Microsoft Authenticator App

Reminds me to change my passwords more often.... can't wait for AI to know all secrets.... be afraid

Last edited:
We use Okta ar work. Works quite well on my laptop, can be a pain in the rear in combination with aps on my iPhone.

Thanks to my role at my day job, I think I have 5 authenticator apps just because I have to be able to work with whatever our clients decide to use. There are times when it takes a few minutes to even find where the TOTP code is.

Microsoft is nowhere near the most onerous.

ETA: Ironically, the ones that are the easiest to use are also the least secure. That trade-off between security and convenience is not going anywhere any time soon.

I just quit working for a client that used Microsoft One Drive. One Drive web browser based Excel crashed my browser 99 % of the time, and I have a M1 MacBook Pro. Also had to log in with the Authenticator app to gain access. What a relief I don't have to work with that anymore.

We use it at work with more than 50k employees... Mostly works fine for me.

Pretty much everything we do is tied into it in some way.

Of course that is Enterprise version and mostly using MFA.
Big company worker here too.
We used to have more than one way to verify. I opted for the one where ”it” calls me and I press “X”...easy, cool.
Now we have to use Authenticator and when I get the text message I have to unlock my phone and then enter the 2 digit code.

Got mine for most of my personal stuff and honestly it works very well. I just wish Apple had something native for IOS.

Thanks to my role at my day job, I think I have 5 authenticator apps just because I have to be able to work with whatever our clients decide to use. There are times when it takes a few minutes to even find where the TOTP code is.
If it's just rolling TOTP codes, you can standardize on 1Password and use it for everything.

If it's just rolling TOTP codes, you can standardize on 1Password and use it for everything.
Wait what?
1P can generate codes for Okta, for instance?
Didn't know that.
Is that feature available for personal accounts, or business only?
If it's in personal, roughly how?

Sadly, it's not just TOTP. And, FWIW, having your password manager generate TOTP codes kind of defeats the whole second factor part of the equation.....sort of. You can still use 2FA for the manager itself, which is something.

Also, no, sadly it's not just TOTP.

And, FWIW, having your password manager generate TOTP codes kind of defeats the whole second factor part of the equation.....sort of.
The point isn't to make you open multiple apps. The point is to make someone poking at the login fields on a web page require that they have access to your second device to log in. That's accomplished equally well if you use one app for both the password and the 2FA code or two apps.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom