Mk 2 fan noise

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,
Put my order in last night (yay!)
For those of you with the Mk2 already, is the fan the same fan as that in the mk 1?
And, if so, is it mounted identically as in the mk1?

I’ll want to prepare a quiet replacement if so, because I’m sensitive to fan noise.

can’t wait to be able to fit that many presets in one Axe fx!
Thanks
Pauly

It was pretty loud on my MK2, but I had a Noctua quiet fan waiting on a shelf, just in case. Swapped it out and now it‘s much better. Still revs up now and then, but it’s not nearly as loud with the Noctua installed.

It was pretty loud on my MK2, but I had a Noctua quiet fan waiting on a shelf, just in case. Swapped it out and now it‘s much better. Still revs up now and then, but it’s not nearly as loud with the Noctua installed.
I guess there is no change on the thermal/fan design part of the unit. Personally, I think it could have been made more quiet.

I guess there is no change on the thermal/fan design part of the unit. Personally, I think it could have been made more quiet.

You make it quiet enough for your typical user bases average hearing threshold I guess :)

I’ve always changed mine but I’ve had buddies over who all claimed they never heard it at all.....

Mostly middle aged dudes with decades of loud amps (myself included but I still hear pretty well so pc fans etc have always bugged me)

Large heat sink or large contact with a aluminum body acting as a heat sink, or control fan speed by measuring DSP die temp instead of ambient temp.... There seem to be a few thing Fractal can do to Optimize the thermal design and lower fan noise, or even do without a fan entirely...

Examples, HX Stomp having half of DSP power of FM3 more than half smaller in size is without a fan. Neural QC being twice more powerful than FM3 but a bit smaller size is without a fan. In fact, very few current modelers need a fan...

Dont get me wrong, I love the Fractal amp modeling and sound, but they don’t seem to pay as much attention in these “small” aspects.

I could see where the fan would be beneficial though in a rack with low air flow, especially if the Axe is next to a power amp. In the end I’d rather have awesome tone and a touch of fan noise than a melted Axe Fx

Hi,
Then I’ll prepare for the same.
Is the mounting and fan size etc identical to the mk 1?
Thanks
Pauly

Zero fan noise in my mark 1. If yours is noisy it is faulty and absolutely zero point in swapping a mark one for a two.

Back
Top Bottom