My Friedman ASM-12 Review

It just shows how we all hear things differently. I heard and played through Georgy's CLR and hated it. It just sounded sterile and flat. This is why reviews are no more than entertaining reading. If id bought a CLR based on others feedback id be so very disappointed. Youve got to play it for yourself.
Im looking forward to playing the ASM 12 as its probably going to be my kind of rig based on Georgy's first impressions of it.

It just shows how we all hear things differently. I heard and played through Georgy's CLR and hated it. It just sounded sterile and flat. This is why reviews are no more than entertaining reading. If id bought a CLR based on others feedback id be so very disappointed. Youve got to play it for yourself.
Im looking forward to playing the ASM 12 as its probably going to be my kind of rig based on Georgy's first impressions of it.

Thanks Yek for the quick review and like others have mentioned, looking forward to your comparison with the CLR!

Yeah, it is interesting how folks lean toward different things. As with anything though, your ears get used to a certain "tone". As I mentioned, I have never playing thru a CLR so not able to compare myself but based on what I've read, seems like the CLR would have more of a "crisp" sound. I think the Friedman is setup with a cut in the high frequencies but I actually love that. Definitely reminds me more of a guitar cab but that is what I want it to sound like.

I did not experience the low end frequency issue. The low end sits perfect for the tones I'm using. Yek, I was surprised about how it sounded when you stood it up. I thought it sounded similar in the wedge or upright position.

xbearxau, I actually think the reviews are helpful because there might be one thing in particular that stands out and helps someone lean one way or the other. I think it can only be a good thing for all of us FRFR guys! :)

He may have a PE in his chain. I know I have one setup on my chain using the passive CLR's because I was missing the boosted thump that I had when I had an Active CLR. If I couldn't boost those frequencies I would have sold the CLR's right away. Sad part is I like the power from the Matrix more than I liked the power built into the CLR. I did enjoy that switch. Seems to me on the ASM no boosting of low end is needed which I think is nice because I would have my amp only (no EQ).

romanianreaper, I know you play metal but have you tested playing clean through it? That is one thing that is important to me besides a great kicking OD tone.

thanks

Guys, the point of FRFR is flat response (similar to studio monitors) to be most compatible to various PA systems. I have tried and possessed several monitors (FBT Verve, QSC K10, RCF NX12-SMA, Dynacord AX-12m, Atomic CLR) and the CLR is the flattest AND best sounding of them with the RCF coming next and the FBT unusable without tweaking the hell out of it. If that doesn't deliver the sounds you want: tweak your sounds. If the Friedman sounds "more guitar friendly" it is not flat probably. If it suits you more - fine, but it won't translate to other systems as good as the flatter monitors.
Looking forward to yek's comparison!

Guys, the point of FRFR is flat response (similar to studio monitors) to be most compatible to various PA systems. I have tried and possessed several monitors (FBT Verve, QSC K10, RCF NX12-SMA, Dynacord AX-12m, Atomic CLR) and the CLR is the flattest AND best sounding of them with the RCF coming next and the FBT unusable without tweaking the hell out of it. If that doesn't deliver the sounds you want: tweak your sounds. If the Friedman sounds "more guitar friendly" it is not flat probably. If it suits you more - fine, but it won't translate to other systems as good as the flatter monitors.
Looking forward to yek's comparison!

+1

More testing tonight with fresh ears.

@Sully: I was not using a PE(Q) in my dry sounds.

I guess I dont like flat response then.
I want whatever im playing to sound and feel like a proper guitar cab, with the ability to change IRs for different tonal options.
I dont want the tone coming out of the cab at my feet to sound like im listening to a cd and thats how the CLR sounded to me.
There is no right or wrong opinion here. Im happy for anyone whos happy with their CLR. If it inspires you to play....great!

The initial video of Dave Friedman talking about the Asm12 pointed out the fact he wanted a full range box that sounded and felt more like a guitar cab not a PA speaker. His design goal obviously wasnt for people have a perfect translation between the cab and a PA but to have that cab in the room feeling with IR's that almost everyone here on this forum seems to be looking for.

Last edited:
Armed with fresh ears I set up the ASM next to my CLRs.

Made sure the input signal was exactly the same, and mono.

My conclusions are the same: the ASM pales in comparison to the CLR.

It certainly isn't flat, it's scooped without a doubt. This makes the guitar tone disappear in the mix, which was very noticeable during yesterday's rehearsal.

So I can't support / understand the claim that this cab sounds more like a guitar cab. On the contrary, a guitar cab is characterized by mids, which are attenuated in the ASM.

As reported yesterday, there's also this annoying underlying resonant bass frequency at medium to high volume levels, which seems to be generated by the cabinet enclosure (not part of the input signal), and as such is is hard to eliminate.

For the record: I don't think my unit is broken.

Finally, why put a handle at the bottom of the cab?? It almost forces the user to put the cab on its side with the vent and controls, before being able to put it down or lift it. Weird design decision.

