Most Versatile Guitar for the Axe-Fx?

enigma

Inspired
What would be your pick for that ONE versatile guitar with your Axe-Fx if you don't already own one?

My Spec:
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates w/ Coil-Tap
Middle Single Coil pickup
NO thin necks
Tremolo
Piezo

Which brand?

If money was no issue, I'd like to try an Adrian Belew Parker Fly.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my Godin LGXT. It fits your specs, besides:
- other PUs (Seymour Duncan Jazz and Custom Custom)
- no middle PU (which I prefer)
- has also 13-pin output (for guitar-to-midi/guitar synth)

My Ernie Ball JP6 is insanely versatile. I rarely use any other guitar because it pretty much does everything except the neck single coil on a strat. I used the JP6 for almost every preset in the Every Axe Fx II Preset videos I did on YouTube, regardless of the style. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

I use a Hamer Steve Stevens that I have a single coil sized neck humbucker, a middle single coil and a bridge humbucker. Via the aid of coil taps and an on/off switch for the middle pickup I yield 17 possibilities.

If money was no issue, I'd like to try an Adrian Belew Parker Fly.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my Godin LGXT. It fits your specs, besides:
- other PUs (Seymour Duncan Jazz and Custom Custom)
- no middle PU (which I prefer)
- has also 13-pin output (for guitar-to-midi/guitar synth)

Visually, Parker Fly seems fitting with the Axe-Fx technology. I do want to own one someday soon!

My Ernie Ball JP6 is insanely versatile. I rarely use any other guitar because it pretty much does everything except the neck single coil on a strat. I used the JP6 for almost every preset in the Every Axe Fx II Preset videos I did on YouTube, regardless of the style. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

If it weren't for the thin neck I'd have pick it up already!

I use a Hamer Steve Stevens that I have a single coil sized neck humbucker, a middle single coil and a bridge humbucker. Via the aid of coil taps and an on/off switch for the middle pickup I yield 17 possibilities.

Not familiar with this, but will have to check it out on YouTube!

You might want to consider those Line6 guitars which can model tons of other guitars............I was close to buying one , but finally bought myself an 8 string Mayones baritone ...hahahaha

anyhow : I have a 6 string Nik Huber Orca which has huge amount of tone and is like being in heaven with the Axe 2 and updating V5 through Wi-Fi....:)

You might want to consider those Line6 guitars which can model tons of other guitars............I was close to buying one , but finally bought myself an 8 string Mayones baritone ...hahahaha

anyhow : I have a 6 string Nik Huber Orca which has huge amount of tone and is like being in heaven with the Axe 2 and updating V5 through Wi-Fi....:)

+1 on Parkers. I endorse them. But only because I love them and had been playing them for over 10 years before endorsing them.

Checkout my soundcloud page for samples recorded with Parker and Axe FX.

I use a Parker Fly Mojo with mine, and between the mags, split coils, and piezo I can coax a ton of sounds out of my Axe. In fact, I find myself trying more sounds from the guitar with my Axe than I ever did with a real amp. I think that all the amp models reward those tweaks from the guitar...

+1 on Parkers. I endorse them. But only because I love them and had been playing them for over 10 years before endorsing them.

Checkout my soundcloud page for samples recorded with Parker and Axe FX.

Which Parker do you recommend? (Moderate to High Priced models) I need the beefiest neck they offer!

This may not be helpful, but I believe the AFX ll can make almost any guitar sound the way one wants - seriously. Having said that, I believe a guitar with quiet/noiseless pickups is very important for any medium to hi-gain players. There is enough high-quality EQ and filtering within the AFX ll to make a Fender sound like a Gibson & vice versa, especially when distortion is involved... Just my opinion, no flames please! :eek:)

This may not be helpful, but I believe the AFX ll can make almost any guitar sound the way one wants - seriously. Having said that, I believe a guitar with quiet/noiseless pickups is very important for any medium to hi-gain players. There is enough high-quality EQ and filtering within the AFX ll to make a Fender sound like a Gibson & vice versa, especially when distortion is involved... Just my opinion, no flames please! :eek:)

I'll take a Super Strat Fender or Tyler w/ Piezo :)

I think you said it perfectly. I feel the same way. The guitar needs to be for the player, not the hardware. I use an 89 USA STrat with Fralin VHots and a USA Deluxe with Seymour duncan Humbuckers-The single coil size. I adjust the axeII to my guitars, not the reverse. JUst my HO
Nice post Hadley.

Last edited:
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS with the S1 Switch.

+1 I have a couple of nice guitars, but for some reason my Fender American Deluxe SSS+S1 Strat is really the most versatile guitar of the bunch and works well with my Axe-Fx2 and my old tube amp.... I just bought a 52 Hotrod Reissue Tele that rocks (my first Tele!!), but the Strat covers so much more territory.

If you want versatility, the L6 JTV is hard to beat. That said, my Music Man covers enough tonal ground for me. :D

It may have to be a custom guitar! Maybe a Suhr superstrat with a piezo and a kaoss pad with some neutral humbuckers that can be split to be single coils as well like EMG 707tw (not saying the EMG 707tw is neutral but they are pretty interesting pickups)

Back
Top Bottom