My FM9 is being very possessive-wants everything?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So I built my new PC, re installed everything I need and all is well, except this:
I have never (Since 2009), used my fractal gear as an AI, just because. Anyway, it now is showing up everywhere. I looked in the device itself?
Before I start disabling anything I would like to know where to look. Yup, after all the device s and all these years I just never HAD look for this.
Screenshot of Device manager below, but I don't want to disable what I don't have to. I did re-install Win 10pro x64 also.
Don't remember seeing FM9 speakers, FM9 anything here. Also, don't remember seeing Focusrite speakers here either, but that's another story.

I understand I should know, so, anyone. real PIA................
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot Audio inputs and outputs.png
    Screenshot Audio inputs and outputs.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 55
Problem is it NEVER was in the list of speakers-the icon on the right of the taskbar. When I launch my daw it defaults to FM9 speakers, which should NOT even be there. That's just one example-very frustrated.

Also I NEVER EVER had this issue before. The FM( audio input 3 definitely was never there.

I am just going to disable FM9 speaker crap to start

Last edited:
Guess I am not explaining correctly. Never was there an FM anything in audio inputs and outputs?
Never was an FM9 or 3 or any other fractal device I have owned Speaker option listed in windows.
Now this is definitely a NEWER version of Win 10 than I had installed before but still ?

I disabled all the m9 stuff new to me and all is fine (kind of) Never had to do this before and I did NOT touch the FM9 during the PC rebuild process except to plug it into the new MB usb port, which is irrelevant-or should be. Anyway, Oh well I say

If you have a Fractal device connected to your computer, and you have a Fractal USB driver installed, Fractal devices will show up in your list of I/O devices. Because they are I/O devices. Don’t get why that’s a problem — it’s what’s supposed to happen. If your DAW is defaulting to FM9, change your DAW.

Last edited:
OK. Why is it so hard to understand that before Clean re-install of -win 10 Prox64 the FM9 NEVEER was a speaker option? I get I may not be as advanced as you guys but spare me. Blindness is NOT one of my issues. FM9 Speakers NEVER (nor did FM3, Nor did any other axefx I have owned, which is all but the III.
Sorry If I sound upset but I know what I am talking about. Guess I just never should have asked. I disabled FM9 SPEAKERES in Device manager and it's gone from the speaker drop down menu-right side of taskbar where little speaker gives you a menu to select speaker output of your PC. Like realtek onboard, Focusrite, etc.
sorry I asked but I don't get why I am the bad guy here. But I can deal with it.
. And I understand WHY FM9 appears in i\o in Device manager, just never looked there before. The deal with the FM9 Speakers is what made me look. Sorry to have upset the the forum..................

OK. Why is it so hard to understand that before Clean re-install of -win 10 Prox64 the FM9 NEVEER was a speaker option? I get I may not be as advanced as you guys but spare me. Blindness is NOT one of my issues. FM9 Speakers NEVER (nor did FM3, Nor did any other axefx I have owned, which is all but the III.
Sorry If I sound upset but I know what I am talking about. Guess I just never should have asked. I disabled FM9 SPEAKERES in Device manager and it's gone from the speaker drop down menu-right side of taskbar where little speaker gives you a menu to select speaker output of your PC. Like realtek onboard, Focusrite, etc.
sorry I asked but I don't get why I am the bad guy here. But I can deal with it.
. And I understand WHY FM9 appears in i\o in Device manager, just never looked there before. The deal with the FM9 Speakers is what made me look. Sorry to have upset the the forum..................
No insult was intended. You aren't the bad guy.

If your FM9 never showed up as an I/O device on your computer, the most likely cause is that the USB driver was not installed or was misconfigured.

Is it a problem that the FM9 is showing up as a speaker? Is something happening as a result or are you just exploring WHY it is suddenly showing up as a speaker?

Is it a problem that the FM9 is showing up as a speaker? Is something happening as a result or are you just exploring WHY it is suddenly showing up as a speaker?
A little of both. Surprises bother me. But mainly just didn't understand why it was there after owning every Fractal device as stated (except III)
OK I'll end here. I would blame the jungle but that wouldn't be fair to the jungle. It's me.
Thank you all for your concern

Not sure why the FM9 is showing up now and did not previously, but the current behavior is actually what should be happening. Windows is recognizing the FM9 as an audio device for both input and output. This should not present any problems ... you just choose the audio devices you want to use as your default on the machine and do the same thing in your DAW. I think what's been difficult for others trying to help is understanding why this upsetting to you. Likely due to proper drivers, following the update, your machine is operating properly. Hope this helps.

