My Friedman ASM-12 Review

Hey something else I wanted to add that can probably help anyone that plays thru FRFR gear.

After years of owning the Axe-FX, I finally started messing around with the speaker adjustment tab within the AMP block. I normally don't even adjust anything in there. Tonight I wanted to add a touch of treble and normally I would go to the treble and bright knobs and turn them up. I adjusted the treble frequencies and worked great. I guess I need to read more about these adjustments because if Cliff has kept this in the Axe-FX, it has to be a useful tool.

I can't believe I've owned the Axe-FX this long and still keep finding stuff. :)

i still have no idea what that page actually does :|

The originals are birch ply according to their website. Looks like its just different drivers and slightly different asthetics.
But if it sounds good then it is good. Ill hopefully get to hear and play one in the coming weeks. Looking forward to it.

The originals are birch ply according to their website. Looks like its just different drivers and slightly different asthetics.
But if it sounds good then it is good. Ill hopefully get to hear and play one in the coming weeks. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, I'm surprised more folks haven't got their hands on the ASM-12. If I was from another planet, I'd think XMann and I are the only ones who have even seen an ASM-12. :)

Lol. If we could only get him away from his Eleven Rack.

LOL! Exactly. I'm glad he puts clips up though because the Axe-FX, Eleven Rack, Helix, etc. all do the same thing but the Axe-FX does it better. I know if he does a clip with one type of preamp, it will sound even better with the Fractal action. :)

After a week or so with the Friedman ASM-12, still having an absolute blast with it. I turned the low end cut on the other day and after a few minutes, I missed the low end so much that I turned it off again. :) I guess this button is going to be dependent on how people set their presets and what type of tone they like. The low end is so tight and never gets flubby so I've been happy just keeping the low end cut button off.

Last night I went into the AMP block and slightly cut a few mid range frequencies and really gave me the tone I like. Just bringing those levels down a few notches just put it in a range that was more pleasing to my ears. I'm still using it as a wedge pointed up at me and still no harshness.

Still waiting to see when Cliff comes out with the official Quantum firmware release. I tried the beta and ended up going back to Firmware 20 because I liked the way the heavier stuff sounded with that firmware versus Quantum. I definitely want to give Quantum a whirl again though.

After a week or so with the Friedman ASM-12, still having an absolute blast with it. I turned the low end cut on the other day and after a few minutes, I missed the low end so much that I turned it off again. :) I guess this button is going to be dependent on how people set their presets and what type of tone they like. The low end is so tight and never gets flubby so I've been happy just keeping the low end cut button off.

Last night I went into the AMP block and slightly cut a few mid range frequencies and really gave me the tone I like. Just bringing those levels down a few notches just put it in a range that was more pleasing to my ears. I'm still using it as a wedge pointed up at me and still no harshness.

Still waiting to see when Cliff comes out with the official Quantum firmware release. I tried the beta and ended up going back to Firmware 20 because I liked the way the heavier stuff sounded with that firmware versus Quantum. I definitely want to give Quantum a whirl again though.

Cliff said if you want the dynamic response of 20 from Quantum, change the preamp tube type to short plate instead of Authentic.

Cliff said if you want the dynamic response of 20 from Quantum, change the preamp tube type to short plate instead of Authentic.

Is that the only adjustment? I need to give that a whirl. I backed up my presets so no biggie if I need to jump back and forth.

Dude, it worked! I'm back baby!! :)

Quantum sounds great with the Friedman. Glad I gave it another go. Really like the Dephase feature in the CAB block too.

I got to play Georgies ASM-12 and I like it.......so much I just bought one. Lol.
Wont get to thrash it till monday but looking forward to it.

And I can't wait to get them both cranking in a stereo setup, it's gonna sound HUUUUUGE!!

PS, I need to find out what this dephase thing is.. Looks promising according to the above folk..

Armed with fresh ears I set up the ASM next to my CLRs.

Made sure the input signal was exactly the same, and mono.

My conclusions are the same: the ASM pales in comparison to the CLR.

It certainly isn't flat, it's scooped without a doubt. This makes the guitar tone disappear in the mix, which was very noticeable during yesterday's rehearsal.

So I can't support / understand the claim that this cab sounds more like a guitar cab. On the contrary, a guitar cab is characterized by mids, which are attenuated in the ASM.

As reported yesterday, there's also this annoying underlying resonant bass frequency at medium to high volume levels, which seems to be generated by the cabinet enclosure (not part of the input signal), and as such is is hard to eliminate.

For the record: I don't think my unit is broken.

Finally, why put a handle at the bottom of the cab?? It almost forces the user to put the cab on its side with the vent and controls, before being able to put it down or lift it. Weird design decision.

I love Friedman's amps, they are among my favorites, but sadly this doesn't apply to the ASM.
I will send it back.

Hey Yek, sorry for digging up a somewhat old thread, but I haven't come across much direct comparison other than yours. I'm going to be buying one of these after the ax8 ships so trying to get some research done.

Your preference was pretty clear in your post. What I'm wondering is what you used as a patch to compare the two? Did you start from scratch and build a preset? The reason I ask is if you are using a patch built for the CLR than it would seem reasonable that it would not sound as good on the asm. The price difference is fairly substantial but I want to buy the right monitor once and be done.. Even though that's never happened before, so your input is much appreciated. Thx, B

Hi, I don't build presets to sound well through a specific FR monitor...
FRFR = FRFR (or should be), even though the quality varies.

My experience with the ASM wasn't a good one, but others are happy with it.

I'm still very happy with the CLRs, and have no urge to replace them.

I understand the theory but that seems like an ideal, not reality. Otherwise it would make no difference which frfr system you go with. Maybe you are saying that the CLR is much closer to the ideal flat response than the ASM?

I understand the theory but that seems like an ideal, not reality. Otherwise it would make no difference which frfr system you go with. Maybe you are saying that the CLR is much closer to the ideal flat response than the ASM?

Reality is that all FRFR systems sound different, even though they all claim they are "flat". The more flat the response the "better" with regards to accuracy I suppose, but, does more accurate always sound better ? Not, so its a trade off because what sounds good and what is accurate.

If I give up a little accuracy and in exchange love the sound, I think its worth while at the end of the day.

I'm not going to play a system I don't enjoy, and put with with shrill highs etc, just to keep telling myself "yeah I hate it, but its accurate, so I'm glad I spend $999 on this". Doesn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom