Multi-Fractal Horror Show Stage Tour

Love his playing and music. Long-time fan. CC, I'm curious about something. Are his tones EQ'd at the house board to fit in the mix? His tones sound amazing by themselves which typically doesn't fit well in a mix (too much high and lows). Just wondering because my live tones sound crappy by themselves, but fit in the mix. Wondering if maybe I'm overdoing the high/low cuts.

One of my early guitar heroes!

So glad he’s with fractal , for those who want a lil secret from an older video for his tones…

It’s just the factory friedman presets!

can’t wait to watch this video

Love his playing and music. Long-time fan. CC, I'm curious about something. Are his tones EQ'd at the house board to fit in the mix? His tones sound amazing by themselves which typically doesn't fit well in a mix (too much high and lows). Just wondering because my live tones sound crappy by themselves, but fit in the mix. Wondering if maybe I'm overdoing the high/low cuts.
Believe it or not, my sound guy does next to no EQing from what I give him. It sort of freaks him out that he doesn't really have to do anything but a little low cut. I know it sounds crazy! 💀

Very cool and spooky! Sounds great!

@Cooper Carter -
How is the "FOH Mute" implemented? Is it a global thing he can access at any time?
FOH mute is just using a control switch to mute one of the outputs (or more specifically, to turn the volume of that output to zero). Running in mono as I do, this enables me to "mute" the output going to FOH while leaving the output going to my ears to remain on. I'm sure this can be done running stereo as well. Honestly, this has been such a help to me from warming up side stage as I wait to go on to confirming that my rig is up and rolling without getting surprised when I get on the stage. Mark Day was the dude that turned me on to this great feature!

FOH mute is just using a control switch to mute one of the outputs (or more specifically, to turn the volume of that output to zero). Running in mono as I do, this enables me to "mute" the output going to FOH while leaving the output going to my ears to remain on. I'm sure this can be done running stereo as well. Honestly, this has been such a help to me from warming up side stage as I wait to go on to confirming that my rig is up and rolling without getting surprised when I get on the stage. Mark Day was the dude that turned me on to this great feature!
So your IEM is a mix of your direct sound and a board feed for containing everyone else? Do you control that mix with your own gear, or...?

Neil @Enzee - awesome! Thanks for answering here on the forum. Sounds great and the show looks amazing!

May I assume you're using dual mono, sending the same video both to FOH and your IEM. That FOH mute can be assigned with a Volume block and setting up the side to mute the signal being sent to FOH.

Using the idea of the FOH Mute (thanks), I just set up a switch on my FC-6 to bypass Out 2 which is my FOH output. In-Ears are on Out 1. Should work great. Thanks for the idea!

So your IEM is a mix of your direct sound and a board feed for containing everyone else? Do you control that mix with your own gear, or...?
Hey Rex. Great question and we could probably do an episode on how we route for IEMs and the playback system itself. The short answer it that the band runs all of our IEMs feeds from a Midas X32 system (or sometimes an Allen and Heath depending on if our production guy is there). We all adjust our mix via an iPad on the stage. However, for me, I have one additional step. I run a Shure PM4 half rack space mixer that is sent to my IEMs. I take a channel of the overall mix (click, slate, misc stuff) from the Midas and then I take IEM out on my Fractal III into another channel. While that might seem like an extra unnecessary step, it allows me to have two analog knobs on stage should I want to adjust anything on the fly quickly instead of reaching for an iPad. It's been very helpful to me for fast adjustments. This is sent to my Sennheiser IEM system. I love the four outputs out of the III as it gives me so many options. I hope that helped!

Hey Rex. Great question and we could probably do an episode on how we route for IEMs and the playback system itself. The short answer it that the band runs all of our IEMs feeds from a Midas X32 system (or sometimes an Allen and Heath depending on if our production guy is there). We all adjust our mix via an iPad on the stage. However, for me, I have one additional step. I run a Shure PM4 half rack space mixer that is sent to my IEMs. I take a channel of the overall mix (click, slate, misc stuff) from the Midas and then I take IEM out on my Fractal III into another channel. While that might seem like an extra unnecessary step, it allows me to have two analog knobs on stage should I want to adjust anything on the fly quickly instead of reaching for an iPad. It's been very helpful to me for fast adjustments. This is sent to my Sennheiser IEM system. I love the four outputs out of the III as it gives me so many options. I hope that helped!
Thanks for the explanation. Neil. That clears it up. The feed you get from the desk has no “you” in it, right?

One place I play regularly also has has an Allen & Heath desk, and we each mix our IEMs on our phones/tablets. That works well, except when FOH has me muted, and I can’t hear myself play. Sadly, my FM9 floor rig offers no handy place for a mini-mixer, and the IEM transmitters are in the booth, anyway, so not much opportunity to run it the way you run it.

I watched this video three times! Totally awesome! The sound, the cool guitar, and Neil seems like a great guy.

Back
Top Bottom