midi solutions relay discovery..

larry

hi guys, it's my first thread so i'm kinda excited and i hope it proves useful to others!!

just wanted to share my findings incase anyone's interested in a midi solutions
relay to switch the modern voicing on a mesa 2:100 via midi.

after programming the relay and hooking it up to the ultra's midi thru, it didn't power up instantly
like with the 11Rack and it would only maintain it's position momentarily. even though the relay's
manual suggests that it is a momentary relay, john @ midi solutions basicaly said that it will
stay 'open' or 'closed' until it recieves a program change to do otherwise.

i used a voltmeter to test the relay for continuity while it was hooked up to the 11rack and found
that it does behave as john implied. however i did find that the midi thru on my ultra sends out 3.3
volts which is lower than the 3.5 volt minimum needed to power the relay.

i tested the midi thru of the 11rack and found that it sends 5.05 volts which meets the midi
specification.

i was kinda bummed to find this out. the modern voicing coupled with my live patches sound's
so awesome to me. the resulting tone bridges the tube/solidstate gap and seals the deal on
my ultra.

has anyone else tested the voltage output of their axe fx midi thru's ?? is it possible that mine
is defective?? or was the 3.3 volt output intentional??

help...

Sorry to hear about your misadventures. Contact Fractal support. They'll be able to answer your questions.

ok rex, will do. i hope they like to talk shop. i am very curious about the axe's
insides..

hi guys, it's my first thread so i'm kinda excited and i hope it proves useful to others!!

just wanted to share my findings incase anyone's interested in a midi solutions
relay to switch the modern voicing on a mesa 2:100 via midi.

after programming the relay and hooking it up to the ultra's midi thru, it didn't power up instantly
like with the 11Rack and it would only maintain it's position momentarily. even though the relay's
manual suggests that it is a momentary relay, john @ midi solutions basicaly said that it will
stay 'open' or 'closed' until it recieves a program change to do otherwise.

i used a voltmeter to test the relay for continuity while it was hooked up to the 11rack and found
that it does behave as john implied. however i did find that the midi thru on my ultra sends out 3.3
volts which is lower than the 3.5 volt minimum needed to power the relay.

i tested the midi thru of the 11rack and found that it sends 5.05 volts which meets the midi
specification.

i was kinda bummed to find this out. the modern voicing coupled with my live patches sound's
so awesome to me. the resulting tone bridges the tube/solidstate gap and seals the deal on
my ultra.

has anyone else tested the voltage output of their axe fx midi thru's ?? is it possible that mine
is defective?? or was the 3.3 volt output intentional??

help...

Ah man, that´s bad luck!
If Fractal says all is green and intentional with 3,3V.

It isn´t possible for John at midi solution to customize your relay, like lower the voltage needed for the relay or make an small add-on circuit that fix this?
Just throwing out some ideas that struck me while reading your post... good luck!

/Mike

Ah man, that´s bad luck!
If Fractal says all is green and intentional with 3,3V.

well, i emailed fractal audio support and this is what they had to say:

"The Axe-Fx uses 3.3V MIDI. Many newer products now use this. It will not self-power the MIDI
solutions products. They are aware of this. Contact them for more information."

so the 3.3V is intentional which isn't a bad thing. just a minor snag for anybody considering midi
solutions products.

It isn´t possible for John at midi solution to customize your relay, like lower the voltage needed for the relay or make an small add-on circuit that fix this?
Just throwing out some ideas that struck me while reading your post... good luck!

i'm waiting for a reply back from john actually.
i hope he can suggest a small circuit mod of some type, i would prefer
that option over simply powering the relay with a midi solutions power adapter.

IIRC the custom products section of midisolutions.com says
they will not custom make any hardware.

keeping the relay self-powered looks neater inside the rack to me then having two black boxes to
perform a single function. but the best part about modding the relay is the learning experience.
i'm no electronics engineer by any strech at all, but i would love to take on the challenge.

so there may be hope!

well, i emailed fractal audio support and this is what they had to say:

"The Axe-Fx uses 3.3V MIDI. Many newer products now use this. It will not self-power the MIDI
solutions products. They are aware of this. Contact them for more information."

so the 3.3V is intentional which isn't a bad thing. just a minor snag for anybody considering midi
solutions products.

i'm waiting for a reply back from john actually.
i hope he can suggest a small circuit mod of some type, i would prefer
that option over simply powering the relay with a midi solutions power adapter.

IIRC the custom products section of midisolutions.com says
they will not custom make any hardware.

keeping the relay self-powered looks neater inside the rack to me then having two black boxes to
perform a single function. but the best part about modding the relay is the learning experience.
i'm no electronics engineer by any strech at all, but i would love to take on the challenge.

so there may be hope!

Yeah, I remember something like that as well. Have asked before about them custommade their products, not that easy. If you know someone with knowledge in electronic it shouldn´t be to hard to find or figure out a solution.
Besides, of course, the really simple one: got any extra effect processor that you´ll use together with your axe? Or plan to buy one? Preferbly one with their midi circuit using 5V... ; D

Good luck!

/Mike

haha yeah..

i actually have a lexicon mpx g2 in my old live setup and an eleven rack for recording
-- but unfortunately i prefer the axe over either unit for live performance.
i have been rehearsing with the axe into a 2:100 for a few months now and
i finally have the sound i want out of it. if i can get the relay modded then that
would complete my live setup very nicely.

Thanks for updating us on your situation, Larry. Keep us posted when you have more news.

Did you ever get a solution to your issue? You may have a couple of very simple options...let me know if you got it fixed!

Brian

Back
Top Bottom