Midi and FM3

pittyguiar6

So I'm looking at coming back to the FM3 world (MK Turbo) and was wondering. If I did a midi foot controller, say the morning star mc6, can I have the 3 buttons on the FM3 for presets, etc... and have the midi controller "universal" as the scenes? So every preset, the midi controller controls scenes. Thank you all in advance, look forward to coming back to the light.

Yes, but it can do so much more. For example, I have a page on the MC6 set up as a "Home" page where I can choose FX, Scenes, Channels, Presets. If for example, I press the "FX" button, the MC6 switches to a page showing different FX. No matter what preset I'm in, I can turn Drive, Delay, Reverb, Tremolo, Chorus and Boost on or off from the MC6
I'm still barely scratching the surface of what it can do...

It depends on the MIDI controller. Some less capable controllers can only send fixed on and off values for CC messages, so they are not able to send the specific values needed to select individual scenes. For example, some can only send a fixed value of zero for OFF and 64 or 127 for ON. Scene select requires being able to send CC values zero through 7 for scenes 1 through 8 respectively.

Another thing to keep in mind is some MIDI controllers are not able to poll the Fractal device for current status of blocks or scenes, unless they support custom sysex messages or have a dedicated mode for integration with Fractal devices. This can result in your MIDI switches getting out of sync with the current state of blocks and scenes as you change presets and such. Sometimes you might have to hit a particular button twice to get it to the state you expect.

Ya, just to echo @mr_fender 's point about midi devices that can poll for states. I have an Axe3 controlled by an RJM Mastermind GT that can poll states, and an FM3 w/ another midi controller that doesn't. Both are workable in general, but it sure is nice on the RJM to poll and reflect states. It might be possible to set a midi controller to send and receive sysex messages that will poll and reflect the FM3 states, but there are some hurdles to parsing out the correct messages (in either direction).

I bought a used ampero control 4. It sends scenes and presets. 4 buttons and press two buttons together to bank up/down. bank 1 scenes 1-4, bank 2 scenes 5-8.
No brainer. Which is handy cause I don't have much left...

Still don't understand why they chose three buttons on an 8 scene machine. It's so cumbersome.

At home I use FB1010 to control scenes and effects, plus volume control and tuner recall. Sadly, control switches can be enabled only from FM3 in this configuration, so I keep boosts etc. on FM3, and scenes and effects on FB1010.
Live I'm doing just fine with FM3 alone, didn't feel any need to bring the big board with me.

At home I use FB1010 to control scenes and effects, plus volume control and tuner recall. Sadly, control switches can be enabled only from FM3 in this configuration, so I keep boosts etc. on FM3, and scenes and effects on FB1010.
Live I'm doing just fine with FM3 alone, didn't feel any need to bring the big board with me.
With a loopback you can assign cs midi on your fb1010 Wich I think is more powerful than a simple cs

So I'm looking at coming back to the FM3 world (MK Turbo) and was wondering. If I did a midi foot controller, say the morning star mc6, can I have the 3 buttons on the FM3 for presets, etc... and have the midi controller "universal" as the scenes? So every preset, the midi controller controls scenes. Thank you all in advance, look forward to coming back to the light.

Another thing to keep in mind is some MIDI controllers are not able to poll the Fractal device for current status of blocks or scenes,

To the OP, FYI, the MC6 is a unit that doesn't "know" the status FM3 blocks, as @mr_fender refers to above. The MC6 does have what they call a Fractal Integration Mode, which co-ordinates the MC6 display with the FM3, but only with respect to presets and scenes, not effect blocks. If you are considering the combination of FM3 and MC6, I would encourage you to review the "My OMC9 setup" thread started by user @hole - as he demonstrates there, the MC6 is an excellent and flexible addition to the FM3. Good luck!

With a loopback you can assign cs midi on your fb1010 Wich I think is more powerful than a simple cs
If you could please elaborate what is this loopback and how to set it up!
The only thing I'm missing with FB1010 (stock, no extra chip) is to be able to use six scene switches we typically assign to boosts, sat switch, etc.

CS switches cannot be trigged by MIDI messages, only by switches on Fractal devices. A loopback lets you send CS MIDI commands back to the FM3 itself. You'd connect a MIDI cable from the FM3's MIDI OUT back to the FCB1010's MIDI IN and then turn on MIDI Thru on FCB1010. You still won't be able to activate a CS switch via MIDI though.

You can use an External Controller instead. Assign one in the MIDI/Remote menu to the same CC# used by the FCB1010 switch you want to use and then assign that External Controller as the modifier source in your preset instead of a Control Switch.

You can use an External Controller instead. Assign one in the MIDI/Remote menu to the same CC# used by the FCB1010 switch you want to use and then assign that External Controller as the modifier source in your preset instead of a Control Switch.
Wow, thank you!
Does this require loopback or it works with a single cable?

If you could please elaborate what is this loopback and how to set it up!
The only thing I'm missing with FB1010 (stock, no extra chip) is to be able to use six scene switches we typically assign to boosts, sat switch, etc.
I don't own a FB1010 but I use an airstep.

To use control
CS switches cannot be trigged by MIDI messages, only by switches on Fractal devices. A loopback lets you send CS MIDI commands back to the FM3 itself. You'd connect a MIDI cable from the FM3's MIDI OUT back to the FCB1010's MIDI IN and then turn on MIDI Thru on FCB1010. You still won't be able to activate a CS switch via MIDI though.

ha yes sorry. I used cs midi with a external switch !

And thanks for the external control tip!

Back
Top Bottom