More basic quick picks in the Effect Blocks

Preset choices within Effect Blocks, Read Below

• Yes, I'd Use Them!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spoons

Inspired
Being relatively new to the Axe, I'm not sure if this has been discussed before.

I'm going to use the Reverb as an example...

The Reverb block has 18 Basic "quick picks" in the Effect Type that basically change the settings of the reverb controls; this feature is really, Really nice so the user can get close or close enough to the actual effect they are looking for rapidly. Is it possible to add more of those basic "quick pick" Effect Types for other effects blocks too, especially for the very commonly used blocks like Delay, Chorus, Compressor, etc. For example: the delay might have something like short, medium and long delay presets for each of the existing types that are already there, Compressor could have a deep, medium and light for each of the current types. What each of these types are called is not relevant, having additional quick pick choices is, I'm sure you get the idea.

"What I am talking about is in addition to what is already there and not taking any of the existing parameter adjustments away, thus not forcing everyone to use it."

Added after conversations within this thread.
Maybe a list of presets for a Clean, Blues, Crunch, Sustain for each amp sim?
That's a tall order but certainly would be nice!
End of add.

I know that there are lots of different presets that come with the Axe that show the versatility of the unit, but it truly is a daunting task for new users to wade through them all to find an effect that is close and then dissect the effect so they can use it elsewhere. There are also a lot of different ideas of what these additional quick picks should be, the key is getting a variety that will get the user closer to what they might want and let them adjust parameters from there. This would certainly add a new level of user-friendliness to the Axe.

It's kinda like having a list of effect specific presets within an effect..

This could be a very sell-able and useful feature. I'm sure the more of this kind of feature that is added to the Axe will help draw in more of those people that are "easily" scared away by all of the ways to deeply adjust the Axe.

Thanks for listening.

EDITS Added Poll, Set up poll so you could change your vote if you would like, fixed a few typos.

Re: More basic quick picks in the Effect Types

+1000 I would kill for some general predetermined options to get in the ballpark of a tone, rather then have to start from scratch every time. This the one area I think the axefx could be better. I think it would be a great help to the less techy players.

(add a poll)

I'd also love to see the block presets in other blocks like amps. Then we don't have to get into the "ideal" default setting discussions because we can have more then one tailored tone available at the click of the button within each block. Like a JCM800 with a built in preset for "Extreme Metal", "Rock", "Blues", etc. I think a few guiding internal block presets would help people get close to where they want to be. Then they can tweak from there without having to save a bunch of actual patches taking up slots to try and audition things. I think it would be cool. :D

i was thinking the same exact thing the other day...brilliant idea...for the fx and the amps

some choices in the phaser block (phase 90, small stone etc), in the wah block (cry baby, morley, budda etc)....the list goes on. and having some ballpark choices in the amp blocks would save a lot of time. it would make knocking up quick usable patches a breeze and then the user could tweak to personalise them from there.

sim

Added this phrase to original post.

"What I am talking about is in addition to what is already there and not taking any of the existing parameter adjustments away, thus not forcing everyone to use it."

You can accomplish something similar to your request using "Effects Recall" described on page 26 of the manual. Use a few presets to create a library of desired parameter settings for each block, then easily copy any of those settings into any preset, modifiers included.

simeon said:
i was thinking the same exact thing the other day...brilliant idea...for the fx and the amps

some choices in the phaser block (phase 90, small stone etc), in the wah block (cry baby, morley, budda etc)....the list goes on. and having some ballpark choices in the amp blocks would save a lot of time. it would make knocking up quick usable patches a breeze and then the user could tweak to personalise them from there.

sim

I voted yes, but that would be for something like the above mentions. Having vague names (like "medium compressor" or "short delay") doesn't really do anything for me because those terms will be interpreted differently by different people. But, having things like a "Keeley" choice in the compressor block or an "Deluxe Memory Man" choice in the delay would provide a common reference point.

steadystate said:
You can accomplish something similar to your request using "Effects Recall" described on page 26 of the manual. Use a few presets to create a library of desired parameter settings for each block, then easily copy any of those settings into any preset, modifiers included.
Learned something new about the Axe again today, it's another good Axe day.

+1 to the original post.
I've uttered the same idea several times, with the reverb block as example.
I don't have a need for such "quick picks" in the amp block, but for most everything else (wah, phaser, flanger, chorus come to my mind) it'd be great! :)

Seb

This can be done using the editor btw (I use it a fair bit)...Save/Recall settings....While not as convenient, due to requiring a Pc etc, it works brilliantly...and is exponentially more flexible. Maybe a public library of these would be a cool adition to AxeEdit/Axechange (I must add that as a feature request for AxeEdit)

Doubt any "presets" would appear in the Axe itself though, however useful it might be....it would take up valuable Axe-Estate for starters...but who knows!

+1 on effects database like axechange. So you could download wah or delay settings that are based on crybaby or Memory Man etc...

Spawn-X said:
How can you see how many lookers are there on this topic?
When you look at the Wish List forum listing of topics (viewforum.php?f=29), it tells you on the right side how many times the topic has been viewed and how many times it has been replied to.

Spoons said:
Spawn-X said:
How can you see how many lookers are there on this topic?
When you look at the Wish List forum listing of topics (viewforum.php?f=29), it tells you on the right side how many times the topic has been viewed and how many times it has been replied to.

Oh ok, I knew that, I made a mistake cause I was thinking you talked about topic subscribers.

Back
Top Bottom