MFC-101 changing presets jumps to scenes?

2934sps

New to the Fractal community, love my AXE FX II! but just experienced twice this week, while changing presets on row 1-5 that a scene came up instead of the assigned preset? Am I doing something to cause this? appreciate the education!

Delete individual programming of the (assumed second hand bought) unit by resetting the unit. Before doing that, check the MIDI/SCENES Mapping on you Axe-Fx, which can cause in same results. Also re-check Banksize. If its "0", you actually didn`t have any Preset-Switches, but only IA-Switches (who can be adressed to switch scenes).

If you inadvertently hit/depressed the Reveal button on the MFC you will switch from Preset to Scene mode. The MFC is setup for a short tap to make the switch. You can change the MFC so that you depress and hold for a longer time and thus not inadvertently making changes. To do so:

MFC > Edit > Setup > Page Left to Edit Menu Short > Up to Edit Menu Long > Exit/Edit to Save

Check Cooper Carter's video: 2:06 mark of the following video: Setting up the Axe-Fx II XL, MFC-101 MK III, and Mission Engineering SP-1 - YouTube

there is no "scene mode." Scenes are always available and you always use at least Scene 1.

whenever you call up any Preset, you call up Preset #xxx Scene 1. it's not a mode to turn on or something.

with default settings, and MFC-101 can be put into Reveal Mode - this changes Preset switches (default 1-5) to IA/effect switches. instead of choosing Presets, those switches now engage/bypass effects. the effects on switches 1-5 happen to be Scenes 1-5. so this is not "scene mode" by any means. calling it that will make things very confusing later.

regarding the original question: when you say "a scene came up" do you mean pressing a switch 1-5 made the MFC screen say "Scene x" (whatever number) and the Preset number stayed the same on the Axe display, but the Scene number changed?

if yes, then perhaps you did enter Reveal Mode and switched the Scenes like i described above.

did this seem to happen randomly? might you have pressed the Reveal switch on the top right of the MFC? did the switches select Presets at some point?

if you are sure you did not press the Reveal switch at any time, something else may be going on. i highly suggest a factory reset of the MFC, assuming you haven't programmed or setup much. the manual will tell you how to do that.

once you are at default settings, it will be much easier for us to troubleshoot if it happens again (assuming that you didn't press the Reveal switch).

Thx Chris... I believe I indeed hit the Reveal switch... you are correct, I was still on my preset but tapping the other IA switches changed the scene number, etc... I will make the change to a long hold tap to prevent this again... Thx for the newbee education!

Or just don't hit that switch. ;)

When you change it to long press, you are actually just changing Looper Control mode to short press. So now if you accidentally hit that switch, you won't change scenes but instead you'll be pressing Looper controls.

I'd leave it as short press = Reveal mode so you can utilize that feature. Just... Don't hit that button when you don't mean to?

Back
Top Bottom