My newest toy: Roland GR-55

multivir

Inspired
G.A.S. struck again - I got a GR-55 on friday.

A quick review - what I can tell from playing around with it for the weekend.
I got the version that comes with the GK-3 hex pickup.
My main guitar is my Tele. There are people who installed the pickup on a Tele,
but if you don't want to make changes to your guitar that can't be undone, then don't install the GK on a Tele - at least not if you have the vintage bridge. It doesn't work without cutting / sawing or drilling.

No problem for me - suffering G.A.S badly enough to have more than just one electric guitar, I just took my Les Paul, for which you get a metal mounting frame to place the pickup between the bridge humbucker and the bridge. There's also a metal plate to fix the plastic controller unit to the guitar.

I'm not a luthier but managed to install the thing properly, without any glueing / drilling etc.

I tried all the VG / GK systems and didn't like them as I couldn't see a reason to play modeled guitars that don't sound good & not even close to the guitar that they're trying to emulate and synths alone wouldn't do it for me. However, having the two things in one box looked pretty convincing.

I have the impression that although the guitar simulations still have that Roland plasticy feel to it,
the have come a long way from where they started from. I set up a patch with a guitar sim & amp sim, and then a second patch with my guitar's regular pickup going through the same amp sim.

Naturally, there's quite a difference between the two sounds, but then again - this is a really nice Les Paul (did I mention that I suffer a bad case of G.A.S? )who easily blows away quite a bunch of guitars. If I'd take a LP Standard or something like an Epiphone, the difference wouldn't be that drastic.

My girlfriend went nuts cause it took me a really long time to get through all the 300 factory patches ;-)
To be honest - probably less than 10% are really usable in a band context, but they're a lot of fun to play around with. We're talking about stuff like Chet Atkins fingerstyle tunes with a trumpet orchestra. Nothing I would dare to play in public.

There's no (original Roland) PC / Mac editor for that thing, which is a drag. There's just too many options to leave it on the floor. At least while programming it. There's every sound you can imagine & that you don't necesserily need ;-)

However, modeling an acoustic guitar that sounds like one (again, for fingerstyle or "What's up" strumming) is tough. It's easier to just hide the tinny sound of the guitar by backing it with a few PCM strings.

It does amp modeling. I didn't expect that to be as good as the AxeFx. And I was positively surprised cause it does that better than the ME-70, but I wouldn't sell my AxeFx.

What's really cool is that you can hook it up to a computer via USB and record direct into ProTools (or any other DAW). You can set it up to transfer audio / MIDI to the DAW or both. Unfortunately, you can't trigger the GR-55 with the MIDI data you just recorded. But that's the only downside I found so far.

All in all a really cool package. Lot's of (probably too many) features. I wouldn't recommend it for guitar tones, but it does them surprisingly well. Some people write that tracking speed is an issue.
Sometimes you can feel a little lag, but generally it's faster than the previous GK's I tried (as far as I can remember, quite a while ago). I'm happy with it.

Now all I need is pickups for my acoustic & my Tele that don't need drilling & glueing.

If you ever need a trumpet guitar player for your gig or record - give me a call ;-)

I was able to pick one up through a Group Buy that is only available on VGuitarsForum.com for a significantly lower price than retail!

Having been an early adopter (I bought a VG-8 and a GR-30 back before the turn of the century) I must say that the tracking is WAAAAY faster and more accurate. The guitar sounds mostly are unusable, but the synth sounds are awesome, especially horns, pianos, basses and cool things like steel drums, vibraphones, etc...

There are 300 user controllable patches and 1,000 sounds.

I hooked it up with AXE FX and played a Mark IV lead alongside a SUB BASS - WOW, talk about a thick sound!

Lot's of fun! I have the GK-3 on a strat and a Scott Walker Santa Cruz, both super easy installs, both easily removed. The sensitivities for each guitar can be stored separately and have so many parameters that it's great!

Check out the group buy if you're interested.

