Multi-Delay: Seems to cut out randomly while playing?

M@.. that's seriously interesting...
when I first looked at the waveform on the right I was a little shocked at how well they matched up..
then thinking about it it seemed pretty obvious
it shouldn't matter what values for delay times and detunes you set, you'd most likely still generate some sort of modulation if the input signal is the same and if you take a long enough sample..

just a guess here, but I'm wondering if the effect is a bit like when you stack a couple of different sine waves on top of each other..
where they end up creating some sort of sub-harmonic due to cancellations and additions
so I'm wondering if over time, the delay repeats bunching up and then spreading out over and over are producing a similar effect..

what you've uncovered, along with Seb spotting the gate settings, plus the repeat bunching / spreading could all have a cumulative effect and produce the apparent cut-outs..
it could be possible that the cancellation due to the repeats bunching and the long period phasing you've found causes a large enough drop in level so that the ducking [-80 thresh] will choke out what's left of the delay because there's not much level at that moment??
so the cut outs are an accumulation of several things

it makes me wonder if the solution is a combination of gentler ducking, better choices of delay times and a lower decay time
I was thinking that the delay time being a little shorter could mitigate the long term building up of the repeated wave forms

Last edited:
Hi Clarky,

It has nothing to do with ducking, actually, which is overall wet level in relation to dry input level.
Rather, I think it happens because the outputs of all the delays are summed to their inputs, resulting in what must be identical but offset copies of each other.

In fact, I think the delay wet signal NEVER disappears (remember, my test was 100% wet) but rather the echoes ALIGN so that all copies are either perfectly stacked or maybe even causing some kind of cancellation.

I can't tell which it is though :)

Hi Clarky,

It has nothing to do with ducking, actually, which is overall wet level in relation to dry input level.
Rather, I think it happens because the outputs of all the delays are summed to their inputs, resulting in what must be identical but offset copies of each other.

In fact, I think the delay wet signal NEVER disappears (remember, my test was 100% wet) but rather the echoes ALIGN so that all copies are either perfectly stacked or maybe even causing some kind of cancellation.

I can't tell which it is though :)

wouldn't you get a volume boost if they all stacked and were in phase with each other?

JJ - yes totally...
looking at M@'s waveform though it looks quite peaky..
so I'd imagine that there could be moments that cancel and moments that boost..

maybe this could be caused by the delays??
I'm thinking about the way they squeeze together and then spread out
so maybe there are moments where they cause cancellations where you see the troughs in the waveform, and moments where they boost creating the peaks??

hmmm.... dunno...
very interesting puzzle though..

Thanks for your help on this M@. Just got back from the mountains and excited to try the changes!!!!

Top notch support received once again!

I'm quite happy to report that your recommendations fixed my issue M@! I've played 2 gigs in a row and had no issues whatsoever with the multidelay! :)

Thanks again!!!

By the way... these tests are BEAUTIFUL to listen to. If you're interested maybe I'll post it to Soundcloud.[/QUOTE]

hey matt, i'd love to hear these if you post!

Back
Top Bottom