Most desired tones that you don't already have?

Sorry. I was on my phone and couldn't link. I'm at the iMac now so:

13:20. Same dude as in the thumbnail. I'm guessing that it's a very easy tone to figure out but I don't know where to start.

My guess: Not super distorted, lots of compression, not too much highs or lows, some verb sauce.

That makes sense. I might've been able to get there on my own, aside from the compression part. I never used it until the Fractal lol Same with reverb.

I continue to be fuzz challenged - I find fuzz (hw or modelled) tends to sound so grainy and flubby, but there are recorded tones that I understand to be fuzz which are glorious to my ear: either warm, smooth and sustaining (ie 1st example below), or sharp and metallic but sustaining and musical (ie example 2 below). I don't seem to have a clue where to start getting these type fuzz sounds from a modeller or real pedal. Maybe its the production on these that masks the fuzz nasties I don't like but man I'd love to have these sounds dialed in.

Last edited:
Not to toot my own horn but I’m quite proud of this one:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-compilation-eric-johnson-rig-preset.200552/

I don’t know what I could possibly do to get it closer but a couple of Captains SuperEars probably could.

As for what I’d like, a variety of Vai sounds. It’s easy to get pretty close but there are some I’d be interested to see the ins and outs.

This one is kinda dumb but one of the first videos Jared Dines showed for this years Shred Collab had a dude with a shaved and tattoo’d head that had a beautiful tone. Sharing Jared’s description, it was like honey lol

Oh that preset is really really good! I played for an hour with it yesterday. Thank you lots!

Faulkner off JP's Firepower album.
One of my favourite players. Richie and Gus G are for me, the two greatest 'new' players. When I say new I mean guys who weren't in the famous bands of the 80's but came along after that period.

Firepower is a hell of an album too. He's using quite a scooped tone on that, plenty of sizzle but the tone is still quite present so it's probably not as scooped as it sounds. Was he using Engl's on that or Marshall's?

I continue to be fuzz challenged - I find fuzz (hw or modelled) tends to sound so grainy and flubby, but there are recorded tones that I understand to be fuzz which are glorious to my ear: either warm, smooth and sustaining (ie 1st example below), or sharp and metallic but sustaining and musical (ie example 2 below). I don't seem to have a clue where to start getting these type fuzz sounds from a modeller or real pedal. Maybe its the production on these that masks the fuzz nasties I don't like but man I'd love to have these sounds dialed in.

I had no idea that the Carpenters had covered Klaatu’s “Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft”. Klaatu was a great band that were highly underrated. The Carpenters do not do this song justice in my opinion...the original is much better.

I dream of tones which are fat, liquid and consistent as Holdsworth/Hallebeek/Garsed legato tones, but with more edge and bite associated with EoB tones
Once you start adding compressors or increasing gain, it either stops being EoB or starts losing attack :/

I am also on the search for the Tom Delonge tone. The tone from the Enema of the state and Take of your pants and jacket era is one of my favorite guitar tones ever. I know he used a JCM900 and a Mesa but I use FM3 so one amp has to do the job here...just cant find the right combination...
Also, the tone from the American Idiot album by Green Day, phenomenal tone. It has a crunch to it that I just can't replicate...

Back
Top Bottom