Migrating Axe-Fx II presets to AX8: my approach

Waouh! Thumbs up, with two phrases you solved my problem! I was sure to have applied thoroughly your approach to the migration, but missed the noise gate at -20dB, that was the culprit. I can now fully enjoy this little marvel. Thanks to everybody that helped.

I also am trying to figure out a few things with a transfer of block files from AXE-FX II to AX8. I have some files that were done as Left and Right Channel blocks. How would those transfer over to the AX8 since there is only one amp block available? Would it be doable with the X and Y axis?

Also, on the conversion process like others noted I think. The levels are off. I went into the VU menu and tried the adjustment with the A knob and nothing really changed. On clean tones the volume level was low. On some of the Overdrive tones it was too high. I know the default is -12 DB but when I adjusted the knob there was no signal on the meter. At best I got the meter line to creep just barely past the + symbols. Most of the time there isn't any bar showing up no matter how extreme my twist on the adjustment knob is.

Most of the presets sound great otherwise. These last two pieces of the puzzle though would be very helpful to figure out though.

You won't be able to add amp2, AX8-Edit will pop up with a message.
Did you check the noise gate volume? If you import input block it will be on -20dB. Put it on 0dB.

What is the difference in term of "sound" between an Axe FX2 (i have one) and the Ax8 (than i could buy) ?

Thank you Yek ;)
But what is different ? because for the price, with an AX8, we have an Axe FX2+ a pedal board, and at a lower price than An Axe FX2+ a MFC !

You won't be able to add amp2, AX8-Edit will pop up with a message.
Did you check the noise gate volume? If you import input block it will be on -20dB. Put it on 0dB.
That definitely was a help. I appreciate the tip.

Also, if you import an INPUT block that was saved on the Axe-Fx, the LEVEL parameter in that block is set to -20 after importing. Should be 0 dB.

This comment should be a sticky and a crosspost in the AX8 area. I was pulling out what little hair on my noggin I had left, trying to figure out why my transferred settings to my AX8 were sounding so horrible. It was like I couldn't get a signal on my clean amps. Thank You for this and the thread in general. It took me some work to get around the send/return disappearing and remapping out my strategy, but I eventually got there using this as a model.

This comment should be a sticky and a crosspost in the AX8 area. I was pulling out what little hair on my noggin I had left, trying to figure out why my transferred settings to my AX8 were sounding so horrible. It was like I couldn't get a signal on my clean amps. Thank You for this and the thread in general. It took me some work to get around the send/return disappearing and remapping out my strategy, but I eventually got there using this as a model.

Happy to tell you that this will be fixed. :)

A few remarks, after 5 days of migrating around 400 presets (I took days off from my job just for that !)

- If the amp block has its input trim/gain controlled by Scene 1 (I have many 5 scenes presets using that feature), in the imported AX8 block, it will be Scene 2

- when you import a compressor block, it will always be a Studio Compressor model, even if the original was Pedal Comp 1 or 2. If I select a pedal comp model after the import, the following parameters will not reflect the orginal Axe-Fx block : Look ahead, Emphasis, Auto and sustain. Also, the block will be active, even if the original was bypassed (coming from an Axe-Fx II MKI, not a XL)

Just noticed something : the AX8 lamp block's level is not controllable by a modifier. However, if you import an Axe-Fx amp block where it is, it still works ! which is a great news for all my "five scenes" presets :

(the video is from a pre-quantum version)

So I'm now able to get those working in the AX8 ; I can tweak the settings in the modifiers page :

Amp_1.jpg

Amp_2.jpg

GREAT NEWS :)

So... could you share sample black with it? My idea is copy this block and use in another preset.
I hope that level control via modifieres would be possible in next FW/Axe edit.

Anyone having issues dragging blocks out of explorer onto the grid? It seems like it only works one time and then I have to shut down ax8 edit before I can drag a second block. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

I had to migrate a number of my Axe-Fx II presets to the AX8.
For anyone interested, here’s my approach.

Edit: Chris from AxeFxTutorials created a handy tutorial:
http://axefxtutorials.com/2016/02/i...les-to-share-among-devices-axe-fx-ii-ax8-fx8/

Preparations:
  • If possible, use a large screen. This allows you to keep the Axe-Edit and AX8-Edit windows visible at all times, without having to move them around, and keep a Finder/Explorer window in sight as well.
  • Connect the Axe-Fx II and AX8 to the computer using 2 USB connections, and launch the editors.
  • If you use 3rd-party IRs, load them into your AX8 first.
In Axe-Edit:
  • Load the source preset.
  • Execute “Save As Blocks In Library”.
  • Copy the preset title.
  • Remember the preset tempo.
In Finder/Explorer navigate to the folder under Documents/Fractal Audio where the block files are created.

In AX8-Edit:
  • Go to a blank preset slot.
  • Paste the preset title.
  • Enter the preset tempo.
  • If you want to migrate NOISE GATE settings: click on Input+Gate, then use Finder/Explorer to drag the saved INPUT block onto the Block Library widget.
    Beware: the migrated LEVEL parameter will always be set at -20, so adjust this to your liking (probably 0 db).
  • If you want to migrate internal controller settings: click on Controllers, then use Finder/Explorer to drag the saved Controllers block onto the Block Library widget. Check the settings afterwards, especially the Scene Controllers.
  • Now replicate the entire preset grid in AX8-Edit, by dragging and dropping blocks, one by one.
  • Migrated blocks will have the same engaged/bypassed state as in the source Axe-Fx II preset, per scene, with some exceptions.
  • If you use Reverb, add that block in an early stage, to prevent CPU load issues. If the Reverb's CPU requirements are too high, switch to Normal Quality. And if that doesn't solve it, switch to Spring Reverb.
  • If you use 3rd-party IRs, verify that the CAB block points to the correct slot.
  • Other parameters: there are a couple of Axe-Fx II AMP and CAB parameters missing in the AX8 firmware, don't worry about it. FILTER and PEQ on the AX8 do not have the LowShelving2 and HighShelving2 EQ types.
Migration caveats:
  • Some effect blocks are not supported by the AX8, such as the Multiband Compressor.
  • Some effect blocks such as Pitch are limited to one instance (instead of two on the Axe-Fx).
  • Some effect blocks on the AX8 do not support X/Y (i.e. GEQ and PEQ).
  • Vice versa, some effect blocks on the AX8 do support X/Y, while the Axe-Fx II version doesn’t (i.e. FILTER). In this case the block will always be engaged when migrated.
  • AMP block: its LEVEL value will not migrate correctly. Look up the value in the source preset. Don't forget to do this for the block's Y state as well if you use that (I have a global AMP X/Y switch).
  • FXL block: if you’re using FXL to feed a power amp amp through OUT 2, make sure FXL is branched off to a parallel row, and don’t connect it to the grid’s Output (or set its Level at -80).
  • I don’t use the saved Output block.
Scenes:
  • Don’t forget to go through scenes 2 and up. I’m using a maximum of 4 scenes per preset. Switches 1-4 are global scene switches on my AX8.
  • I make sure that scenes which aren’t used are muted, by setting the Bypass Mode of the CAB block to MUTE (the CAB block is always the last one on the grid).
  • Don't forget to check both X and Y values where applicable.
Assign the footswitches, if you don’t use “global” switches.

Save the preset.

Test the preset on the hardware.
Thank you very much! :)

Back
Top Bottom