My homemade pedal board

LAYGO

Experienced
I got tired of plopping down my Liquid Foot down on the floor, so I got a bug in me to create a pedal board.

Rough estimate of prices:
$27 15'x2" heavy duty velcro
$7 2'x2' sanded birch
$3 misc screws
$3 cabinet pull handles
$15 1' various colored TRS patch cables (eight of them)
$10 some random case I got off CL a few years ago to stick my FCB1010 in (didn't fit)
$5 can of flat black paint (Double Coat or something, sprays thick first time)

Wood (cut in half roughly) & < $1.50 each for the handles
IMG_20120421_175544.jpg

Real simple cabinent pull handles, I thought about getting fancier ones for kicks, but they were pretty heavy & cost like 3-4x more:
IMG_20120421_175552.jpg

All painted up & handles mounted:
IMG_20120421_181902.jpg

The feet came from my red Mission pedal, I took them off to mount the velcro.
P1000194.JPG

They were perfect!
P1000195.JPG

Putting the velcro on. This velcro is SERIOUS BUSINESS! Now I know why most boards put it in spaced out strips. It's herculean feat to remove a pedal, but that's also a good thing.
IMG_20120424_204324.jpg

I kinda guesstimated how many strips it would take & the excess space left w/o having to cut a strip in half & split the difference top/bottom:
IMG_20120424_204318.jpg

ALL DONE! I had to fiddle with the layout some to get the black cable to be right, but no biggy. Just a PITA to remove something from that velcro!
P1000190.JPG

Here it is in the case. Funny thing, I started out with a specifically measured piece of wood I thought would fit. I didn't take into account the rounded corners & the Lowes guy cut it about ¼" off my marking. It turned out the extra piece of wood left over fit PERFECTLY.
P1000191.JPG

Cable fits in there, nothing moves, rattles or anything. I could probably throw in my guitar cable too as the lid basically rests on the exp pedals.
P1000193.JPG

Last edited:
A+ man! ;) I've been looking for a good case for the LF jnr as well, this is inspiring! ;)

I pinged a guy to make me a custom board in an ATA case & never heard back. I wanted it so that the bottom just came apart & set the lid aside & bam, you have a pedal board. I'll see how long this will hold up. It wouldn't survive a flight, as the plastic is pretty thin/flimsy, but it should hold up on a road trip as long as nothing is loaded on top. I also need at least 2 more feet as the board flexes a lil in the middle when pressed. I had some stick on feet, but they were just a lil taller than those feet. I might just see if I can't get more feet from Mission?

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the result. It was REALLY easy to get done. Took longer to paint it than it did to shop for it & assemble it. Other than the paint, getting the velcro on evenly was the next most difficult.

Thanks ya'll . . .

LMAO, the custom case builder contacted me today! They were actually shut down to move & open a new shop. Meh. So I don't need a pedal board now, but I want a live in case for that red Marshall 1960a.

I pinged a guy to make me a custom board in an ATA case & never heard back. I wanted it so that the bottom just came apart & set the lid aside & bam, you have a pedal board. I'll see how long this will hold up. It wouldn't survive a flight, as the plastic is pretty thin/flimsy, but it should hold up on a road trip as long as nothing is loaded on top. I also need at least 2 more feet as the board flexes a lil in the middle when pressed. I had some stick on feet, but they were just a lil taller than those feet. I might just see if I can't get more feet from Mission?

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the result. It was REALLY easy to get done. Took longer to paint it than it did to shop for it & assemble it. Other than the paint, getting the velcro on evenly was the next most difficult.

Thanks ya'll . . .

Just think how great it will look with that new JR+!! :D

It would look pretty sharp! hehe

Continuing with my craftiness, I've had this idea to make a projector mount that's adjustable angle for atop a speaker stand. I told my old bassist & they ran with it & came up with a pretty hokey solution: Velcro'ing the projector to a 3 ring binder, and the folder to the speaker stand adapter. I never liked it & thought it wouldn't really hold all that well & was proven right at practice one day when a friend knocked the projector off. Luckily, no damage occurred.

So, as we started prepping for this big gig, I decided I would implement my idea. I finally finished tonight. It's so much easier to work when you have the right tools! I tried doing this over at my singer's house, but he didn't have any drill bits.

Parts:
(1) $6 2'x2' pine plywood, cut in 4 equal parts
(2) $2 12"x1.5" continuous hinge
(2) Speaker stand tripods ($20 of CL for one, $25 for another via some place else)
(2) $9 Speaker stand pole mounts/adapters (for screwing into the bottom of your speaker when it doesn't come with a hole)
paint (which I ran out of finishing the last piece!)
$8 lots of misc nuts/bolts/screws/all thread
(2) $1 threaded brass inserts

So, I paint the wood, then screw on the hinges. I drill holes in the wood for nuts to mount the projectors to the wood (they ain't falling off again). Drill holes for the inserts, get them inserted. Drill holes for the adapters & bolt them down. Take some all thread & make an adjuster with some wing nuts & lock nut. Mount projector, TADA!

Here's a projector on top, but not screwed down (yet) & the other one w/o the projector on top. If I had the bolts in, they'd be sticking straight up in the foreground to screw into the bottom of the projector.
April%25202012%2520315.jpg

The bottom flipped up. Would lay completely open if I let it fall. You can see the holes to bolt down the projector. Also if you look close, you can see the white velcro on top of the projector.
April%25202012%2520317.jpg

The all thread thru the insert, pushing the top piece up. Note the PERFECT 90deg angle of the all thread. Meticulous work.
April%25202012%2520312.jpg

Here is the bottom showing the adapters. I used some paracord to tether the adjusters.
April%25202012%2520318.jpg

They sit right atop some regular ol' speaker stands:
April%25202012%2520319.jpg

As a guy who struggles to nail two planks of scrap wood together, I applaud guys like you who can just make stuff up like this... Very cool!

As a guy who struggles to nail two planks of scrap wood together, I applaud guys like you who can just make stuff up like this... Very cool!

It's just how my brain works. Comes up with solutions. I've got another project I've been working on for 4 years as a lighting effect. I'm stuck though & have figured I need a mechanical engineer.

Back
Top Bottom