My first moment with the Axe XL

Happy New Year to all of you!.

I bought this unit to get into the digital modelling world after years of lugging around my tube based rig. Having read all the research here I took the plunge and bought a unit from the only distributor in Australia. Its been lying unopened for three months as I assumed that I would be able to also buy at the same time the Atomic CLR (NEO) wedges which are still unavailable but promised to Australia for over a year now ! It seems to me the dealer oo struggles to get firm dates or responses from Atomic Amps - Atomic Amps - Independent Music Store

I thought I may as well start the new year with doing something positive that takes me a step closer to using this unit. So I updated the firm ware V17. A complete breeze and took less that 4 minutes.

My next step as I sit here is to research an alternative to the CLR as they are not available to me. Any thoughts on which active wedge style FRFR system is much appreciated. I am literally sitting here watching the tempo light on the XL blink away wondering what next.
confused.gif

So, if money is not a constraint I would value your veteran user thoughts as to which alternative FRFR to acquire. My needs as follows:

1. Coaxial system, maximum 12" preferably Neo magnets to keep weight down. Two active wedges.
2. At least two inputs with independent volume controls - I aim to use this as a light weight busking rig and for home studio use too.
3. DSP system a la CLR - if for small venue gigs I would hope to use one wedge in front as an active monitor and one as a back line cab just like a normal guitar combo / cab.
4. Minimum 500 Watts (I think) to 1000.

OR

An option would be to get a Power AMP with my current 2x12 Tone King Metropolitan Cab (which is 19 kgs).

Your thoughts and advice much appreciated. Thanks

I am not a clr owner I play through what ever is there to reproduce sound. I am sure the frfr is great but you are very tough to sit there watching lights and not hearing the amazing tones that are possible through any speaker set up. I would play it trough a earing aid if nothing else was available and I know it would rock! run it through your tone king get the clr when you can.

The RCF NX SMA 12 was the top of the pile before the CLR came around. If you can't get a CLR go for the RCF, the dispersion is a little less, 60* to the CLR's 90* and you don't have the input options you do with the CLR ether. A lot of people here still using them!

This idea that the CLR is the "only" or even "best" way to amplify an AXE or anything else for that matter blows my mind. In the 6 mos I've had my AXE I've gigged with 5 different powered monitors and all of them sounded incredible. Because the AXE is incredible. Once you get the hang of dialing it in any halfway decent monitor will suffice.

The best speaker is the one that does what you want. Sound first, but size, shape, weight all factor in. I found my "best" by trying a lot of speakers over a period of time. I strongly encourage you to try a lot of options, as many as you can. And take the advice you hear and read (including mine) as suggestions of options, not a "the Axe Fx is a worthless without speaker X" type of thing.

Most of the speaker manufacturers offer some sort of trial period, and that is a good thing for you! If you're looking to save money, used speakers can be good too. You lose the trial period (most times) but can sometimes get half off new price. I strongly support tallcoolone's statement that no one speaker is the best for the Axe Fx, CLR/RCF/whatever. Don't get caught up in that. Keep your mind and ears open, the search is half the fun!

if you want something for home studio use, i would definitely recommend getting a pair of dedicated studio monitors. nothing will sound better and lots of things will definitely sound much worse. even the RCFNX12's, which sound amazing for amplifying the axe live (i use the 10's) are not up to studio monitor standard

After buying my Axe I used four month learning it using a Matrix 1000 and two meager hi-fi loudspeakers. It worked just fine.
Now I have two Yamaha DSR112 wedges. Look them up. They have a very large horn that really blends in with the woofer in the critical guitar frequency range.
Top-notch built, neo-drivers and pristine electronics.
They are not studio-monitors - neither are CLR's (why should Cliff otherwise use the Opal monitors working with the Axe).
But workhorses on stage and reliable sources at home.

Thank you all for your valuable insights and experiences. I really appreciate it.
I especially am drawn to getting two really good studio monitors in addition to a powered active wedge.

My research in the last two days lead me towards the ADAM SX series (S2). My home office that doubles as a studio is 15' x 12'. The Adams are expensive in Australia but I understand they are industry standard. IN any case I was looking to get two near/mid field monitors as I also just got Logic X for my Mac and want to dabble in mastering my own backing tracks etc.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts and advice.

RCF NX12ma as stated above.....sounds very similar to the Atomic CLR (IMO).
I have both and they're both killer solutions.
XiTone is great too, but i'm not sure they have a Neo solution (can't remember).

Did I read this right? You've been sitting on a brand-new Axe-Fx for three months, and you haven't even tried it? Not with headphones, a home stereo, computer speakers or anything? My brother, you're not waiting for the perfect solution; you're just waiting for someone to say "Go."

Go.

You can thank me later. ;)

Did I read this right? You've been sitting on a brand-new Axe-Fx for three months, and you haven't even tried it? Not with headphones, a home stereo, computer speakers or anything?

+100000000000.

I had mine powered up before the packing material hit the floor........:eagerness:

It seems to me the dealer oo struggles to get firm dates or responses from Atomic Amps - Atomic Amps - Independent Music Store

That seems to be a continuing theme. I tried to go that route myself since I had the money and people seem to swear by them. After a few months I gave up, did some more research and went in a different direction. It seems like there are many credible options out there which is awesome. Hope you enjoy your new speakers!

I have tried just about every FRFR powered speaker with the exception of the CLR's...I initially purchased 2 EV ELX112-p which are 1000 watt powered cabs with 12" speakers and tweeter in a cab that weighs 38 pounds. I liked them ok but when I tried the QSC 12" I immediately fell in love. They are the same power rating, multiple input option and only weigh 32 pounds. They are also a tad smaller and now both fit in my trunk--bonus!! I highly recommend them and have never looked back!!

Welcome to the forum and the AXEFX!!!

Cheers!!

The RCF NX SMA 12 was the top of the pile before the CLR came around. If you can't get a CLR go for the RCF, the dispersion is a little less, 60* to the CLR's 90* and you don't have the input options you do with the CLR ether. A lot of people here still using them!

Love the RCF!

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom