My dirty tones are harsh and Fizzy... any pointers?

Are these your new or old presets?

First, the Money for nothing preset, your reverb block has the level set to -80, so there is no sound at all. The filter block, same deal. The cab block has an IR with a mic already baked in, and you use a mic on top of that. You also have the delay in the cab block on, even though you use only one cab (this delay is for sorting out phase issues when using multiple cabs).

For the Brothers in arms preset, the same thing with the reverb and filter block apply. You also don't need to use 2 delay blocks for what you do, you can do the same thing with either the digital stereo or dual delay type. For this preset, you use an user cab, so it's hard to judge the tone of it that way.

After I sorted out the issues with both presets being silent, and loaded the same factory cab into the Brothers preset as in the Money one, I could finally try them out. They are both VERY VERY dark. If you call that harsh, my first guess is that there is something wrong with what you're listening through. Either that, or you are allergic to high end *joke* ;) Also, try the Solo100 Rhythm instead of the Solo100 Lead, because when Mark used a SLO100, I'm pretty sure he used the rhythm channel, not the lead channel. Also, if you use the rhythm one instead, you won't have to run such extreme settings to keep the gain down.

I concur with your assessment. I downloaded both patches and after correcting the aforementioned reverb level issue, I found it to be very dark. Don't get me wrong, I actually kinda liked the tone I was getting, but it was darker than I would go for and I did not detect any fizziness or harshness. The guitar I used was my EVH Wolfgang with Suhr Thornbuckers in it, which are pretty low output humbuckers in the 8k to 9k range.

I wonder why the base config that comes stock is so user unfriendly? wouldn't you think that the presets would all be more conservative and usable then the other way around? Just sayin...

It's just as fizzy as any imperfectly mic'd cab. You'll hardly find an IR that is not fizzy right out of the box.

I wonder why the base config that comes stock is so user unfriendly? wouldn't you think that the presets would all be more conservative and usable then the other way around? Just sayin...
They're not unfriendly; they're accurate. Mic up a guitar cabinet, record it, and see what it sounds like. ;)

Getting rid of all the fizz without getting rid of the top end is just as hard with an axe-fx as it is with a real cab and mics. And probably less since you can find some IRs that will do a better job than the average cab in the average studio. The axe-fx is not a sound engineer simulator.

Back
Top Bottom