Misc Wish: Reamp mode

Reamp mode

• Total voters
I think the popular hope was that the digital out could echo the input signal. I don't know if that's possible though. We never got a clear answer on that.

scarr said:
I think the popular hope was that the digital out could echo the input signal. I don't know if that's possible though. We never got a clear answer on that.

That's what I thought as well.

I'm not sure if that thread ever made it to the new board.

Added:

It'd be great if the problems with the digital I/O posted about previously were resolved.

scarr said:

It'd be nice to have some sort of idea how much hassle this would be to implement or if it is even possible...

This would be a great feature. The POD XT Pro has it and I really liked it.

With the Axe-FX, to me there's another reason it would be great to have -- the device itself gets better sounding on a regular basis. So it would be fantastic if you could record the raw signal as well as the processed sound and then if something like the warmth parameter comes along, you can easily pump it through the updated version.

For example, I've thought recently that for those checking out the Axe-FX on the Fractal site, they go and check out the sample tracks and what version of the firmware were they recorded with? 4.x? 3.x? How much better do they sound now? So it would be great if Cliff could add this feature, record the guitar samples using it, and then, as new algorithms are coded, re-pump it through and post it.

Mark

As far as I understand you can currently do it with the Axe. It has 4 mono outputs with 2 independent stereo pairs. With some routing that is exactly what you would be able to do as it is now.

Mik.

Mark said:
So it would be fantastic if you could record the raw signal as well as the processed sound and then if something like the warmth parameter comes along, you can easily pump it through the updated version.

Right, a reamping mode would be completely for convience sake. So you don't have to make a seperate patch for reamping and regular. It will just send out a dry signal to the daw while you monitor the wet signal by enabling a setting.

mik said:
As far as I understand you can currently do it with the Axe. It has 4 mono outputs with 2 independent stereo pairs. With some routing that is exactly what you would be able to do as it is now.

That's probably true. However, it forces you to go in and re-program every patch. Much better would be a global setting of some type -- even if you had to set it up manually, that allows you to apply it to every patch.

And again, this is not just a made up feature, the POD XT Pro worked like this and was very nice. It would also be mind-boggling to me if this were not pretty simple to implement for Cliff.

javajunkie said:
Right, a reamping mode would be completely for convience sake. So you don't have to make a seperate patch for reamping and regular. It will just send out a dry signal to the daw while you monitor the wet signal by enabling a setting.

Can you point me in the direction of an example patch to do just that? I'm trying to work out a reamp patch right now and I'm not sure where I'm screwing up. Instruction would be appreciated!

deadringer said:
javajunkie said:

Can you point me in the direction of an example patch to do just that? I'm trying to work out a reamp patch right now and I'm not sure where I'm screwing up. Instruction would be appreciated!

Just put an fx loop as the first block and connect output 2 to the daw.

javajunkie said:
deadringer said:
javajunkie said:

Just put an fx loop as the first block and connect output 2 to the daw.

Thanks!

But Out2 is analog. It's better to reamp via SPDIF, although that requires a little bit more tweaking: connect the last block to Out2 and the Input straight to Out1(Digital), then use Out2 for monitoring and Out1(Digital) to DAW.

Another option if you're fine with tracking in mono is to pan the raw signal left and effected signal right. Then you can track using the spdif L and R to separate tracks. You'll have the effected one ready to use and can archive/mute the raw track if and when you need to reamp.

To be honest, I'm getting lazy with reamping and find that I'm enjoying the speed of just thinking about the right amp(s) for a song, dialing up a tone, and going for it. It's usually in the right ballpark and the tones from the axe-fx seem to sit in a mix so much better than other devices that only minimal tweaking is needed at mix time. I usually just record dry amp/cab tone though and leave delay/verb for the mix.

When dealing with plugin modeling, I find it's so easy to put off tone decisions that I put off decisions and leave myself with more of a mess to deal with at the end of the process. This is a shift in thinking for me, as I can be quite prone to analysis paralysis.

Piing said:
But Out2 is analog. It's better to reamp via SPDIF, although that requires a little bit more tweaking: connect the last block to Out2 and the Input straight to Out1(Digital), then use Out2 for monitoring and Out1(Digital) to DAW.

Not that big a deal if you have good converters.

Bump for option to clone inputs to SP/DIF and/or second analog output without having to alter patches

claudel said:
scarr said:

That's what I thought as well.

I'm not sure if that thread ever made it to the new board.

Added:

It'd be great if the problems with the digital I/O posted about previously were resolved.

What problems with the digital I/O are you talking about?

So based on those other two threads, it appears this is still an open question. I'm very interested in the answer, as this is one of the main reasons I bought the Axe-FX. I'm not a Digi user, but an old school M-Audio OmniStudio (PCI version) guy, FWIW.

Regards,
Jeff

SliderJeff said:
I'm very interested in the answer

To find the true answer you should perform this simple experiment:

1.- Record a clean guitar from the SPDIF out of the Axe-FX to your computer (setting your soundcard to "external sync")

2.- Connect the Digital Output of your soundcard to the Axe-FX SPDIF Input and play it back.

3.- Does it sound ok?

Not in my system

Back
Top Bottom