Good headphone suggestions

milleniumking

Inspired
Everyone, another question that i have for you fine people here.

I have a little one on the way and am going (hoping) to play with headphones at night.

Any good headphones suggestions? Im thinking in the $300 canadian range...

Thanx

I got the HD650s a few months back... Semi open, and also a little north of the budget, but they do sound really nice.

Massdrop is currently selling the HD 6XX, which is a custom version of the HD650's, for $199.99. I could've purchased the 650's, however I've heard from multiple sources that the 600's are slightly more neutral, though both are undoubtedly excellent.

Will look into the senheisers for sure. My bday is coming up as well so I have “planted the seed” in my wifes mind about the Blue mofi’s. Hehehe

Massdrop is currently selling the HD 6XX, which is a custom version of the HD650's, for $199.99. I could've purchased the 650's, however I've heard from multiple sources that the 600's are slightly more neutral, though both are undoubtedly excellent.
Just passed this on to a friend who was planning to get some 650s. ;)

Any good headphones suggestions? Im thinking in the $300 canadian range...

Where in Canada are you from?

I bought a set of Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x, from Long and McQuade. I made the decision based on almost 1000 reviews I scanned through on Amazon and they haven't disappointed. L&M matched the price on Amazon.ca, which was less than L&M's price of $199 CDN.

I use @edo's U2 presets both with my AC30 and the headphones, with amp. sims. and I hear no difference between the two.

Where in Canada are you from?

I bought a set of Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x, from Long and McQuade. I made the decision based on almost 1000 reviews I scanned through on Amazon and they haven't disappointed. L&M matched the price on Amazon.ca, which $199 CDN.

Im in The GTA ontario. Will check those out as well. Thanx!

My suggestion may not be "traditional" as far as headphones go but I highly recommend checking out the V-Moda M100. I auditioned at least a dozen headphones priced between $150 - $400 before settling on the V-Modas. They sound incredible and can also get extremely loud using the Axe or even a phone. Many similar priced headphones will need an amp to match the sound and output of the M100.

My suggestion may not be "traditional" as far as headphones go but I highly recommend checking out the V-Moda M100. I auditioned at least a dozen headphones priced between $150 - $400 before settling on the V-Modas. They sound incredible and can also get extremely loud using the Axe or even a phone. Many similar priced headphones will need an amp to match the sound and output of the M100.

Cool, thanx. Honestly out of all the sets mentioned, this one has the best review. Im going by Amazon’s reviews. Which shouldnt be taken too seriously I know.

Honestly out of all the sets mentioned, this one has the best review. Im going by Amazon’s reviews.

Based solely on Amazon, the HD600's beat it with a 5 star rating by 85% of reviewers, whereas the V-MODA's are rated 5 stars by 74% of reviewers. The 600's also had a lower 1 star rating (1%) compared to the V-MODA's(4%). In short, the rating of the 600's is higher overall. But if you don't put much stock in Amazon reviews, it's fairly irrelevant.

Based solely on Amazon, the HD600's beat it with a 5 star rating by 85% of reviewers, whereas the V-MODA's are rated 5 stars by 74% of reviewers. The 600's also had a lower 1 star rating (1%) compared to the V-MODA's(4%). In short, the rating of the 600's is higher overall. But if you don't put much stock in Amazon reviews, it's fairly irrelevant.

Hmmm.... the hd’s are pricey though. But I guess for quality I dont mind paying a bit extra.

I have not tried the HD600s. Does the Axe have any issues powering them? Also how do they sound paired with a phone? $199 is a great price...

I have not tried the HD600s. Does the Axe have any issues powering them? Also how do they sound paired with a phone? $199 is a great price...
The $199 is the price for the HD6xx... Not the HD600 or the HD650 (which they are apparently based on).

Last edited:

As mentioned, $199 is for the HD 6XX's, which is an incredible price considering they're rebranded HD 650's. As for the HD 600's, the Axe had no trouble powering them, and I've used them with an old Android phone(Moto G), to which they sounded great to my ears. Granted, the phone won't drive them at earsplitting levels, but that's just as well in my case.

Back
Top Bottom