Muting cabs not in use

Dunconia

Inspired
I ran across this today when I was making my own patch from a couple of Austin Buddy amps. Basically, I am using 2 amp blocks and 2 cab blocks separately with 3 or 4 cab irs mixed together for each. I noticed that the cpu usage was over 80%. I figured out that the bypassed cab was still taking up resources. If I mute the irs in the bypassed cab block, the percentage goes down around 67%. Am I missing something? I know the amp section has an option for mute when bypassed. Does the cab block?

I figured out a workaround BTW. I have to mute all the cabs in one channel and switch to that channel when on the scene where I’m using the other amp/cab block. Easy enough.

I ran across this today when I was making my own patch from a couple of Austin Buddy amps. Basically, I am using 2 amp blocks and 2 cab blocks separately with 3 or 4 cab irs mixed together for each. I noticed that the cpu usage was over 80%. I figured out that the bypassed cab was still taking up resources. If I mute the irs in the bypassed cab block, the percentage goes down around 67%. Am I missing something? I know the amp section has an option for mute when bypassed. Does the cab block?
Loading an IR slot and not muting that slot uses CPU because it has to be ready to make sound at any moment. If you bypass any block - including the cab block - it still uses CPU because again, it needs to be ready to make sound at any moment it is Engaged.

If you mute an individual slot in the Cab block, this frees up CPU because that slot is not “ready to go.”

This has nothing to do with the Bypass mode Mute or Thru of the entire block.

That makes sense. I would be better off setting up everything using channels anyway. It was just because of how I was putting the patch together at the time.

I figured out a workaround BTW. I have to mute all the cabs in one channel and switch to that channel when on the scene where I’m using the other amp/cab block. Easy enough.
New problem, if I mute all Cabs, I still hear allot of "digital guitar sound" as if no Cab IR is used at all in the chain ! This can't be right, now I can't make an output to FOH.

New problem, if I mute all Cabs, I still hear allot of "digital guitar sound" as if no Cab IR is used at all in the chain ! This can't be right, now I can't make an output to FOH.
Are you on the latest firmware (2.04)? There was a bug fixed there relative to the Air parameter in the Cab block that I think was passing signal it should not have.

I might be confusing 2 issues, though.

I don’t understand this at all. If you mute all cabs, then you aren’t using a cab sim.

Why are you muting all cabs?

If "Air" is on it "leaks" signal, I have FW 2.04 now and it still does. Chris, I only muted all the cabs to test it.

Is it possible to mathematically sum multiple impulse responses to make a single cab IR?

Yes. Using a ToneMatch you can create one single IR that is the combination of all the IR's (factory or user) loaded into the CAB block. No need for using CabLab

Here is the template for doing that:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1984

And the instructions:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-export.71847/#post-952408

"It consists of 3 scenes :
- Scene 1 is the resulting tonematched sound
- Scene 2 is the factory cab original sound
- Scene 3 is the one you must set to capture another factory cab IR, where both Cab and direct sounds are transmietted to TMA block "

No need for arithmetic, slide rulers, snapping pencils or forgetting to carry the 1... If you want to sum (mix) IR's, just use CabLab and be done with it.

CabLab makes it very easy.

Good luck!
As mentioned above, you can't use CabLab with factory IRs...

Reactions: ang
Back
Top Bottom