Most annoying part of being a musician?

Oh, yeah I agree. "Classical training" or any other "training" people play up on any skill level is pretty much worthless if you can't do what the gig requires. I've met people with music degrees (Bachelor's and up) who struggle on top 40 gigs. They're just not equipped to handle what is required, lack the work ethic, or the degree focus was somewhere else (Ie education, songwriting, production etc.).

The skills have to be on par with the gig. Plain and simple. I would never venture to say I could go do a night at Disney Hall with the LA Phil, in the same way I could expect one of their violin players to get up and do 4 sets of country fiddle with me on a Saturday night. The guy may be able to do both, but that means he's really worked on his skillset to meet the requirements for the both gigs regardless of "classical" (or otherwise) training.

Glad we are on a consensus :)

Excellent points.

This is a great thread. Anyway, assuming you find musicians that you like, have talent and are on the same page regarding the direction of the band. Equipment....... Oh boy...... Guitarists need to have at least one guitar/Bass, Amp and cabinet not to mention mics, stands etc..... Seems logical right? Drummers need to have drums. Now here is the kicker, I can't tell you how many singers do not have the PA that amplifies that magical voice...... Am I the only one that meets singers that do not own a PA?
We almost had to strangle a singer to buy a friggin MICROPHONE! The band had bought a couple of monitors so we were sure we could hear ourselves decently and were saving up for a PA, he figured microphones were part of the PA. I asked him if the band would pay for my $10,000.- guitar setup. No, that's your instrument. Well, WITHOUT THAT MICROPHONE YOUR INSTRUMENT IS USELESS AND IT'S THE LEAST BIT YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE!

Cheapskate.

Last edited:
The most annoying part of being a musician? Bass players.

They play the entire night with one sound, at one volume, with no foot switches to mess with, they don't break strings, they aren't required to play chords, they play one note for every 4 notes played on a guitar (or more depending on how much the guitarist shreds), and yet they still get the most gigs and remain the most in demand player in a band. :lol

Where did you find a bass player that stays the same volume all night? I want one!!!

I'd say musicians that "think" they are the best, no one is the best at anything, and there's no one else that can do it the way you do!

Definitely singers who don't own a PA or the very least a mic and musicians cancel on you for rehearsals when you've changed plans for them, because their time is way more important that yours.

Playing in perfect timing to a backing track, but having the drummer blame you when the tempo changes when he is playing. Having the same drummer refuse to play along to the backing track to prove that he isn't the problem.

I had to make this face...

crying-indian.jpg

Most annoying part about being a musician?

having to listen to non-famous arrogant know-it-all "nobody" weekend warrior musicians trash talking famous doing it for a living musicians.

perfect example? Kirk Hammet and the majority of noobs on the internets.

At least most of you are professional musicians. I have music as a hobby only. My biggest problem is lack of time to practise, and when I have some free time the wife comes in with a long to do list. :-( I hardly touch my Axe FX2.

+1

At least most of you are professional musicians. I have music as a hobby only. My biggest problem is lack of time to practice, and when I have some free time the wife comes in with a long to do list. :-( I hardly touch my Axe FX2.

+2

It's really hard to spend the time necessary to create some of the tones I am looking for as the "honey do" list seems never ending. This is typically one of the big reasons I request a simple/emulation tab on effects and amps. It would be nice to be able to create a "emulates" config within a block. This new tab within the block would contain a few knobs that would update all the other knobs withing a block when making changes. Much like how you can make a expression pedal make changes to multiple parameters, the same thing except you would create a virtual knob that could make value changes to other knobs within a block.

Wives and guitar time are like having little kids and trying to have time to yourself.

Mine's okay... but please, please take the kids out of the house once in a while... or, expect a bill while I rent a studio or concert hall for a day.

I absolutely HATE playing shows that have multiple bands where you have to rush your balls off to set up, tune, get dressed and play. Not only that, but it's so easy to have something stolen from you. I try to stay away from these things as best as possible unless the pay is right or I'm opening for a major act where it may make a difference for the better. But man, nothing stresses me out more than having to rush. And, no matter how fast you are, they always seem to STILL cut a song or two out of your set.

Most annoying part about being a musician?

having to listen to non-famous arrogant know-it-all "nobody" weekend warrior musicians trash talking famous doing it for a living musicians.

perfect example? Kirk Hammet and the majority of noobs on the internets.
Couldn't agree more! But that's not only about musicians in general. It's the attitude so drilled down into modern society that any superficial knowledge of a matter instantly makes you an expert.

The first thing we got told at university was: "The difference between an amateur and a professional is that the latter knows (and tells you) when something exceeds his competence."

Couldn't agree more! But that's not only about musicians in general. It's the attitude so drilled down into modern society that any superficial knowledge of a matter instantly makes you an expert.

The first thing we got told at university was: "The difference between an amateur and a professional is that the latter knows (and tells you) when something exceeds his competence."

"Education is the path from cocksure ignorance to miserable uncertainty." - Mark Twain.

Back
Top Bottom