Multi-Screen DIY controller

Interesting upgrade!

Since I have still not started connecting my dirty wires to the Arduino Due, I may consider jumping on your wagon

20220315_174227.jpg
I came late with the idea of the daisy-chain ribbon. Half of the wires are dirty single cables and half are dirty rainbow ribbon

20220315_174247.jpg

Hey there

The solution is simple for daisy chaining

I got these items from the Chinese store
SmartSelect_20220315-120415_AliExpress.jpg

And

SmartSelect_20220315-120351_AliExpress.jpg

Not expensive and will definitely do the job

Nice, definitely keen to hear how this goes but looks like you should have no trouble using this board.

It would be interesting to see if you could get python working on this as it would make development a lot easier!
Hey there @prongs_386

Yes Python is possible. I follow this gentlemen on youtube, his tutorials are amazing.
https://youtube.com/c/mcwhorpj

But, the c++ to me is under control... I can manage but yes, Python is much easier

I just have to learn to use json, that would make the use of a GUI more efficient.
Now i have created libriary files for personal settings in V7, so the updates dont effect these settings. But it would be easier if it whas GUI controlled.

Learning this stuff is fun...

Cheers

Oh. I didn't consider the 8-pin terminal plugs, so I was brutely soldering directly to the board 😅

Would there be any advantage of the angled terminal over the straight terminal? Perhaps to reduce height?

View attachment 98052
That whas my question also, so i bought both :)

EDIT: just got a reply that due to the pandemic whole city of shenzen is closed. dmn didnt know the virus got back again . 🙏 for the Chinese

Last edited:
Are you kidding me.... this is amazing

This little guy right here is going to speed up the processing 24.357 times faster than the Arduino Due? WOW!

20220316_140945.jpg

Hey there @prongs_386

Long time ago on page 1 in this thread you discussed the following about powering the screens with the Arduino Due

" Regarding power usage, my screens were rated at 30ma so with 15 running that's 450ma. The Arduino due can run 500ma. I was a bit worried about this but you can supply extra power if you need to (not via the usb port but via din input), or you could run the VCC on a completely independent circuit to the arduino. So this is definitely a solvable problem but worth planning for."

The Teensy has 250ma max output so not enough for 15 TFT and 1 lcd.

I would like to use your option to completely run the VCC on a independent circuit. How would you approach such a solution?

Thnx in advance

Oh, i got my schema for the new setup, it all fits perfectly, only 1 spare pin left haha, use it to the MAX.

Screenshot_20220318-142321_Print Spooler.jpg

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Hey are you planning on powering it via USB or vin?

If via vin then should be easy. Just wire the power source onto both the vin and the VCC on the screens. Used the same ground for the power source and the screens. So essentially it's just powered on parallel to the teensy.

If you are powering via the USB, then I don't know if the 450ma constraint applies between the USB vcc and the vin on the board. Based on the schematic of the teensy you should be ok.

If the screens only support 3.3v and not 5v then get a step down converter chip to put in between the teensy vin and the screen VCC. By doing this rather than using the teensy 3.3v step down you avoid the 250ma constraint.

I'm not really an expert on this stuff so maybe someone else has some better advice but this is what I'd try.

Hey there thnx for the reply @prongs_386

I just found out that the Teensy VIN has 500ma as output, but then I am still not quite shure what to do with that info (no expert either).

Do I need to add a 3.3V regulator between the VIN and the screens VCC? I found a cool and simple way to regulate 5V to 3.3 so that could work 😀

Screenshot_20220320-151945_Gallery.jpg

I have created a forum account on the PJRC and found a topic related to this issue. Have asked a question there. Hope there is a expert to help me out with this question before i fry the Teensy .

Will post back if I have made any progress

Cheers

Last edited:
Oh. I didn't consider the 8-pin terminal plugs, so I was brutely soldering directly to the board 😅

Would there be any advantage of the angled terminal over the straight terminal? Perhaps to reduce height?

View attachment 98052
Hey there

NOTE TO SELF:
Dont drink beer and order stuff.
I bought the wrong items 🤦. I bought the 5.5mm 8pin instead of the 2.54mm 8pin

These are the correct ones:
€ 1,03 23%OFF | KF128-2.54 2P 3P 4P 5P 6P 7P 8P 9P 10P 12P 16P Splice Terminal KF128 2.54Mm Pcb Mini Schroef Terminal Blokken Voor Draden 5/10Pcs
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vNAtIW

Waiting time to build the new peddleboard increased with 4 weeks dmn.

Now time for another beer 🍺 👌

Cheers

Hey there @ prongs_386

== Sunday update :) ==

Last week I got a working solution showing AMP names in the ABCD channels, really conveinient.
I was hoping to gett a HOLD function working so it would give the ability to add scene ignore on the fly on whatever AMP you would select, but that part is not working at all. Maby its the momentary switches I have used are not able to work with a hold function.
This version will be on githubb soon as V7.1

-> New SONGS update 19.06Beta<-
Now that song are available I hope it will be switchable with Midi, I have a pretty good idea how to make a new page for SONGS and showing the songs on all screens. This could be awesome.
My goal is to get the SD card off the Teensy 4.1 working as a libriary that can easily be edited with a desktop or mobile device.

Have a nice Sunday
Cheers 🍻

Hey I can't see them adding the midi for songs unfortunately. Fortunately we can build the whole songs feature ourselves.

On the hold function there shouldn't be anything wrong with your switches, they are all pretty sensitive. So while holding you'll still end up with on/off rapidly happening. So you need an algorithm for smoothing out the signal.

Hey I can't see them adding the midi for songs unfortunately. Fortunately we can build the whole songs feature ourselves.

On the hold function there shouldn't be anything wrong with your switches, they are all pretty sensitive. So while holding you'll still end up with on/off rapidly happening. So you need an algorithm for smoothing out the signal.
Hey there @prongs_386

On both reactions you really got my attention man 😅

Hoping that the command for songs will be added to the midi like how scenes work.. cc:34;0 = scene 1 cc:34;1 = scene 2 etc.. that way its easy to jump to a song using song banks. Just selecting songs wont be that difficult to add to midi would it?

Last edited:
They've said it isn't on the roadmap. I'm sure there would be a way but perhaps it'll just stay as a fc differentiator, so they're not incentivised to add to midi.

But yeah it's a pretty simple concept really. The feature people have been asking for of per section tempo could be built easily as well. Not sure if it would fit in memory on the due, but would be fine on your teensy.

For the HOLD function I am reading several options at the moment. Some options are pretty usefull.

About the timing flash... That is a function that could be cool, but without a "click" sound it would not be effective to have a flash but you dont know when it will go on/off. Now you can mesure the beat following the flash because it is consistent, but as I am trying to get the rythm of Meshuggah's Bleed under control ( Im on 70% tempo 🤣), a flashing light will not be any helpfull.

Without a sysex or CC: the song quest to implement will be over very quickly.

Cheers 🍻

Hey there @prongs_386

== Friday update ==

The items are dropping in from the Chinese sellers. The 2.54 solder connectors fit like a charm. Now it is possible to daisy chain without soldering any cables.

20220422_095333.jpg

The build will start around mid June.

Next week I will start to make a beginning to edit the existing Arduino Due code to work with the teensy 4.1 so it will/can accept to flash the Arduino program.

Have a great weekend 👍

Cheers 🍻

Hey there @prongs_386

sneak preview: the Teensy 4.1 is amazing fast.... Without ridiculous adjusting my code, it flashed on the teensy and is working.
It still needs all the hardware to be connected to fully test if the teensy is really an upgrade or just a diffrent microcontroller.

for what ive seen sofar... serial monitor is blazing fast, so the code is running faster on the teensy.
Buildup of the TFT ST7735 is really fast, like blinking with your eye. The screen updating with the Due is much slower.

Promising update / upgrade

Will update when i make some progress.

Cheers

20220905_225055.jpg
20220905_225016.jpg
VideoCapture_20220905-225129.jpg
20220905_225842.jpg
20220905_225936.jpg

Cool. I might have to make the shift as well at some point. Everything still running solidly with mine for now though.
Its a small investment for the teensy, but im not sure yet if it is worth it to rebuild.
I am building a new peddleboard with new hardware, so me changing to a Teensy is because of that.

The Due peddleboard is working perfect. I have zero issues and all the functions are working perfectly and fast, but can it go faster? I hope so ;)
Your sprite circle tuner still is my favorite addition to the program, just love it man.

Cheers 🍻

Back
Top Bottom