Modern takes on the Les Paul

Ive seen a couple retrospecs listed in GTA for under $6k as well. Forum guy i dont know but is friends with mine is a convert and hes had nice stuff. I want to try it but also dont haha.

I'm a huge Tom Anderson guitar fan. I bought a beautiful Fireburst Bulldog when they first came out and I just couldn't bond with it. It didn't feel or sound LP-ish at all. I didn't really expect too much sound wise, but the bridge and action just felt wrong. Huge disappointment for me.

I've been trying to find out what those and the Bobcats actually do sound like, but I can't find any firm descriptions. Can you say what yours was like? One day I would love something that sounds like a Les Paul but has great upper fret access and stainless steel frets.

Oh yeah! He's the one with the Z-glide neck. I remember looking at his line awhile back.
View attachment 134477
The Z-Glide neck felt weird for about 20 seconds. Then I forgot about it. It feels good, but I don’t think it achieves the reduced friction that it claims to achieve. The physics of friction don’t work that way. It does, however, stay dry as you play, so the sweaty/sticky thing doesn’t happen much. You can get Zelinsky guitars with or without the Z-Glide treatment.

Last edited:
I've been trying to find out what those and the Bobcats actually do sound like, but I can't find any firm descriptions. Can you say what yours was like? One day I would love something that sounds like a Les Paul but has great upper fret access and stainless steel frets.
I often wonder if stainless steel frets change the sound. Strings come into direct contact with them, right? Do they do anything discernible? Is it even possible to sound like what we think of as an LP with stainless steel frets?

Well, not really. They had TA pickups in them (H1 in the neck, H3 in the bridge) and sounded like TA pickups.

I often wonder if stainless steel frets change the sound. Strings come into direct contact with them, right? Do they do anything discernible? Is it even possible to sound like what we think of as an LP with stainless steel frets?

People say that. Good question. It's weird that nothing Gibson makes in their regular production lines has stainless steel frets, even when the guitars are insultingly priced. I just don't trust that company at all, that they would do what's best for the players.

I've read both sides of the fence when it comes to stainless steel either being a huge difference or not even noticable! I know I wear down traditional frets very quickly, so I'll play stainless steel for now, unless I can afford a stable of guitars where I can keep one at a tech for a few weeks when necessary.

Somebody mentioned the DGT
Never played one, but have heard many times that the DGT is the most LP sounding guitar PRS makes.

If sonically that's what I was after I wouldn't hesitate to get a core DGT.

Aesthetically... not very LP like lol.

I think that's what I find so interesting about a guitar like the DGT: Not a Les Paul in shape or comfort, but very much like a Les Paul in sound. One could argue that means the wood and everything means nothing, but I think a better argument is that there are multiple ways to solve the same problem.

I have several guitars that I’ve refretted with stainless steel. Sometimes I think I can maybe hear the slightest touch of increased high end. But most of the time, I hear no difference. Experience has taught me that when my reaction is that vague, there is usually no difference at all.

If you refret your guitar in stainless steel, it will sound the same. And bends will be easier. And they won’t wear nearly as fast.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Tremonti’s in this regard? I like that it has trem, 4 knobs, and splits. But they don’t seem to be in trend lately. Sounds like the dgt is more up my alley but I rather have separate tone knobs :/

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Tremonti’s in this regard? I like that it has trem, 4 knobs, and splits. But they don’t seem to be in trend lately. Sounds like the dgt is more up my alley but I rather have separate tone knobs :/
Haven't tried them, but they look great. I think they're more suited for high gain territory, so if you want LP sound with a modern body, the DGT might be more up your alley.

I think the biggest thing with the tremonti would be the thinner neck and the trem. No idea if the body is thinner than other sc models, never seen a usa in person to try.

Really @nathan_393 needs to try my S2 singlecut and see if the bevel and light weight make him look for one too (the $1200ish used cost is a plus too).

I think the biggest thing with the tremonti would be the thinner neck and the trem. No idea if the body is thinner than other sc models, never seen a usa in person to try.

Really @nathan_393 needs to try my S2 singlecut and see if the bevel and light weight make him look for one too (the $1200ish used cost is a plus too).
Apparently I do!

Interesting that folks are chiming in with ESP and Schecter. My impression of those companies is that they make singlecut guitars for heavy music, and they don't really do the vintage LP with modern bodies thing.

Any love for Knaggs?
They mostly come with pickups geared towards metal, but there's nothing stopping you from swapping in a set of your choice. Most newer EII or LTD 1000 come with Fishman these days, which are in demand and should be easily flippable.

Back
Top Bottom