The SPEAKER was the issue. I get the i\o part. Like I said just bnever looked there. Oh what's the use. Trust me when I say since my Standard, Ultra, etc, etc, etc, all Axefx units except the III, then 2 FM3's and the FM9 never did they appear in the speaker menu as an option for speakers. Why I have no idea. Never had any issues. And all always worked fine.I will now unwatch this thread just because I am tired of trying to explain the "actual" issue.

I get that people are only trying to help but somehow seems part of what I am saying is ignored and all posts except 2 talk about i\o under audio. I explained that.

My iMac has similar issues when the FM9 is switched on and my iTunes or YouTube is running concurrently. The iMac automatically defaults to the FM9, and no audio from my iTunes or YouTube can be heard thru my computer monitors.

It's not so much an "FM9 wanting all" as it is a Systems Preferences selective issue. If the FM9 is on, it "automatically selects" the FM9. How do I fix this?

A: Systems Prefs > Sound > Select Audio Interface for I/O (or Built-in Mac Speakers).

Doing so routes the audio through my audio interface (or iMac) for whatever purpose I might need.

I've realized that I can't have my cake and eat it, too, so it's either one or the other, not both.

Need to connect your FM9 so you can use the editor? System Prefers will default to the FM9. Need to hear FM9 audio through your computer monitors? No can do. Unless the FM9 is configured within Utilities and Audio Midi Setup, you may not be able to do this.

That may be my next AppleCare question/project: How can I configure my FM9 so I can hear FM9 audio through both my FRFR108s and/or JBL computer monitors?

The real question I might need to ask myself is, why should I? If my FRFRs provide adequate stereo, would adding my JBLs add or detract from my listening experience?

There might be all sorts of phase issues I might encounter, which might not prove beneficial.

Last edited:
My iMac has similar issues when the FM9 is switched on and my iTunes or YouTube is running concurrently. The iMac automatically defaults to the FM9, and no audio from my iTunes or YouTube can be heard thru my computer monitors.

It's not so much an "FM9 wanting all" as it is a Systems Preferences selective issue. If the FM9 is on, it "automatically selects" the FM9. How do I fix this?
I can’t speak to Macs, but on the Windows side, there’s a fix for that. With the FM9 turned on, connected, and visible to the computer, set your output device to be your computer monitors. Windows will now default to your computer monitors whenever they’re available.

partial transparency :-( The last 2 weeks I have not hardly slept due to some " lets say dreams" (see my Avatar) I use to have decades ago-not nice ones. All of sudden they came back. Don't know why.
I am so edgy and jumpy and, freaked - So please try and pardon my edgy behavior. I should and will stay off for a while.
Thanks Folks

partial transparency :-( The last 2 weeks I have not hardly slept due to some " lets say dreams" (see my Avatar) I use to have decades ago-not nice ones. All of sudden they came back. Don't know why.
I am so edgy and jumpy and, freaked - So please try and pardon my edgy behavior. I should and will stay off for a while.
Thanks Folks
Feel better, d00D....

I can’t speak to Macs, but on the Windows side, there’s a fix for that. With the FM9 turned on, connected, and visible to the computer, set your output device to be your computer monitors. Windows will now default to your computer monitors whenever they’re available.
That might work for Windows, but iMac has several separate I/Os which can't be used interchangeably. My Music/YouTube will not play through my computer monitors when my FM9 is switched on. Not unless there might be a solution by configuring my Audio Midi Setup.

I think this is a question better suited for AppleCare, and when I've more time to work with this, will ask AppleCare.

That might work for Windows, but iMac has several separate I/Os which can't be used interchangeably. My Music/YouTube will not play through my computer monitors when my FM9 is switched on. Not unless there might be a solution by configuring my Audio Midi Setup.
You are free to choose whatever audio device you want for system audio. By computer monitors, do you mean the built-in computer speakers? Just select "Speakers" as your output device from the audio output menu in the menu bar (or sound system preference). The audio from apps like your web browser that use the system audio will now come out of your computer speakers. That selection should remain set to speakers even if you turn your FM9 on or off.

Back
Top Bottom