Multi-Screen DIY controller

I do eventually want mine to use the graphic images from or similar to the unit and Axedit too. So the idea is if I assign a controller to a momentary footswitch the TFT display above it will show that block image as background and the control it's assigned to.

I know that won't always work though because you can assign one controller to many things in the preset... so maybe not ;-) Just need to figure out a cool way to handle it.
Hey there

Somewhere in this thread @prongs_386 explains how he has graphics of effecttypes in his screens used with SD card. I use .jpg and convert them to binary and show them in the screens without SD. It uses a lot of memory and loading time is 80ms per image, but it works pretty good. My avatar is an image in one if my screens

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
OMG..... this little creep right here cost me 2 weeks of development. That was a cracker to get the 16 channel multiplexer working with the Teensy 4.1

20230413_160425.jpg

Finally got it working because of a quote from Paul Stoffregen to add 5 miliseconds to the library. The Teensy is just too fast for the MUX to condition the electrical circuit and stay stable.
Also I had to add 10k resistors on the switches and connect these to the VCC! (What? I never would have thought of this myself lol). But Its finally working now.

20230413_160514.jpg 20230413_003239.jpg

Cool, now I have 12 free pins to abuse

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Oh mate, I have the parts all just sitting there for 2 years (including two Teensy 4.1 boards). But I kept getting stuck on the enclosure, and then that I want to use another larger screen in addition to the screens per footswitch, and also custom LED rings for the switches that could be animated.

I keep succumbing to the age old engineer/hobbyist project problem: Feature creep...

But I am VERY happy to see yours working so well. Maybe I will just stop with the stupidity and build it exactly as you did... It will be better than my current MIDI control setup in any case.

Oh mate, I have the parts all just sitting there for 2 years (including two Teensy 4.1 boards). But I kept getting stuck on the enclosure, and then that I want to use another larger screen in addition to the screens per footswitch, and also custom LED rings for the switches that could be animated.

I keep succumbing to the age old engineer/hobbyist project problem: Feature creep...

But I am VERY happy to see yours working so well. Maybe I will just stop with the stupidity and build it exactly as you did... It will be better than my current MIDI control setup in any case.
Hey there

This reaction is going to hijack @prongs_386 his thread, sorry for that. But the Teensy is such a big step forward in addition to the Due version everyone could benefit.

The Teensy project is still in development, but is working fully with the Teensy 4.1 as it works on the Arduino Due. Differences are major though. Not only is the screenrefresh faster on the Teensy (like instantly) but also using a MicroSD card and the FASlink phantom power over CAT6 has advantages.

Ohh, and it works with MK1 AND MK2 🤘

Teensy software build:
The framework exist off libriary files, that work like .ini files. In these files you can set your own pin settings for the screens and switches, but also text and background color setup for all the screens.
With the Teensy, I could export my .hex file and you can flash that, so your personal settings (pin, colors etc) won't be effected.

I am on holiday atm, but when I return I will make a short video off the working Teensy and can make abuild instruction that I will share in THIS thread.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
I started my axefx library on arduino nano and quickly switched to teensy. It is a far better platform, so snappy!
Yes Teensy is really a big step up... more calculationpower and also big support on the Teensy forum. I got a lot of great support from that forum and even Paul Stoffregen ( the man himself) reacts quite often.

Cheers 🍻

So, to keep my (and other's) enthusiasm high... Inspired by the lower than expected cost of Send-Cut-Send... I've designed my own 5052 folded aluminium enclosure. Initial render: FC_ProtoRender_Custom.PNG

To Do:
Use larger TFT with either RPi or MinnowBoard Turbot (those are long EOF but I have one kicking around). Using the Minnowboard (at least in part) might mean the option of running windoze (with AxeEdit) or Android (with FracPAD-III) which would remove the need to carry around a laptop as well... But then, this is all just feature creep ideas and I really ought to use the Teensy and run with it...

I need to implement your feature to choose presets per button or number.
How do you solved the problem to fetch the next/last 10 preset names?
Hey there

About the presetNumber and Names. There is library update for the axecontroller which gives the ability to fetch ALL preset names now. Really cool feature 🤘
I store the names on the SD card and can update the SD card preset names with a pushbutton. The program reads the info from the SD.

Cheers 🍻

Back
Top Bottom