Multi Dly BLEW MY SPEAKERS

shag331

I am really mad. I was using axe and am a new user, I updated all firmware/software, im exploring happily through my presets (the ones that came on it) and I tap the multi dly button on my mfc101, BLALALALLALA, very loud and awful noise, and then I smell a voice coil and my speaker cab goes silent. I fried two expensive celestions, what the HELL.....

I am really mad. Now I have to buy new speakers and am out 250 bucks. Grrrrr....

What is this??? How do I stop it, I looked at that effect through many presets its set the same way!??! Don't they know that this will ruin ppls speakers?

VERY ANGRY......If this is something in the firmware, Fractal should be buying my speakers, not me.

:evil

BTW, I WILL be calling them....this is BS. They must fix this immediately or someone else will have this happen, BE CAREFUL WITH MULTI DLY

How loud did you have your amp? Also, Were you matching ohms settings and does the maxe power on your speakers exceed that of your amp?

Bummer, man.
I'm having a hard time understanding how a delay preset could blow a speaker, though, unless the rig was already in a weakened state. A patch only sends a sound signal to a speaker driver, which reproduces it. I tend to think it may have been more of a coincidence that it occurred when you had that patch going; it may have occurred anyway, with some other patch.
Sorry about the speakers, but maybe it was "just time".

I've had the multi-delay go absolutely berserk on me before, like instant and incredibly loud feedback loop. I could definitely see it blowing someones speakers, turning the volume off didn't stop it either, had to hit the tuner VERY quickly. No clue why it happened though, none of feedback settings were all that high.

I've had the multi-delay go absolutely berserk on me before, like instant and incredibly loud feedback loop. I could definitely see it blowing someones speakers, turning the volume off didn't stop it either, had to hit the tuner VERY quickly. No clue why it happened though, none of feedback settings were all that high.

That's it, totally what happened, my volume was nowhere near super loud, a bit above bedroom level. When it occurred it grew louder very quickly, I couldn't get to the foot controller fast enough to stop it in time. I will not be using Multi Delay again till they fix whatever caused this.

Oh well, gave me the push I needed to get some Delta Pro 12 A's. BTW, my amp is a Matrix GT1000fx, speaker cab was rated at 100 watts and the amp was running stereo, ohms don't matter that much on this rig due to the matrix amp, my other cab had JBL G125-8's in it and handled the incident without damage, but the two celestions, died quickly. I would have been VERY mad if my JBL's had fried, those are impossible to get now, they are like EV12L's, and really pretty much extinct too.

This has to be a bug, fractal needs to get on this one, be wary of the multi delay though people, it can, and will start a speaker bbq if this happens to you. And you don't have to be turned up to stage volume either.

I have had this when scrolling through presets today showing someone the unit. One of the presets must have had Multidelay on and the feedback just ramped up really quickly. Latest firmware and presets installed.
Just update to v13.07 and reinstall the v12 presets then start scrolling. You will know when you hit the jackpot :)

It's already noted as a bug for all you naysayers.
From Cliff "I just encountered this updating the presets for V14. It's a bug in the Multidelay block and will be fixed for V14."

that sounds like you hit a feedback loop with the Delay. there's nothing really "wrong" with the MultiDelay. I actually use them in 90% of my sounds and sometimes even two of them at the same time. the thing is though, recently FAS added Negative Feedback and instead of the Feedback value going from 0-100, it also goes to -100 (negative) on the same knob which now has a different scaling if that makes sense.

some presets of yours may not have been updated correctly, resulting in extremely high Feedback settings, giving you that loop. what I did after the change to the Feedback was to go manually, with volume turned DOWN, through all presets using MultiDelays and readjust/save with correct values. once that's done...no problem.

there may still be a bug in there on much higher values, but if you're keeping Feedback at a normal rate, all should be good.

how do I set the Multi delay effect safely (I can do this part), then send it to all other presets globally, step by step to ensure this wont happen again? I don't know how to do the send it to all other presets that have Multi Delay on them

Had the same issue, Cliff suggested a reload of the presets, and I have not run into it again, but honestly haven't looked for it either. As mentioned above, I think it's already a noted bug. It did create a weird oscillation, but didn't blow anything in my RCF. Guess I didn't have it up that loud.

Sheesh, sorry man. That sucks. I'm surprised that the difference in output level from normal playing to full-scale was so loud that it'd blow a pair of speakers so quickly. There's a maximum output voltage from the D/A converters that can't be exceeded. Then again, when you get severely clipped digital signals they can actually introduce peaks that exceed 0dB. It's only by tenths, or at most 0.5dB though - you won't magically get a doubling or tripling of the output volume. I thought that most of the patches had a fairly healthy output volume, like 75-80% of max, so even if the multi-delay went wonky and started feeding back it wouldn't result in such a huge increase in total output volume. I suspect that severe clipping introduced some nasty high-frequency transients at the output stage that resulted in the Matrix pumping out a ton of power. Since the Matrix is a flat power amp, it'll just go right ahead and drive those transients into the speakers unlike a regular guitar amp that can't reproduce those upper frequencies. I bet it sounded like a wailing banshee from hell, eh?

That's it, totally what happened, my volume was nowhere near super loud, a bit above bedroom level. When it occurred it grew louder very quickly, I couldn't get to the foot controller fast enough to stop it in time. I will not be using Multi Delay again till they fix whatever caused this.

Oh well, gave me the push I needed to get some Delta Pro 12 A's. BTW, my amp is a Matrix GT1000fx, speaker cab was rated at 100 watts and the amp was running stereo, ohms don't matter that much on this rig due to the matrix amp, my other cab had JBL G125-8's in it and handled the incident without damage, but the two celestions, died quickly. I would have been VERY mad if my JBL's had fried, those are impossible to get now, they are like EV12L's, and really pretty much extinct too.

Be aware,ohms do matter; especially since you are running a poweramp with power output capable of frying your speakers. At different ohms you get different power output which at high levels (like runaway oscillation can cause) could potentially fry your speakers.
Here are the rating of the different ohms on one channel in stereo for the gfx1000
Watts per channel @ 4 ohm500w RMS
Watts per channel @ 8 ohm325w RMS
Watts per channel @ 16 ohm150w RMS

I bet you didn't use the update preset function.

And... You should do your gain staging correctlty, you will never blow a speaker if the PA is configured to stay under the speaker's maximum power.

Sorry

I bet you didn't use the update preset function.

And... You should do your gain staging correctlty, you will never blow a speaker if the PA is configured to stay under the speaker's maximum power.

Sorry

FALSE. Continuous feedback due to a delay such as this can/will overload the circuit that can go nearly indefinitely and gets exponentially more powerful...it will push the amp beyond it's 'rating'. The amp can still peak WELL above it's rated capacity, and it only takes one peak to destroy a speaker.

Back
Top Bottom