MFC-Edit program

I have Fedit and don't really like it.

I was hoping for a Fractal produced, supported program.

Something along the lines of Jeff's stuff from Liquidfoot.

I have Fedit and don't really like it.

I was hoping for a Fractal produced, supported program.

Something along the lines of Jeff's stuff from Liquidfoot.

Sorry to hear that, if there are particular items you are having issues with or questions certainly PM me. I'd be happy to work through them with you and/or entertain enhancement suggestions. Certainly try the alternative as well, it's a different approach to maintain the same data and may fit your workflow better.

Regards,
Jason

Axe-Edit is an excellent editor for the Axe-Fx product line. It is made by and maintained by Fractal Audio Systems. And it's free of charge. Axe-Edit gets updates frequently because it evolves in parallel with the Axe-Fx Hardware and Firmware.

MFC-Edit and Fedit are also excellent products, by two different authors, each evolving their editor to keep pace with the MFC-101 Hardware and Firmware and with feedback from the user community as to features and functionality. The support for both products is stellar - I've seen the posts on the forum. Support not just for their respective editors, but for people working with the MFC-101.

The only difference I can see is that they are not free - but then they aren't included "for free" with a $2,700 product. Both editors improve and evolve and for most users, especially new users with a steep learning curve, they are surely better than no editor at all :pride:

That being said, I do understand the expectation that Fractal would provide an editor with the MFC-101 as they did with the Axe-Fx. We've been spoiled with the Ax-Fx and Axe-Edit and many other manufacturers bundle an editor with their gear so the expectation is totally understandable.

Last edited:
So, does anyone know if Fractal is working on, or planning an editor for the MFC in the near future?

Sorry to hear that, if there are particular items you are having issues with or questions certainly PM me. I'd be happy to work through them with you and/or entertain enhancement suggestions. Certainly try the alternative as well, it's a different approach to maintain the same data and may fit your workflow better.

Regards,
Jason

I apologize for my post.

My words didn't come out quite right.

I can use your product, but it is not as intuitive (I guess would be the best way to describe it) as FAMC product editors are, to me at least.

Your product is well worth the money I paid for it!

The coolest feature (IMO) of the FAMC editor is the "View" feature, which shows an image of the controller where you can manipulate the button programming by clicking on the button. I think all controller editors should have a feature like this. I was able to rearrange my button order/layout in less than 30 seconds just by dragging one button to another to swap them.

Gary,

When reorganizing Songs in Set Mode within MFC Edit, does the program drag along the PC changes in the Song to the new location?

Yes, it does. Reordering SONGs in the SETS screen actually internally just reorders the position of the SONG in the SET. It doesn't really move the SONG at all. So moving the SONG in the SETS screen still points to the same SONG in the SONG list.
Does that make sense or did I confuse you more? :roll

Yes, it does. Reordering SONGs in the SETS screen actually internally just reorders the position of the SONG in the SET. It doesn't really move the SONG at all. So moving the SONG in the SETS screen still points to the same SONG in the SONG list.
Does that make sense or did I confuse you more? :roll
Got it. Thanks for the reply, Gary. So once I assign all my PC changes to the other devices (Korg X50 & Roland Sampler), and enter my Axe preset assignments in InT CC & Maps using MFC Edit, all that information will remain intact when I reorder the Song in Set mode?

Your PM with me about controlling the Axe, a Korg, and Sampler with the push of a button in Song mode REALLY helped me out! I posted your reply for the benefit of others if they are looking for a similar solution. I'm CLOSE to implementing that solution. The only two questions I have remaining are:

1). You said to use the Int CC & Mapping function in MFC Edit judiciously when assigning Axe Presets, as it can be complicated to maintain and could become a nightmare later on. I didn't really understand that due to my sheer lack of experience. I would rather avoid experiencing a nightmare, however. Lol. That being said, would it be better to just use Axe Edit and align my Axe presets with the corresponding number of the MFC preset in Song mode? In others words, I would like Song 1 to do the following:

Song 1

Axe Presets: 110, 49, 23
Korg Preset: 119
Sampler: 89

So, in MFC Edit, wouldn't I have to use the Map function to point to 110 on the Axe because the default would be Axe preset 1 if the MFC preset is 1 for Song 1?

2). I'm still trying to figure out how to instruct the Korg X50 using three digits (I guess) how to do 3 things: Combination Mode, Select Bank A, B, C, or D, and then preset number within the bank. I have no idea what to enter in MFC Edit in the Program Change column. The Korg forum is DEAD! If anyone knows how you would give those three instructions in a midi command....pray tell!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks for the reply, Gary. So once I assign all my PC changes to the other devices (Korg X50 & Roland Sampler), and enter my Axe preset assignments in InT CC & Maps using MFC Edit, all that information will remain intact when I reorder the Song in Set mode?
YES

1). Yes. Axe-Edit is an awesome program. You can reorder your Presets so easily on the Axe-Fx with Axe-Edit. Also, it's not the CC's that you map, it would be the PC's (Program Change commands). Better to avoid that.

2). MFC-101 makes this easy for you. When you enter the PC on the IA SWITCHES screen of MFC-Edit (or enter it into the MFC-101 directly) the MFC-101 will send a Bank Select followed by the Program Change number. The MFC-101 automatically calculates the correct Bank and PC# from the value you enter. See section 12.4.10 in the MFC-101 Owner's manual for more information. The same applies to the Program Change commands at the foot of the PRESETS & EXT.DEVS screen of MFC-Edit. See section 12.1.2 from the MFC-101 Owner's Manual for more information on that.

Here's how to calculate the PC# to enter into MFC-Edit or the MFC-101:

Your Banks each are "numbered"
A=0
B=1
C=2 etc.

Step 1: If your Korg preset is in Bank A, multipy 128 by 0 (remember A=0) - result is 0.
Step 2: Take that result, 0, and add it to your preset # of the korg. Example. Korg preset Bank A, preset #19 would be: 0 + 19. Enter 19 into the PC field.

Another example: Korg preset: Bank C, preset #27
Step 1: Multiply 128 by 2 (remember C=2) - result is 256
Step 2: Take that result, 256, and add the preset number of 27. 256 + 27 = 283. Enter 283 into the PC value field. The MFC-will take that number and reverse the process we just did to compute the number and determine the Bank and Preset# from that and send it.

Make sense?
-G

Yes it sure does. That's a really cool feature! I've been researching the issue for several days and finally found a Korg chart that indicates the following example for Bank A of a Korg X50:

Message /Value

Controller 0 / 0
Controller 32 / 0=A 1=B 2=C 3=D
Prog. Change / 0-127

Thus, Bank A004 would be 0,0,4
And Bank B005 would be 0,1,5, and so on through the banks.

Would this affect the analysis for implementation?

Last edited:
Nope. That sounds reasonable. Experiment a bit and you'll have it figured out. You're almost there :)
-G

Nope. That sounds reasonable. Experiment a bit and you'll have it figured out. You're almost there :)
-G

I am almost there. With the info that you've shared with me in the pm and the post above, along with the 2 weeks of pouring through the Korg forums and MFC/Edit manuals, I should have enough to get me there!

I think I'll take a few organizational steps just to keep things less complicated, like relocating all my Korg combi's to Bank A, and swapping all my Axe presets currently in Bank B to Bank A to allign with MFC preset numbers.

Thanks very much for all the helpful info and willingness to share. At the end of the day, if I can stomp on an MFC button and have my Axe, Korg, and Roland where they need to be for a Song, then my band mates and I will have a lot more fun!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom