My first gig with Axe-Fx...worst fears realised

we've all done things like that
I recall thinking my axe fx was toast when i couldn't hear any of the changes i had made. i went over everything for about 2-3 hours.
turned out i had hit the bypass button- never even noticed the light was on.

No worries. Glad the issue is resolved

j8stringer said:
I must have hit the main wheel, turning Global Power Amp
to OFF.

DOH!!!! Yeah, that'll do it.

I haven't done that one but a couple times I forgot to turn off the cab sims after using it in the studio and then hooking it to a 4x12 at the gig.

Mike Snider said:
we've all done things like that
I recall thinking my axe fx was toast when i couldn't hear any of the changes i had made. i went over everything for about 2-3 hours.
turned out i had hit the bypass button- never even noticed the light was on.

I did this very thing two nights ago.
We had a bad soundcheck & the FOH guy sent a burst of feedback across the stage that fried everybody's ears/brains. :evil:
Coincidentally, when i next played my Ultra i couldn't get any different sound other than a rather plain clean sound.
I thought my Ultra was fried.
After i regained my composure i realized that i'd hit bypass just as the feedback incident & promptly forgot about it. :oops:
That was my first live heart attack moment with the Ultra - i had no spare.
Phew!

pom_juilan.jpg

"Ha-ha! I did it! Look at me! I did it, everyone!"

In all seriousness, i thought it had to be something like that. When someone says that suddenly more than 1 patch started sounding terrible, I always wonder if they changed or messed up something globally. Anyway, I'm glad you fixed it. let us know how the next show goes.

FractalAudio said:
j8stringer said:
I must have hit the main wheel, turning Global Power Amp
to OFF.

DOH!!!! Yeah, that'll do it.

I haven't done that one but a couple times I forgot to turn off the cab sims after using it in the studio and then hooking it to a 4x12 at the gig.
+1

Glad you got it down.

Having to troubleshoot something like this at a gig sucks!
There are several things in the chain that could cause this. I've had a cable that sounded thin, hence... Mogami's can break too, I can imagine...

We should build a checklist for such occasions. I usually start at the source and work my way down the chain. Checking guitars. cables, bypassing stuff... But the Axe is a complex machine to check. So I skip that one and check the rest first. :lol:

Once in a guitar shop I was trying several medium range guitars against my own custom warmoth and they all were much clearer and lively than my costly guitar. Scared me shitless. Turned out that my tone knob, which I hardly ever use, was rolled back halfway. Took me hours to find that one. Disconnected them on all my guitars since.

Dutch said:
Turned out that my tone knob, which I hardly ever use, was rolled back halfway. Took me hours to find that one. Disconnected them on all my guitars since.

Me too on that one...accidentally turned down the tone knob instead of the volume and couldn't work out why my speaker suddenly had 'five blankets' over it! Only realised what had happened on the last song! :oops: What an idiot!

Pleased you found out what the major problem was with your sound and let us know how the next gig goes. I tell ya, its one of the best feelings in the world when something 'goes wrong' (especially at a gig) then you find out the problem and it comes back to life! :D

Made the same mistake once. I kept thinking I was overdriving the mixing board or something. It was aweful. I didn't figure it out until I came home.

After using the Axe with band for a year now, I found it very reliable and I can expect very similar sound live vs rehearsal. Practices that work for me are: EQ to venue if I have time; use less gain as I go louder; reduce verb and delay levels as I go louder; and if in large band then I stay away from pitch or chorus effects.

I leave the cab sims on or off accidentally all the time. I wonder if there's a way to work an indicator for cabs & power amp onto the front screen...

The day after a studio session, where I reamp using rear input, I had a gig. Power on th Axefx, start playing. I heard strange tone... behaviour... look at level... change eq... after the first song, when bass player give me a good hint of what was today my tone, I realise: I set input to rear using front input! Doh! :lol:

Note for Cliff: it could be useful an advertisement of global option when playing... in the main screen.

Smilzo said:
The day after a studio session, where I reamp using rear input, I had a gig. Power on th Axefx, start playing. I heard strange tone... behaviour... look at level... change eq... after the first song, when bass player give me a good hint of what was today my tone, I realise: I set input to rear using front input! Doh! :lol:

Note for Cliff: it could be useful an advertisement of global option when playing... in the main screen.
Sounding like a$$, not?

Dutch said:
Sounding like a$$, not?

Not really... he said there was something... off... so I remember I switched off front input! However, the sound wasn't as ass-ier as turning off amp or cab. Adjust the global eq doesn't feel it right, I think because it is in front of all chain, so non linearity affect it!

For Axefx V2 it seems that dummy blinkink led are needed... front input active, cab active, amp engaged... plus an alert to check mains if no sound no led no screen! :lol:

Smilzo said:
For Axefx V2 it seems that dummy blinkink led are needed... front input active, cab active, amp engaged... plus an alert to check mains if no sound no led no screen! :lol:

+1

I know if Cliff made a change for every dumb mistake we could make
it might quickly fill the front panel, but because this kind of an error
is so critical, and with all of the other distractions there are at a
gig, you turn around, your sound has changed, and there is no way
to hunt it down quickly, cause your on. Maybe a Systems screen
page, with its own button on front panel, which would give you a
readout of your current set-up, so you could see right away, what
had changed?

With the audence looking up :( , your mates looking over at you to deliver :shock: , you
can hear that somthing is wrong :oops: , could there be somthing that would
allow you to trouble-shoot quickly?

It seems like there are 2 categories of issues here. One is people that just flat out turn something they didn't mean to, and the other is those changing the Axe from one scenario to another (like studio to gig). I'm not sure how to help the first group, but it seems like the latter group would benefit from the ability to select from 1...n different profiles, where those profiles are made up of a collection of global settings. What do you think, Cliff (and everyone else)? :cool:

Smilzo said:
Dutch said:
Sounding like a$$, not?

Not really... he said there was something... off... so I remember I switched off front input! However, the sound wasn't as ass-ier as turning off amp or cab. Adjust the global eq doesn't feel it right, I think because it is in front of all chain, so non linearity affect it!

Actually, I was referring to the... back input... like the behind... like... ehm... a$$.

It was very funny the first time I thought of it. Can't remember what I'd been drinking...

Back
Top Bottom