My opinion on FAS Cab Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
EDIT: Here's a clip made with Mad Oak TV MIX and AX MIX:

So today I got to try them out and I was let down. These IRs have been on my buying list for quite some time and I was excited to try them out but I honestly didn't find anything that passed my (very strict) criteria.

Saying this doesn't mean these IRs wouldn't suit other people. I'm very picky... but even though I've got only like 5-6 years of studio experience I can tell the mics are misplaced at least according to my school of thought.

I know some people will take this the wrong way and thing that I'm simply bashing the product. This is not what I'm after but simply give constructive criticism.

For those who don't have the experience I'd simply like to point out that what ever is close to a mic when it's recording will influence the sound. F.ex. if you place tape on the cloth to mark a good mic position it will cause weird phasy sounds.

Look at these pictures:

StudioVox.JPG

If that one mic is so sensitive that it needs a pop filter it's okay.. BUT how do you think the Royer will sound when the pop filter is half way in front of it? Well.. basically it's like being in the movies with a tall guy sitting in front of you. :(

StudioVibroKing.JPG

In this pic the mic in the distance is placed so that it should be taking the same speaker which has been blocked by 5 mics. Well... at this distance I'd say it's picking up a lot from the other speakers too... in which case is should be placed center and not in front of that one speaker. Not to mention how the Royer is set once again. :(

I don't know if these are the actual pictures of the final positions so please don't crucify me if that is not the case. However these pictures look exactly how I felt after trying the pack. Sounds are ok in the end but if you're just going to have a single mic position for each mic then it better be the best position... and to me it seems like the mics weren't really placed (well let's just say) up to Axe-Fx standards.

I feel like the perfectionism that's been put in to the unit itself couldn't be found in this cab pack.

But like I started this thread, I have extremely high standards and I'm sure this product works for many people.

Last edited:
Who is to say these were all recorded at the same time in the same position as this? They could have adjusted this configuration for every mic so that it would be different than pictured.

If crucifixion was what I was going for with the statement, I think you would know haha. Simply a question. Who is to say? Nothing was ever released concretely about what was really going on in the pictures. Or even the positions used for every IR. Would be interested to hear.

Nah man that's not what I meant. :) Just that I also stated it that the pictures might not be the final. Although... why would they place the mics like that in the first place if they didn't intend to use them? It's not really my problem since I've got enough IRs that are great. :) Just wondering... seems like so much great gear in there to drool over but kind of a waste for me at least.

the mics are misplaced at least according to my school of thought.

i think that every IR library has this problem.
most of these offer hundreds of IR's with mics
just roughly thrown in front of the cabs,
at least that's how it sounds to me.

that's why i prefer "single IR's", mostly provided
by people who took the time to find the sweet spot
and place the mic very carefully.

Who offers high quality well miced IRs out there?

I just bought Cab Lab and both Vintage and Modern Ownhammer packs based on discussions I had with Scott (The Great One) Peterson, but I just have not had a chance to dive in yet.

I recall Cliff recently posted some links to IRs.

Do what we did. Rent a studio for a week. Lug dozens of amps in there. Set up mics, listen, move, listen, move, ad nauseum. Collect all the impulses through various preamps. Rinse and repeat hundreds of times. Offer the product at a ridiculously low price. Listen to people on the internet say how they could do better.

Do what we did. Rent a studio for a week. Lug dozens of amps in there. Set up mics, listen, move, listen, move, ad nauseum. Collect all the impulses through various preamps. Rinse and repeat hundreds of times. Offer the product at a ridiculously low price. Listen to people on the internet say how they could do better.

Cliff - for whatever reason I assumed the factory stock cabs in the Axe FX II (which sound great) are also in the FAS Cab Packs. Is that a correct assumption?

They sound good to me, the TV cab is one of the best IRs ive ever used. I also like having the individual mics from the pack so i can mix with my fav ownhammer impulses with Cab Lab :D

The TV cab was clearly the best one in the bunch! I also liked the JCM cab.

I loathe my memories of trying to mic up a speaker. A hundred different variations of tone for me to hate. Once I found a position that was borderline acceptable, I'd never be able to repeat it in the future. Ever. That's why I'm happy to get even three or four IRs that I really like in any bundle. For the price, they are a bargain, even if I only like a very small number of them. Auditioning all of them is a bitch, but still far easier than trying to mic the cab myself.

I'm a part owner of a studio so that is not an issue for me. The amps and cabs on the other hand are. If I had all that gear I wouldn't be in the market for these IRs in the first place and I guess that's why people create products; to solve problems. Well ofcourse I realize that the product you're selling is cheap and you're selling quantity. (not stating that quality isn't there also)

I do not think of myself as a professional but just a hobbyist but I know that f.ex. a "correctly" placed SM57 alone can fill a mix and be pleasing on high volumes. Just to show what I mean I can show my own work: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-user-cabs-irs/76516-clark-kents-mesa-stiletto-irs.html Those IRs are all just an SM57 and nothing in post. Just 3 raw SM57 IRs placed properly in front of one speaker.

This Periphery's studio picture is a good example of how to place multiple mics on a cab:

379438_10150461072988217_1282187297_n.jpg

You see... no mic, popfilter or mic stand is in the way of every mic finding it's right position.

This is not a complaint! Just giving a tip if you're doing something similar in the future. :) Maybe have someone better qualified than me (as the majority of studio engineers are :D ) take a look at things.

There were never any stands or pop filters in front of the mics. If a mic wasn't on the speaker that is because it was moved out of the way to make room for another mic. These pictures were taken at the initial placement and should not be construed as representative of the final mic placement.

The mics were placed, listening tests were performed and the mics were moved to find the sweet spot. In some cases we needed a pop filter when obtaining certain mics. This filter was then removed when shooting the other mics.

The engineers and producers involved in this have more experience than everyone here combined. To criticize them based on a few random photos is ignorant and foolish.

This is not a complaint! Just giving a tip if you're doing something similar in the future. :) Maybe have someone better qualified than me (as the majority of studio engineers are :D ) take a look at things.

It IS a complaint and furthermore we didn't set up the mics. PROFESSIONAL engineers and producers did the actual work. People with many, many years experience micing guitar amps. The engineer and producer on the Mad Oak bundle recorded some of Aerosmith's albums.

So perhaps you shouldn't jump to conclusions based on photos. And perhaps their idea of a good mic'd amp tone is different than yours (and, maybe even better?).

They sound good to me, the TV cab is one of the best IRs ive ever used. I also like having the individual mics from the pack so i can mix with my fav ownhammer impulses with Cab Lab :D

Just curious.....
Is the TV cab in the Producer Pack, better than the stock Basketweave TV IR? (because I love the stock IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom