Mike And The Mechanics "Silent Running" Moody Floyd Rose Solo FW18

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
Here's a fun reason to have a Floyd Rose on a Les Paul. This is the solo from Mike and the Mechanics' "Silent Running". I love this moody solo!.
This is direct into a Tascam iXJ2 iOS interface for the iPhone 6. It's a $29 interface

This is the same Tyketto 18 preset with the gain backed way off and boost OFF. Feedback trickery.

Very nice technique with the Trem Mark... It seems like the action is pretty sensitive as well. I love using it that way too! Thanks for posting..

How do you go into the iXJ2 from the Axe? In fact, how do you wire up for the low volume feedback? Trying to figure it out but I'm missing a piece. Is there a diagram anywhere? Thanks boss!

Edit: For my mic I have an IK multimedia iRig MIC Cast. Suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

How do you go into the iXJ2 from the Axe? In fact, how do you wire up for the low volume feedback? Trying to figure it out but I'm missing a piece. Is there a diagram anywhere? Thanks boss!

Edit: For my mic I have an IK multimedia iRig MIC Cast. Suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I go from the AxeFx OUT 1 L & R with a 1/4", 1/4" to 1/8" TRS Insert cable to the iXJ2. iXJ2 with Lightning adapter to iPhone 6. Low-no volume feedback is achieved through the preset with an expression pedal controlling the mix level on the Comp and Pitch block. Lower the pedal and you get instant simulated feedback.

Mark

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums...D-1CF0-4D69-AD88-85511677039E_zps0i2sgmkk.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still trying to understand the interaction and set-up forthe mic and small speaker, how that's hooked up in relation to the iXJ2. That part is unclear.

There is NO mic. It's all direct. The feedback is totally simulated with this trick. The expression pedal slowly brings in increased sustain from the compressor and a fixed pitch(at +19..7th above octave).
It sounds very real but it is simulated and you can get this effect at ZERO volume.

Mark

I think that's what was confusing me. Since the pitch blocks do that, the part I didn't understand was how the iPhone mic and the little speaker came into play. It was in a different video. I thought it was all part of the same thing.

I think that's what was confusing me. Since the pitch blocks do that, the part I didn't understand was how the iPhone mic and the little speaker came into play. It was in a different video. I thought it was all part of the same thing.

I have not used the iPhone mic. It is always bypassed by the iXJ2 which is a direct audio interface. No mics ever used. Always direct.

Back
Top Bottom