My III sounds different day to day...?

This may be easily overlooked, but everything always sounds WAYYYYYY (Emphasize on WAYYYYYYYYYYY) better louder. Again this may be easily overlooked but it's such a crucial concept to understand with the fractal units.

I came back just to bring this up, I wonder how loud the monitoring volume was and what his proximity was to the monitors. I should have picked up on that when he said his tone felt dead and without sustain

So many great insights! Thanks guys. I thought it would be tough to explain, so it's interesting that other people are noticing similar things.

I don't know if it could be fatigue? Sometimes it happens after an hour, after 10 minutes, etc. When it comes to volume, it's generally the same volume. I don't gig. I'm a studio player and I do session work. The volume is rarely super loud. It's mostly at a comfortable volume and stays there. Next time I notice it I'll see if varying the overall volume changes anything.

My AFX is going into my RME interface, which has my Dynaudio studio monitors connected to it.

It's a good call to record something when I notice it and another day when I don't notice it. I'll do that and post the findings.

The only thing is when it "sounds choked" it also feels a lot different under the fingers. It's not as easy to play, if you know what I'm saying... So, if it was an ear issue, why would the feel change? When I'm not noticing it, I feel like my playing is fantastic but the times when I notice it, it's hard to get into a good rhythm and I get that "I suck" vibe lol! I totally acknowledge it could be subconscious... it just doesn't seem like it.

Ughhh...describing guitar and tone is so hard lol!!

Strange issue. Very curious what it is. I don't think it is your ears. But who knows....Try to find out what you do different when it chokes. Maybe your Axe fx has a hangover. Happens to all of us! :)

Last edited:
Thought this came up on a YouTube stream today with Pete Thorn and Dave Friedman.
Dave said the same thing as Cliff, "it's YOU, your ears." It happens to all of us.

AND, possibly other factors like the speakers you are listening through, even humidity reacting with cones of those speakers.
In my experience volume levels also have TONS to do with how a preset feels/sounds. Many have said, always test presets at gig volume...

Bottom line, the Axe is ULTRA consistent, literally like a computer, even from gig to gig and venue to venue. Obviously external factors play a part in the sound, yet it's not the Axe that sounds different.
Keep an open mind and maybe record the tone a few days in a row, see what the differences are...best of luck

If I have a day things suddenly sound off, I dont touch a dial. And if I do, I resave to a new preset. Then the next time I play I compare the two presets. The original preset is almost always "right", and that day the ears werent working properly when I made the adjustments...

When building presets I never go past 30 minutes. Your ears are gone by then. Pick it up again the next day.

Your going to hate this answer but it could be your ears that are actually changing depending or the day
humidity fatigue etc etc
as bubba said recording would be best option to see if we can hear and audible diffrence

This has been my experience as well, I contributed this to environmental changes like fatigue, outside pressure, humidity and sinuses and how that all effects my hearing day to day. Summer is the worst for me. Your Axe isn't going to change but your ears will.

I can absolutely relate to what you are describing, especially to the "feel" part. This is also why I don't think it is only your ears/fatigue, but also your general sentiment. As with many other things in life (at least for me) there are activities that are easy to execute on one and more difficult on the other day.

I totally get what you guys are saying about hearing and all the conditions that fluctuate that affect our hearing. I don't disagree, at all. How do you suppose that would contribute to how it feels though? Like I mentioned, it feels as though the preset is harder to play... almost like the gain has been dialled way back when it hasn't.

volume differences = louder usually sounds better even if it's a small amount
This! At whisper/bedroom volumes, I find that pretty much everything sounds very similar. This past Sunday, my wife was out for about 3 hours, so I was able to crank it. Pure heaven. After what seemed to me like an hour at most, I realized that almost 3 hours had gone by.

Here's an interesting video...could it be interference and/or dirty power/grounding issue?
Interesting... I wonder if something like this could have anything to do with it? As far as I know, the Axe FX is grounded. The power cord is plugged into a surge protector/power bar that is plugged into my wall. I was going to get a power conditioner/voltage regulator (if it was recommended that it would help).

Back
Top Bottom