Multi-Screen DIY controller

I moved to teensy pretty early on and they are ridiculous. So much faster.
Hey there,

Yes it seems like a good investment performance wise. I will be able to give a full testreport in about 2 weeks what are the benefits of the teensy 4.1 in adition to the Arduino Due.

Cheers 🍻

That would be awesome, but although the teensy can do midi over usb, I don’t believe the axefx 3 can. (I’ve heard that the 2 could?)

That would be awesome, but although the teensy can do midi over usb, I don’t believe the axefx 3 can. (I’ve heard that the 2 could?)
Axe edit does it right? Its the same principle I guess. I'm testing some tomorrow and find out.

I dont think the teensy can send Sysex though, but only midi commands.

To be continued

Isn’t it just AxeEdit proprietary protocol that works over USB? I was under the impression that it didn’t listen for plain MIDI. The proprietary protocol is MIDI sysex, but not public.
Sysex (short for system exclusive) is the part of the midi spec where manufacturers can put their non-standard proprietary-protocol stuff. It's part of the midi standard, but the specific meaning of each maker's data isn't defined in the spec itself, it's up to each manufacturer to describe it publicly, or not. Many makers choose to make it public, so other software and hardware makers can work with it too, but not all, as in Fractal's case.

The overall "container" for proprietary data is part of the midi spec, and Fractal's sysex is midi.

Hey there @prongs_386

The development on the Teensy 4.1 got some setback (waiting on several parts to drop in from China) so I started developing some new features on the prototype peddleboard.

The Arduino due peddleboard got some function add-on's and updates.

New:
*Hold function for various purposes.
*Effects are shown on the scenepage.
*Ability to toggle effects on the scenepage
(Reset the default effect state of each effect when reselecting the scene)
*Tuner in the centre screen (your awesome tuner)
*Toggle tuner type: pyramid or circle
*TapTempo flashlight on screen
*Toggle TapTempo flashlight: 4 circles or 1 Bar

updates:
*Hold to enter the looperpage
*Hold to jump through the preset banks
*Effects reset to default effect state going from the effectpage to scenepage

The development on the hold function whas a real B#tch because my buttons are really bouncing on every millisecond. Tried several bouncedelay libraries, but that didn't work.
Eventually I managed to fight the bouncing with ms management in the code and also dealt with the option when I keep my foot on the button forever, so the code will wait untill I release. Took me a loooooooong time to get it right, but I got there.

I shot another video to show how it works
(and what isnt working ;) )

Sorry for the UHHHH and I, I, I, in the video. Just can't help doing that I guess.

Cheers

Hey there @prongs_386
How are you doing, its been a while. Developing on this project never gets boring, so recently I picked up the development for the teensy 4.1 microcontroller again. Big plans to make it fully functional using only RJ45 cat6 with phantom power from the AxeFXIII. Also will try to connect 2 expression-pedals to the fractal with a single RJ45 cat6 cable (havn't tested that yet, but should work).

For the new howsing I bought a Hammond enclosure 1456RL1BKBK, that is just a perfect fit.

Stay tuned, will update fttt with the progressions.

20230217_140329.jpg

20230216_172307.jpg

Very nice!. Question - I have all the bits for months and months to build this, but the thought of making rectangular holes in the steel enclosure has me baulking. I see you start with drilling them, but do you have any other advice or video you could share for making this metalwork less intimidating? I wish I had a shop with a hydraulic press and square dies accessible to me but... I don't <sigh>.

Many thanks!,
Ben.

Very nice!. Question - I have all the bits for months and months to build this, but the thought of making rectangular holes in the steel enclosure has me baulking. I see you start with drilling them, but do you have any other advice or video you could share for making this metalwork less intimidating? I wish I had a shop with a hydraulic press and square dies accessible to me but... I don't <sigh>.

Many thanks!,
Ben.
Hey there

Its not impossible brother. The 6mm holes are there for a jigsaw blade to enter.
When you clamp the project properly, you can very easily jig out the square hole. Its a no brainer if you have done one. Find a practice piece of metal and cut out a square, you will see it is easy. Just use a cuttingblade for metal and you are good to go.

