My Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 Ohm FAILED! Replaced With ATH-50x

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
One side just stopped working. Unbelievable. Only had them for about a year and a half. I was really pissed!
I wish I had searched this forum before I bought them, because I've since replaced them with the ATH-M50x, and they are much better anyway.

The amps sound more "unique", as in, the phones do a better job in reproducing the modeling aspect, and everything sounds much better. I used to complain about that high-end "fizz" you can hear when using headphones; These Audio Technica's don't have that nearly as bad. It's still evident, but now it's not overstated.

These new phones are closed-back though (the 880's were semi-open), so I really need to watch the volume, as it takes less time before my ears start ringing. And really, the reason they did, is because the presets sounded so much better, that the first day I had them, I simply played way too loud.

And they're not quite as comfortable, but still very usable for a couple hours at a time.

Oh, and Idk if Sweetwater just doesn't want negative reviews, but I tried to post my experience with the 880's, but it hasn't shown up, and it's been a few days. So I'll share my thoughts here! ;)

I feel your pain.

My Sennheiser HD600’s were eaten by my beagle last week. 😭😭

Haven’t decided what I will replace them with, but whatever it is probably won’t be as nice and expensive. In the meantime, I’m using a very ratty pair of Senn 280 Pros. Really wish he had chosen to chew them up instead.

Great headphones. Make sure you use the EQ corrections out there. They will sound even better for you.

I have the ATH-M50x and I find them really hyped in the bass frequencies. I've thought about getting the Sennheiser HD600's

I have had my DT990 Pro's for 7 years or so and they are still going strong. You may want to try a new chord. As you probably know, that chord is not plug and play type, but may very well be where the problem lies. I replaced the ear cups a couple of years ago with some sheepskin ear pads that made them so much more comfortable! Then I got the AKG 712 Pro's and game was over. They sound better and feel way better than any other headphones I have owned. I still use my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's when tracking with miced content because they are closed back unlike the DT990's and 712's!!

The amps sound more "unique", as in, the phones do a better job in reproducing the modeling aspect, and everything sounds much better. I used to complain about that high-end "fizz" you can hear when using headphones; These Audio Technica's don't have that nearly as bad. It's still evident, but now it's not overstated.

I do not have the same experience. I normally use Audeze LCD-2 but I wanted to have a closed headphone. Among others I tried the ATH-50x (influenced by the so many good reviews). But I found that they are artificial. They do not provide a transparent sound. As a reference: what I hear through the Audeze LCD-2 is the same that what I hear through the Mackie HR824 Mk I or the Genelec monitors, but what I hear through the ATH-50x is not the same. I can confidently tweak sounds at the Axe-FX or mix at the DAW with the LCD-2 as it will translate faithfully to the monitors.

That doesn't mean that they sound "bad", but they have a "signature". You cal it "unique", but I call it "inaccurate". They are not fully transparent.

I have them unused inside the box since I bought them about 3 years ago

Maybe that is a thing of all closed headphones, because I still haven't found a satisfactory one.

Audeze LCD-2 Vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.JPG

Last edited:
I have the Drop/ Senn 58x. I like them. The wife uses phones to watch TV and when her old pair died I bought the ATH50’s. Mostly cause I wanted to try them out. I prefer the 58x over the 50’s but they’re not bad.

I do not have the same experience. I normally use Audeze LCD-2 but I wanted to have a closed headphone. Among others I tried the ATH-50x (influenced by the so many good reviews). But I found that they are artificial. They do not provide a transparent sound. As a reference: what I hear through the Audeze LCD-2 is the same that what I hear through the Mackie HR824 Mk I or the Genelec monitors, but what I hear through the ATH-50x is not the same. I can confidently tweak sounds at the Axe-FX or mix at the DAW with the LCD-2 as it will translate faithfully to the monitors.

That doesn't mean that they sound "bad", but they have a "signature". You cal it "unique", but I call it "inaccurate". They are not fully transparent.

I have them unused inside the box since I bought them about 3 years ago

Maybe that is a thing of all closed headphones, because I still haven't found a satisfactory one.
Keep in mind, the comments I made re their sound, is in how they compare to the DT880's. While I can certainly appreciate they may not be the most accurate, to me they're definitely more accurate than those Beyer's were.
The amps sound more different from one another now.

The best I can describe it, is it's a step in the right direction.
You may want to try a new chord.
I tried opening them up, but wasn't successful. They're gone, as in, trashed. Literally. (I was pissed!)

After having more time with these headphones:

Maybe it's the Ohms. The ATH-M50x are 38, and the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro are 250. But OMG!!

I was pulling my hair out with the 880's, with many presets having this high-end "fizz" that sounded to me just like audio clipping, that seemed to almost be separate from the tone. I read SO MUCH about that..., it's a characteristic of modelling closed-miked cabs, how you can tame it with high-cuts, etc., etc. But nothing I did completely removed it.

But with these AT's, I don't hear it any more. There were so many clean presets that I just had to skip over, because unless I picked extremely lightly, that, I'm gonna call it 'clipping', was there. And no, it wasn't fret buzz. Or anything else for that matter, because like I said, it's not there now with these ATH-M50x's.

I'm finding using the Axe III is like Christmas all over again. I'm revisiting all the factory presets, and so many of the clean tones are now ones I would use, and I'm finding that just about every amp tone has its own distinctive voice, which must've simply been "covered up" by that fizz.

Man, WHAT a difference!

Back
Top Bottom