I just picked one up as well. I haven't had a chance to play around with it all that much. From the synth sounds I tried, I think it sounds great. I don't think I'll ever use the guitar sounds... I'm too spoiled by the Axe.

I'm considering buying one to replace my VG-88, since the 88 won't fit on a rack shelf. I only use the pickup/body modeling, acoustic sims, alternate tunings, and twelve string sims, not the amps or effects. The GR-55 seems to have most of what the VG has in that respect. Having the PCM sounds and guitar-to-midi might be nice as icing. The VG-99's plastic "desktop" case is just too much for me to stomach.

Steadystate,

I don't know the VG-99's feature set, but I would assume that it has more detail tweaking & instrument models to offer.

After all, the GR-55 is not replacing the VG series, which is still more expensive than the GR-55. But you get the synth / midi IO functionality in a handy form factor.

You can do all the things you mentioned, but although I really enjoy playing around with the GR-55 (there's a trumpet fingerstyle version of the Indiana Jones soundtrack in the works :p )
I would always prefer a "real" acoustic / 12string / guitar in an open tuning.
I did a patch with a clean amp and dialed in a pickup sim that for my ears sounded as good as it could get with the GR-55. Then I copied the patch and routed the "real" pickup through it.
My Les Paul with Di Marzio Air Norton's sounds soooo much better than any pickup emulation. I would guess that they're about the same quality as in the VG. I'll use the GR-55 to
- show off ;-)
- distract keyboard players (I'll buy a really long midi cable and connect it to our keyboarder's synth when he's not looking)
- record some background pad sounds to accompaign my fingerstyle repertoire
- maybe use it at a jam where there's too many guitar players (trumpet anyone? ;-)))) )

I'm very familiar with the VG-99. It has a few options the GR-55 doesn't, but not many. The 99 allows you to have two simultaneous modeled guitar/amp sims, it allows you to individually pan the strings, more effects, etc. Nothing I need. The 55 lacks the vari guitar model that I never use. You only get 8 control assignments with the 55 as opposed to the 99's 16. The rest is pretty much the same.

I agree that a real pickup sounds better (way better) than its corresponding model. But the model of a Strat in the second switch position sounds much closer to the real thing than any tone my dual humbucker guitar can make. Same for a Danelectro sound, Rickenbacker, ES-335, etc. Same for acoustic tones. A real acoustic blows the Roland away, but the sims sound better than my humbuckers any day. As for open tunings and 12 strings, I'd have to carry multiple guitars to get a better result than I can now achieve just by pressing a switch.

The Rolands are what they are. For me, they are a way of creating an immense variety of "close enough" tones for live use using a single guitar. Will it hold up in a studio setting? No way. But no audience member has ever complained, nor has my back or wallet.

The GR-55 should satisfy all of my modeling needs. It will easily fit on a two-space rack shelf and has PCM tones and midi converson with which I can quickly record scratch demos. I can't play keyboards and this seems easier than inserting every note into my sequencer with the mouse.

My girlfriend went nuts cause it took me a really long time to get through all the 300 factory patches ;-)

Hey Mat

You get her back with some nice chocolate, for sure....

But anyway....why another 300+ sounds? Do you really find the time to use all your gear within the next years? I bought IK Multimedia's Total Workstation Bundle in summer 2010 (due to a fantastic discount, buy one product get all the rest for free). Now I have 2000+ new patches in my collection, and I'm not even a good keyboard-player :D

Maybe it was also just a G.A.S - thing....

greetz
Paco

Paco,

Why another 300 sounds? Because they come with GR-55 ;-)
Without being a smartass - that's the best explanation I can give. I hope to use the pads for background sounds as I stated before. And I do suck as a keyboard player, so this might help to get better results with a few midi things. But I have to admit that the GR-55 didn't get any attention at all this weekend as I prefer to play my acoustic instruments for now.

Ciao,

Mat

Back
Top Bottom