MFC 101 - Overly Bright LED's?

zaphoid

Inspired
So I just got my MFC-101 and its wonderful from a functionality standpoint. However the LED's are so incredibly bright that its almost not useable in a live situation. Is there any way to bring the brightness down? Has anyone else had a problem with this? They are so bright I have a headache hehe. There is no way I could read any labels even if I had them on there.

If you are adventurous, you can try experimenting with placing resistors in series with the LEDs to reduce brightness. You might start with a variable resistor (potentiometer) and measure the DC resistance of the pot when the desired brightness is achieved, then replace the pot with a fixed resistor of the same value. This method will, alas, give varying results even when the resistance has the same value. This is because the amount of forward current required for to produce light varies even among LEDs in the same manufacturing lot. In practice, different LEDs may be dimmed by different amounts, even if the resistor value is the same.

Another approach might be to use optical filtering. You can purchase sheets of neutral grey gel filter inexpensively. Find a filter density that suits you (transmission=75%, or 50%, or other value to taste) and affix small squares of gel over the LEDs. Hokey? You bet. But it may be the least expensive way to achieve your goal.

Yet another approach might be to ask Fractal Audio if the current supply to the LEDs might be under software control. If so, perhaps they might expose that value as a user-controllable parameter in a future release of MFC-101 software.

Finally, it could just be that your future's so bright, you gotta wear shades. :cool:

xrist04 said:
If you are adventurous, you can try experimenting with placing resistors in series with the LEDs to reduce brightness. You might start with a variable resistor (potentiometer) and measure the DC resistance of the pot when the desired brightness is achieved, then replace the pot with a fixed resistor of the same value. This method will, alas, give varying results even when the resistance has the same value. This is because the amount of forward current required for to produce light varies even among LEDs in the same manufacturing lot. In practice, different LEDs may be dimmed by different amounts, even if the resistor value is the same.

Another approach might be to use optical filtering. You can purchase sheets of neutral grey gel filter inexpensively. Find a filter density that suits you (transmission=75%, or 50%, or other value to taste) and affix small squares of gel over the LEDs. Hokey? You bet. But it may be the least expensive way to achieve your goal.

Yet another approach might be to ask Fractal Audio if the current supply to the LEDs might be under software control. If so, perhaps they might expose that value as a user-controllable parameter in a future release of MFC-101 software.

Finally, it could just be that your future's so bright, you gotta wear shades. :cool:

LOL xrist04!
Well for now I just went with the ghetto approach, and put some scotch tape over each LED and drew on the tape with a marker. That seemed to do the trick for now.....Im just curious if I am in the minority on this one.

You could coat the inside of the lenses that cover the LEDs with some opaque nail polish. Or put a little Scotch tape over them.

It's funny really. I was doing some beta testing of a pedal and one of the comments I sent back to the guys designing it was the LEDs were too bright. They had a green LED on there that would sear a spot on the back of your eye every time you bent over the pedal to adjust it. And to think: 5 years ago we were all complaining about red LEDs being too dim on pedals!

I use a really small piece of masking tape to dull down extremely bright LED's, it works pretty well and doesn't really change the color enough to notice.

xrist04 said:

That would be awesome, especially if we could adjust brightness for specific colors (probably not possible, but you never know). I'm color blind with certain colors, and after just a few hours with my new MFC, I can tell that seeing the difference between the red and green will be an issue.

I once had a behringer pedal that had a super-bright LED. $0.80. Electrical tape. Cut small pieces and cover the LED's. If you want you can punch a tiny hole in the electrical tape so a little amount of brightness gets through. Cheap and no permanent damage.

Sorry to hear that. I had asked about this in Scott P's MFC thread but never got the verdict. Just as lights can be too dim, they can also be too bright. The lights on my GT-10 will fry retinas, so I put some blue painter's masking tape over all of the LEDs. That helped immensely. Sounds like I'll probably have to do something similar when I get an MFC.

I just now read this thread and PROMPTLY tried he LED's on the MFC in the same "dark stage" lighting levels I would have in a number of venues. OMG !!! are those LED's bright !

Even with some masking tape over them.. useable, but still BRIGHT !!!
For the money I spent on this device, you'd think that there could be a day/night switch on the MFC that would allow one to adjust the LED light levels... really annoying to spend $800 on the MFC and then have to buy a freakin' $3.50 roll of masking tape to DIM the LEDS !! Besides, it looks so darn sloppy with small pieces of tape over every light (My $0.02)

Well the simplest solution so far, is to take some black permanent marker and carefully draw a layer on the LED cap. I hated doing it, but it is easily removed with some rubbing alcohol if need be. Having any sort of tape on there looked awful.

Too bright is definitely a better problem than not bright enough.

I am sure it will come in handy on an outdoor gig.

Yeah, they are bright, but not too bright.... you would want that in an outdoor daylight situation. They seem just about right to me.

Besides... the LED's are only supposed to be there for a quick indication and confirmation of what is on... if you are staring down at your pedal board the whole time, then you are neglecting part of your duties an "entertainer"... to entertain... ( NOT said as an A-hole comment... )

Having played a few outdoor festivals where the LEDs dissapear completely in the sun, this could be good news! User-select brightness would be cool, but failing that Id rather have bright than dim.

This is in no way a stab at the OP or any of those who have stated their LEDs may be 'too bright' for some situations.

I just think its funny that 'people' in general will always find something to complain about. :lol:

There have been some decent suggestions so far that are worth a shot. Brightness settings in the firmware???? If thats possible I'll be freaking impressed. No chance anyone could touch THAT level of customer service.
I'd rather them be too bright than not bright enough myself.

Robboman said:
Having played a few outdoor festivals where the LEDs dissapear completely in the sun, this could be good news! User-select brightness would be cool, but failing that Id rather have bright than dim.
despite my earlier "groan" about bright LED's and tape.. I have to agree that I have had this problem - especially with LCD displays where they are totally un-readable under direct sunlight. I guess this is one of those "can't have it both ways" issues. Works fine in daylight, but creates some challenges on dark stages.

@PlaysARobin
I just think its funny that 'people' in general will always find something to complain about.
I would agree with this in many cases, but not here. There's too many folks on this forum who act like FAS hung the moon. My FC-300 will do pretty much EVERYTHING the MFC will do (and more in some scenarios) for less than 1/2 the price. What it doesn't do is integrate flawlessly with the Axe, requires MUCHO tweaking to work with the Axe, and is why I have the MFC. To me that is worth the price differential, but it doesn't alter the fact that the MFC is a "pricey" (albeit) pro controller [IMHO]. We've already seen TWO firmware upgrades (which is good BTW) since it's initial rollout less than 30 days ago. If you believe that discussing how to deal with bright LED's is complaining, you should go visit the Window7 forums - and that product is available for a mere $150 !

PlaysARobin said:
I just think its funny that 'people' in general will always find something to complain about

Certain types of "complaining" provide manufacturers insight into customers' needs and desires, and may serve to drive product development and improvement forward...other types of "complaining" are just "whining" and do nothing....I'll let Fractal decide which is which ;)

xrist04 said:

That would be awesome... especially if it could be controlled by an expression pedal, so the lights would get brighter/dimmer according to your volume swells...

Back
Top Bottom