Modes, help a theory idiot

When the chord changes, play a note that's in the new chord.
A pretty good idea. There is subset of this that's worth messing around with called "Guide Tones" in jazz improv. Usually, they are considered to be the 7th and the 3rd of the chord, but can be any of the augmentations as well to a lesser degree. They add tension at the chord change. If you play a root or a 5th, it heads toward a resolution. Then, there's jumping the chord change which is playing a note in the chord just before the chord. Many jazz riffs start off the beat.

Along with modes, all these things are just tools in your arsenal. They are worth knowing, but not worth getting hung about. If messing around with these things pushes you out of your box, then they're worth exploring. I was exploring modes within the context of chord positions a couple of years ago, so that I'd develop a natural association between fingering patterns and chord shapes. That turned out to be really beneficial when riffing regardless of the type of music.

I was reading an interview with Alex Lifeson recently and someone asked him about scales, he said that he didn't even think about them when composing a solo.

Thanks to all for all the interest and requesting the G-Rev Modal Modulators and the 7 methods of modal awareness.
If you have any further questions feel free to call.
Enjoy, and don't forget to use your AXE-FX looper along with your new jams to enhance the identities of the modes/scales with accompaniment.

http://guitarrevelations.com/index.htm
(please excuse site formatting, site has been in need of work)
http://guitarrevelations.com/Complete_Modal_Reference_.htm

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. The secret is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus

Last edited:
I really do recommend David Walliman absolutely excellent in all areas a Axefx user to boot !

Please go and visit his youtube and personal site I have used and purchased a majority of his excellent material cannot fault it easy to use and very reasonable

Walliman is definitely the first stop for you if this is what your trying to achieve clear precise with print off PDF and brilliant high quality videos

Ps - I am in now way affiliated or indeed know David just found his material and insight exceptional

I really do recommend David Walliman absolutely excellent in all areas a Axefx user to boot !

Please go and visit his youtube and personal site I have used and purchased a majority of his excellent material cannot fault it easy to use and very reasonable

Walliman is definitely the first stop for you if this is what your trying to achieve clear precise with print off PDF and brilliant high quality videos

Ps - I am in now way affiliated or indeed know David just found his material and insight exceptional

Just got to the end of this thread with every intention of lionizing Wallimann. You beat me to it!

Back
Top Bottom