I love Friedman's amps, they are among my favorites, but sadly this doesn't apply to the ASM.
I will send it back.

thanks for ther review :) I think for stage monitoring most people want it to sound like they normally would but out to the PA is out to the PA. Lets be honest, what is on stage is only for personal monitoring anyway.

It certainly isn't flat, it's scooped without a doubt. This makes the guitar tone disappear in the mix, which was very noticeable during yesterday's rehearsal.

So I can't support / understand the claim that this cab sounds more like a guitar cab. On the contrary, a guitar cab is characterized by mids, which are attenuated in the ASM.

As reported yesterday, there's also this annoying underlying resonant bass frequency at medium to high volume levels, which seems to be generated by the cabinet enclosure (not part of the input signal), and as such is is hard to eliminate.

Finally, why put a handle at the bottom of the cab?? It almost forces the user to put the cab on its side with the vent and controls, before being able to put it down or lift it. Weird design decision.

I love Friedman's amps, they are among my favorites, but sadly this doesn't apply to the ASM.
I will send it back.

Thanks for the insight.

Did you happen to run music through the ASM? Just curious what that would have sounded like....?

romanianreaper, I know you play metal but have you tested playing clean through it? That is one thing that is important to me besides a great kicking OD tone.

thanks

Definitely understanding wanting clean, mid gain and rock tones, especially with FRFR. I think the clean sounds great thru the ASM-12. With that said, this is probably what I'm most interested in hearing with comparisons between the two cabs. Somewhere I read (can't remember who it was) that one user played thru both and said if they only played heavy stuff they would go with the Friedman. If they played clean, they would go with the CLR. I actually think the Friedman does both wonderfully and I'm sure the CLR does as well. I think it is going to come down to frequencies, thump, etc. and not if either cab can do it, but which one people like better based on their own ears.

It is like a Marshall and Mesa. Both are tube amps, both sell well, yet people still battle on which is "better". :)

I will send it back.

Thanks for your comments Yek! Although I disagree with your assessment (the scooped tone, lack of mids, etc.), and not what I'm hearing at all, I appreciate your honesty. I'd rather have a true representation of what someone likes/dislikes than something being sugar-coated.

As I've mentioned, my low end is not over-the-top and I've actually added some to my presets. As far as the mids go, I have even dipped them slightly in some of mine and I'm glad the treble/high end is under control. More pleasing to my ears. I am not hearing a "scooped" sound. I'm hearing what sounds like a guitar cab but I don't think it sounds scooped. I have been played thru numerous rigs over the years and this is not scooped. When I hear a "scooped" sound, I think mids at 9 o'clock and lower.

Yek, I think your ears are used to your CLRs and I know the CLR is an awesome piece of gear. Otherwise they would not sell as much as they have. With that said, the Friedman sounds outstanding in my opinion and whether it is FRFR, a FRFR/Guitar Cab hybrid, etc., I know what I'm hearing thru this is amazing. I appreciate you taking the time to try this out man and everyone likes different things and that's ok. I'm glad we all have different ears.

I stand by my original review and still love this thing, especially with the newest firmware. I am still planning on eventually getting another one to take full advantage of the stereo separation, etc. :)

+1 to your last comment RomanianReaper!!

Everyone will have an opinion based on what their ears tell them BECAUSE the reality is your ears do not lie to you. Yek might prefer his CLR to the ASM, personally, I strongly dislike the CLR. I actually wouldn't want a CLR if Atomic offered them to me. I know it sounds arrogant and very anti-CLR, however I'm being honest.

Each to their own.

Okay, okay; enough with justifying one's own opinion and imagining why/how someone else may have arrived at a differing opinion. None of it is necessary.

What would be telling would be to run simple frequency sweeps on any monitor that is being tested. Sweep, measure, then publish.

Also, what should be of interest to people of our ilk is how well tones that are dialled in on other speakers (studio monitors, especially) translate over to the FRFR under review.

Okay, okay; enough with justifying one's own opinion and imagining why/how someone else may have arrived at a differing opinion. None of it is necessary.

Nobody is taking anything personal. We all have been on the forum here long enough to know that no one here is trying to hurt anyone's feelings or try to talk them into any gear. Yek is one of the primary folks on this forum that I would take advice from on the Axe-FX. The fact that we had a different experience with the cab is ok.

Nobody is taking anything personal. We all have been on the forum here long enough to know that no one here is trying to hurt anyone's feelings or try to talk them into any gear. The fact that we had a different experience with the cab is ok.

+1

Hey something else I wanted to add that can probably help anyone that plays thru FRFR gear.

After years of owning the Axe-FX, I finally started messing around with the speaker adjustment tab within the AMP block. I normally don't even adjust anything in there. Tonight I wanted to add a touch of treble and normally I would go to the treble and bright knobs and turn them up. I adjusted the treble frequencies and worked great. I guess I need to read more about these adjustments because if Cliff has kept this in the Axe-FX, it has to be a useful tool.

I can't believe I've owned the Axe-FX this long and still keep finding stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom