My AX8 is showing the incorrect firmware rev

jzucker

Experienced
when I first got it, it was showing 1.0b. I just updated to the latest firmware posted here and it's still showing 1.0b

anyone?

and i'm confused why my device is showing 1.0b. I have seen no mention of a firmware 1.0b. 1.0b would be above 1.01. This is very puzzling.

ok, i think I see what's going on . 1.0b is the boot code firmware rev, i'm guessing because when I go into the firmware rev from the utility menu it says 1.01.

You might consider adding something to the 2 firmware pages to clarify which one you're looking at.

Chris, if you read the rest of the thread you'll see that it's the boot rev that's 1.0b
i did read the rest of the thread. it's not that long. sorta rude to insinuate that i didn't read the entire thread. i used the term "boot code" because that's what you said previous to my post.

i don't understand how your response at all addresses my question.

rephrasing my previous question: how do you get to the screen that displays what you're now calling the boot rev?

your original posting asked how I got to the revision screen. I didn't realize you didn't know how to get to that screen but to get there, you power on while holding the lock button

your original posting asked how I got to the revision screen. I didn't realize you didn't know how to get to that screen but to get there, you power on while holding the lock button
i see.

i stand corrected, as the manual does indeed mention this special function screen, but it is in context of FW Recovery.
i would say that 99.9% of AX8 users don't know that, since it's not documented anywhere. i'm guessing support instructed you at some point? it's true, i did not know about that hidden screen.

for anyone reading this thread, it is advised to NOT go to hidden screens and menus unless specifically instructed by FAS staff. so don't go into that secret menu, as you might mess something up.

the only place to view the Firmware version on your device is the Utility Firmware menu as instructed in the manual, and not that special hidden menu only viewable upon power up.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 1.50.12 PM.png

Last edited:
no, support didn't tell me that. I read it either on here or on a google search. Again, I didn't know it was a hidden menu. I just did a google search about how to determine your ax8 firmware and that's what came up.

no, support didn't tell me that. I read it either on here or on a google search. Again, I didn't know it was a hidden menu. I just did a google search about how to determine your ax8 firmware and that's what came up.
crazy.

i might suggest open the PDF version of the manual and search there first before heading to the who-knows-if-its-accurate internets ;)

edit - as mentioned below, this secret menu is actually mentioned in the manual, but in the context of a FW recovery function, and not a normal menu to go to otherwise.

Last edited:
it indirectly states how to get to that firmware menu on page 90 of the ax8 manual

here's a post that describes the secret menu, also mentioned in the manual as you've just said:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-to-fractal-with-ax8-need-some-help.110951/#post-1327766

From page 89 of the manual:
"The AX8 has a built in recovery routine. Power the unit off. Hold down the SHIFT button, and then power the unit on. Hold the button for about one second beyond the power up, and then release. Turn the page to the FIRMWARE screen, and you will be able to install firmware using Fractal-Bot."

this menu is referenced to specifically as the recovery routine. perhaps it is assumed someone would only go to this Firmware screen when trying to perform the recovery routine. perhaps this isn't the case. maybe that's why it was "indirectly stated."

let this serve as a community announcement then:

The hidden power-up-only menu's Firmware page is not where you look for the current Firmware installed on your AX8. The Firmware page in the easily accessible Utility menu is where you look for that information. It is suggested to not go into the recovery menu unless you are trying to perform a recovery operation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom