My Quick Guide to where to start with FW v.17

It sounds like you're clipping at the input of your MBox. You're going into the MBox's TRS jack, right?

Turn on the pad on the MBox's input 1 and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try using input 2.

I plug the Yamaha's in to the Mbox with TRS cables. I just messed around with the pad suggestion and boy did it change things. I had to change the output volume in the Axe a lot and also on the Mbox I had to change input levels drastically from where I've ever had them at, but I'm not getting clipping now. I've had this setup for 6 months or so and I've never changed anything from day one when I set it up so it was really strange to have things change overnight, but hey, I'm seemingly in business now.

Thanks guys. So frustrating when some problem comes up with electronic equipment that you can't figure out, but I appreciate the help.

I'm glad it worked out.

Are you saying you still have to change settings drastically from where you had them before?

I'm glad it worked out.

Are you saying you still have to change settings drastically from where you had them before?

Volume settings yes. I'm turning the Mbox up a lot higher than before on both the headphone/speaker level knob and on the input 1 or input 2 knob, as well as the output on the Axe. All are turned up much higher than before, but I'm getting to the same basic room volume I'm used to being at for the last 6 months and there is no crackling.

If you have to turn everything up higher to get the same room volume, maybe you've still got those monitors turned down. :)

On the other hand, putting in that 20 dB pad will make you turn things up, too.

Now try turning off the pad, and see what happens.

On the other hand, putting in that 20 dB pad will make you turn things up, too.

Now try turning off the pad, and see what happens.

If I take the pad button off things get loud as hell and it starts crackling like mad. REALLY loud! With the pad button out I have to bring the output on the Axe down a lot, and the the input level on the Mbox down a lot. I'm just thrilled that I can play without a crackle fest. Trying out the FAS Modern III and holy hell is it amazing!

If I take the pad button off things get loud as hell and it starts crackling like mad. REALLY loud! With the pad button out I have to bring the output on the Axe down a lot, and the the input level on the Mbox down a lot. I'm just thrilled that I can play without a crackle fest. Trying out the FAS Modern III and holy hell is it amazing!

The pad should be on. The Axe-Fx is a +4 dBu line level device. Pad off would be for - 10 dBv or instrument level signals.

This is crazy i have FW version 17, but in axe edit when i click on the cab block, there is no PRE tab....i checked for updates and it sais i'm all good to go, what gives?

How is it disabled? Grayed out, or something else? Is anything else disabled?

How is it disabled? Grayed out, or something else? Is anything else disabled?

i have no idea what happened but its working now. Yeah after the update it was grayed out and i couldnt select anything for type.

as soon as i posted this i got a slice of pizza came back and poof there it was

sorry

See, this is why there's a pizza coupon inside every Axe-Fx. You need a drill and a hacksaw to get at it, though.

Back
Top Bottom