Most Versatile Guitar for the Axe-Fx?

Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS with the S1 Switch.
Almost got one of these before I decided to get my PRS 513. I wasn't too hot on how the pickups sounded, though you certainly have a lot of options.

+1 on the James Tyler Variax. You can really get a lot of sounds out of them, the question is mostly whether it feels good to you.

Fender / Roland have also released a new version of the VG Strat, called the G-5. I heard it at NAMM and was pretty impressed. I'm not sure what variety it gives you compared to the Variax but you might want to check it out if you like the feel of a Strat.

I guess everyone has their favorites and all my guitars sound great through the axe2 (different presets for different guitars)
Im really digging my Tom Anderson superstrat, Suhr Classic (unbelievable strat sounds) and my PRS custom ltd-- but to be honest I havent plugged in a guitar that I cant get to work with the Axe-- so for me the choice comes down to feel of the guitar/neck and the particular sound I'm chasing

Since the mark 2 does not mask the pickups like most modellers, the choice for me is the same as with the real Amps:
Although some passives are quieter, nice guitars fitted with actives are doing it for me

The EMG dg20 set covers everything short of the patches that are very metal. As well as no noise stratty, it has a loudness (FM really) control and a mid boost control, which make it so easy to just tweak into any amp, any patch

The 89 set are a pair of HBs, switchable from true humbucker to true no-hum single coils. I think these with the EXG and SPC controls used on the dg20 would cover everything. I have this set on a LP, and the neck in single coil mode is true single coil neck tone

The Ernie Ball Game Changer looks amazing. I was thinking of a JP6, but I'm on hold until I can see/play/read reviews on the Game Changer. Sounds really interesting.

James Tyler USA Variax. I have the 59 version.

This is an insanely good guitar and then you have all the modeling on top too. I can go from a 12 string acoustic to a screaming overdriven guitar *in the same song* onstage in real time.

It is crazy.

This is an insanely good guitar and then you have all the modeling on top too. I can go from a 12 string acoustic to a screaming overdriven guitar *in the same song* onstage in real time.

It is crazy.

I'm looking at this too! The key for me is the neck carve. My favorite neck carve at the moment is PRS Regular Pattern, or just a full "C" carve.

Any guitar... that's playable mind you. Did you hear how Cliff made a "Cheapo" Strat sound through v.5?

I've got an LGXT also! Love it! 3 outputs, 1 synth, 1 piezo and 1 magnetic and all 3 are controllable from the guitar and they all sound great.

This may not be helpful, but I believe the AFX ll can make almost any guitar sound the way one wants - seriously. Having said that, I believe a guitar with quiet/noiseless pickups is very important for any medium to hi-gain players. There is enough high-quality EQ and filtering within the AFX ll to make a Fender sound like a Gibson & vice versa, especially when distortion is involved... Just my opinion, no flames please! :eek:)

+ 2
Nothing much to add just that on the high output G&L Comanches(Z-Pickups) tone controls(PTB) have a much bigger influence then,vs my Mark V or the Dlx RVB

my 2 cents

Roland

It is crazy.

Yeah, I do that with the VG strat, except with no audience, at home, so less of a spectacle!
Cracked me up when I tried an amp I was buying at some guy's house, he was looking so baffled how these 12 string sounds were emanating from his vox, I relented and played some open g and an acoustic model with reverb,Then confessed - I can't think why good modelling guitars aren't used more by guys who play live a lot
The earlier variax model didn't feel too good, but that model you have sounds like the real deal for the guitar part

Last edited:
I like my PRS 513

PRS.513.Full.15.jpg

I'm planning to build a partscaster for versatility. I scored a Fender Squier body for cheap and I'm going to couple it with an Allparts fat rosewood neck. Pickups are going to be two Seymour Duncan P-rails and a cool rail for the middle pickup. For switching, I'm going for a master volume and tone, with pushpull to select the four different sounds from the p-rails (paf, humbucker, rails, p90). I'm going to add a minitoggle for coil tapping the middle pickup. There will be a standard five-way switch, and the third knob is going to be a blend knob which blends either the neck or the bridge in, depending on the position of the selector switch. This will get me the neck-bridge combination. Now that I reread my post, it seems completely crazy haha.

Gibson LP with Pearly Gates set for classic rock/blues and Charvel or Jackson for 80s crap. Oh, and the Kramer for VH of course.

Everything sounds awesome thru my Standard.....but I'd sure like to get that coupon!

Back
Top Bottom