What plans do you have for the build? What microcontroller and screens/switch layout ?

Cheers 🍻

Many thanks!,
Ben.
Greenlee makes die sets you can crank with hands tools. I've used the ones for big circular holes, not rectangular, but I'm pretty sure they make them. That was long ago, so I'm not 100% positive they exist at all any more, but I bet they do, quality stuff.

Hey there @prongs_386
How are you doing, its been a while. Developing on this project never gets boring, so recently I picked up the development for the teensy 4.1 microcontroller again. Big plans to make it fully functional using only RJ45 cat6 with phantom power from the AxeFXIII. Also will try to connect 2 expression-pedals to the fractal with a single RJ45 cat6 cable (havn't tested that yet, but should work).

For the new howsing I bought a Hammond enclosure 1456RL1BKBK, that is just a perfect fit.

Stay tuned, will update fttt with the progressions.

View attachment 116279

View attachment 116276
Hey how's it going? Glad you're still having fun with this. My unit is still going strong.

Will be interested to see how clean you get the cutting doing it with the jigsaw. Mine was done with drilling the corners (to avoid a weak corner) and then a rotary tool. But mine did end up pretty rough. I thought about 3d printing some bezels to hide the shoddy work but haven't got around to it. I kind of like the rustic look 🙂

Hey there

Its not impossible brother. The 6mm holes are there for a jigsaw blade to enter.
When you clamp the project properly, you can very easily jig out the square hole. Its a no brainer if you have done one. Find a practice piece of metal and cut out a square, you will see it is easy. Just use a cuttingblade for metal and you are good to go.

What plans do you have for the build? What microcontroller and screens/switch layout ?

Cheers 🍻
At the suggestions here, I got a couple of Teensy 4.1 boards and was going to do it with one of those. But then I thought it might lend the project to other uses down the road if I use something more powerful like a single board computer (Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi). Then I can put a big touch screen on it and such. But this is the real problem - I end up overthinking and really I should just do it with Arduino since the library was already written for that environment...

At the suggestions here, I got a couple of Teensy 4.1 boards and was going to do it with one of those. But then I thought it might lend the project to other uses down the road if I use something more powerful like a single board computer (Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi). Then I can put a big touch screen on it and such. But this is the real problem - I end up overthinking and really I should just do it with Arduino since the library was already written for that environment...
Hey there

I will start a new thread as this thread is build on the Arduino Due and the new setup will be on the Teensy 4.1

Cheers 🍻

Hey how's it going? Glad you're still having fun with this. My unit is still going strong.

Will be interested to see how clean you get the cutting doing it with the jigsaw. Mine was done with drilling the corners (to avoid a weak corner) and then a rotary tool. But mine did end up pretty rough. I thought about 3d printing some bezels to hide the shoddy work but haven't got around to it. I kind of like the rustic look 🙂
Hey there @prongs_386

All is going good.. I got the time to play the guitar for quite some time and changed some guitars. Never got to play a gig, but someday this will happen and then I would like to use my gear as I use at home so I'm changing my setup to a more mobile setup including a road ready peddleboard 😅.

How is your album coming together? Are you online with your music? Hope to hear it some day.

As mentioned previously, I will start a new thread for the Teensy build and will update the progress there.

The Arduino Due adventure ends here for me, but the development will continue

Thank you @prongs_386 for your awesome thread and great support 🤘

Cheers 🍻

Absolutely excited to build one of these.
I have my first Axe FX 3 on the way. Long time software engineer, also have experience building things in CAD for metal fabrication, PCB/electronics fab, etc. This looks like the perfect blend.

+1 for the Teensy. I have a ton of the 3.2s and they've been rock solid. Interestingly enough, if using an ESP32, we could get the processing power, same arduino programming interface and have wireless connectivity for things like app control (though that wifi chip is pretty noisy).

I've loved sifting through the code and conversation!
-- Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom