

The FRFR is a matrix q12a btw. I bought it used from the emporium on TGP, but it's in good shape.

Upon further inspection, it seems it's a problem with the Matrix Q12a I'm guessing.

RobinMatrix

Inspired
I posted a thread a few days ago about having a hard time with thin, shrill tone from the Axe. I may have discovered a contributing problem; when I plug in a TRS cable vs. an XLR cable, my tone is significantly brighter/more brittle. I much prefer the tone that I get from an Axe hooked up via XLR.

Are TRS cables supposed to be brighter? It really doesn't make sense to me, but I know what I'm hearing. AB-ing between them on the same output, and XLR sounds way better, it's just noisy. I tried a different XLR cable as well, so the XLR isn't causing the noise. but right when I unplug the XLR, the noise goes away from my FRFR.

Hi Ben,

Electrically, the TRS connection and the XLR connection are identical. They connect to exactly the same electronics, pin for pin. If you are getting a difference when using an XLR and a TRS cable, then there must be some difference between the cables. There should be no difference in "brightness" using a TRS instead of an XLR if the cables are correctly wired.

I would guess that the XLR cables have had their "grounds lifted". Check you have continuity on Pin 1 of the XLR and on the screen/body of the TRS ...

javajunkie

The 1/4 outputs on output 1 are unbalanced (a TRS will not do you any good here), that will give you a weaker signal. The XLRs probably sound better to you because they are louder. Generally we perceive louder as better. You can use the ground lift switch on the Axe-fx XLRs for removing hum.

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
The TRS is actually louder, but thanks guys! Ground lift did the trick! had no idea that the Axe's XLR had a ground lift. Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me regarding the TRS being brighter. Maybe picking up a Humbuster cable would help?

javajunkie

The TRS is actually louder, but thanks guys! Ground lift did the trick! had no idea that the Axe's XLR had a ground lift. Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me regarding the TRS being brighter. Maybe picking up a Humbuster cable would help?

Unbalanced should 6bd below a balanced. You should just use the XLR.

Top Bottom