Mr.Gilmour Lead - Modded to include Clean Scene ...and other stuff

Burgs

Power User
Yesterday I was asked to demo the latest version of Ben Bailey's V12 Set. They're his meticulous take on David Gilmour's Black Strat pickups - and they're very good. You can find them at https://www.jjsguitarpickups.com/strat.htm if you're interested.

Anyway, I started with an old and appropriate favourite, the Mr.Gilmour Lead factory preset. Thank you to whomever put that one together. I needed a clean Scene, however, so that's in there (Scene 7). It's just Deluxe Reverb with vibe, delay and DynaCabs. Works well in the mix, I think. People have requested the preset, so here it is.

There's a video demo here...

Preset is here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10657

Love the sound! I’m between builds on a roasted maple neck Strat that just didn’t have the sound I hoped for, and have been looking for something that covers the mellower sounds. That sounds like what I’ve been chasing.

Just sent them a message.

Last edited:
Love the sound! I’m between builds on a roasted maple neck Strat that just didn’t have the sound I hoped for, and have been looking for something that covers the mellower sounds. That sounds like what I’ve been chasing.

Just sent them a message.
I love those pickups, Greg. Just the right amount of clean twang plus the extra clout of the bridge pickup. Highly recommended.

I know that Gilmour and Knopfler are two different animals, but I'm desperately trying to have both in my Strat - I need the quack sound in bridge + middle position. How are these pickups for that ?

I know that Gilmour and Knopfler are two different animals, but I'm desperately trying to have both in my Strat - I need the quack sound in bridge + middle position. How are these pickups for that ?
You'll be wanting the '65 Set. Ben's a huge Knopfler fan and has done his best to can that sound in those pickups. I'll be demoing them as soon as I can.

Thanks Brett ! The only thing is, I need a fatter sounding bridge pickup, the Gilmour neck pickup, AND the position 2 quack sound - hard to have them all in the same guitar I guess...

Thanks Brett ! The only thing is, I need a fatter sounding bridge pickup, the Gilmour neck pickup, AND the position 2 quack sound - hard to have them all in the same guitar I guess...
OK. The V12's might just be the right choice then. I believe the middle and neck pickups are very reminiscent of the '65 set which would put you in that parking lot along with the gruntier bridge pickup. If I get some time later I'll try to coax what you want from that set and make a quick demo. In the meantime, this is the V12 description -

With the current conversion rates, these seem to be a no brainer to give them a run! Thanks Brett!

Great tone! Thank you for the demo and for the preset mod.

I am playing it with a frankeinstrat (Highway One body and Warmoth neck) with the Black Strat original pickups (SSL-50/Fat-50). I note that the attack of the notes is too compressed and nasty, unless I pick extremelly light all the time. Are you really playing that light, or could that be that these JJ pickups have lower input? The input leds at my Axe-FX don't reach the red when I pick very hard.

O maybe because my Strat is not black? :D

Last edited:
G'day mate, I joined up at the suggestion of Brett. We get quite a good position 2 quack from the V12 set. It's designed around "Have a Cigar" tone, but it really does "Sultans" and most of the first two DS albums quite well. I often play this material on the V12 set. The middle and neck in the '65 are a touch more powerful than the V12, but they are very similar. If I can help, or if you have any questions, fire away! You may have to wait a while for me to get back here as we're monitoring an increasing number of platforms and making pickups at the same time, and there's only one of me, but I'll do my best. Thanks mate! Cheers, Ben Bailey.

Great tone! Thank you for the demo and for the preset mod.

I am playing it with a frankeinstrat (Highway One body and Warmoth neck) with the Black Strat original pickups (SSL-50/Fat-50). I note that the attack of the notes is too compressed and nasty, unless I pick extremelly light all the time. Are you really playing that light, or could that be that these JJ pickups have lower input? The input leds at my Axe-FX don't reach the red when I pick very hard.

O maybe because my Strat is not black? :D

I've solved my issue! The pickups were too low. Besides rising them, I've changed strings, readjust truss-rod, action and intonation has also made a significant improvement. This old guitar was in real need of a proper setup. What a difference! 😅

I've made a comparison with the V12 Vs '65 video using the same Vibrolux preset at the Axe-FX, and the result is quite identical. Approximating to either the V12 or the '65 just with a little bit of EQ adjustment.

The only issue now is string volume balance, specially the B that is too low compared with the others. These damned staggered pickups!
I will align these poles the next time I change strings.

20231111_145040.jpg

Great sounds in there, tend to like a bit better the '65 in the comparison vid, but these V12 (and you, last but not least) really nail the songs.

Back
Top Bottom