Modern takes on the Les Paul

Would love to try something like your DBZ some day, but I’ve honestly never even heard of the brand.
DBZ was founded by Dean Zelinsky, who also founded Dean guitars. He joined forces with Jeff Diamant of Diamond Amplification, and the brand became DBZ Diamond. Then the brand became Diamond when Zelinsky left to form Dean Zelinsky Private Label.

The shape of the guitar I posted above started out as the Dean Soltero. Then it was the DBZ Bolero, DBZ Diamond Bolero, and Diamond Bolero. And you can get the same shape as the Dean Zelinsky StrettaVita.

I like learning!
Learning is the best drug. I hope I never stop doing it.

My SC 245 ticks all the boxes.
I love it that I have a (master) volume knob closer so I can do swells and such.
The second knob is a master tone, the two bottom knobs I've replaced with three-way switches (S/P/SC)

SC 245 (1).jpg

LTD EC-1000 on a budget is a good pick if you like the specs. It's got a little skinnier flatter neck with jumbo frets, locking tuners, thinner body with body comfort carve and lighter weight, etc.
Yes to the above. It has XJ SS frets.
Great for my gorilla grip, bad for making notes sharp. Ehh, I play to a party of one.
I heard stainless frets are hard to wear down. Challenge accepted.

This is my actual guitar. B-stock. A bit of paint overspray on the lower bout. Got a killer deal on it.
The Seymour Duncan humbuckers aren’t as mean sounding as my LP 60’s, but I reach for the LTD more than any other guitar. It just feels right. 🤘🏽 🎸

IMG_4852.jpeg

DBZ was founded by Dean Zelinsky, who also founded Dean guitars. He joined forces with Jeff Diamant of Diamond Amplification, and the brand became DBZ Diamond. Then the brand became Diamond when Zelinsky left to form Dean Zelinsky Private Label.

The shape of the guitar I posted above started out as the Dean Soltero. Then it was the DBZ Bolero, DBZ Diamond Bolero, and Diamond Bolero. And you can get the same shape as the Dean Zelinsky StrettaVita.

Learning is the best drug. I hope I never stop doing it.
Dean also has the Throughbred which is pretty much the Les Paul and about
1100 USD

Oh yeah! He's the one with the Z-glide neck. I remember looking at his line awhile back.
1707222722844.png

He's the one with the Z-glide neck.
My co-guitarist had one of those, and I borrowed it on a gig once. It's an acquired taste.

I didn't acquire it.

Regarding the OP, I like the "full thickness" varieties of the ESP/LTD Eclipse. I actually have three of them that I picked up cheap: two LTD Skolnick sigs and a EC-400VF. Great guitars.

Last edited:
Several great options have been mentioned already. The ones that get my attention are the following:

PRS: SC245, 594

1707225584528.png

Knaggs Kenai
1707225207077.png

Don Grosh Set Neck (can be a great value on the used market)
1707225144216.png

Collings City Limits
1707225315749.png

Patrick James Eggle Macon
1707225401018.png

Suhr Aura
1707225449747.png

Nik Huber Orca
1707225521017.png

Unfortunately, almost all of these are seriously expensive.

That Orca looks incredible, and I’ve heard good things. Have you had any experiences with the Macon? Been curious about those for a minute.

I played an Orca at Guitars Etc in Longmont CO years ago. It was so expensive I didn't want to move. It felt unbelievable. Flawless. I did not plug it in. It kind of felt like it played itself. Huber was interviewed on a podcast and described his long relationship with Paul Reed Smith, who acted as kind of a mentor to him.

So interesting. It’s fascinating the amount of great builders Paul has mentored. I’m sure the same is true of Leo Fender, but he’s long dead. I often think, whether you disagree with Paul’s controversial opinions or not, we’re lucky to still have him with us.

Here's my custom made hybrid guitar that has the shape and thinness of a Gibson L5-S but made with the mahogany body and neck with a maple cap of a Les Paul. The L5-S's were all maple. I've never gave it a name, so I'm open to suggestions. BtView attachment 134456w it's 1" at the edge and 1 5/8" in the center and very light. The p/u's are Seth Lovers.
The FATCASTER!

These are eye-wateringly beautiful and jaw-droppingly expensive. Wow though!
There was a used bobcat on kijiji for ages a couple years ago. Yeah this info is useless now but iirc it was under 5k.
That Orca looks incredible, and I’ve heard good things. Have you had any experiences with the Macon? Been curious about those for a minute.
My $$ buddy had a Macon, he enjoyed it a lot. PJE seems to make good stuff. The only one ive tried was a prs type back in the late 2000’s, at the end of a bands set haha. There’s a 2023 jr for sale on guitarscanada.

My buddy in Belleville has a custom spec Dolphin for sale, but its gonna run a little more than a new 594.

Edit: no one’s mentioned the bartlett retrospec i think? Ontario made and way less expensive than his LP replicas.

Back
Top Bottom