MFC 101, AXE 2 and Axe Edit not communicating well

krcassid

Inspired
One of the things that I was most exited about on my new Axe 2 was the ability to use my MFC and Axe Edit at the same time. I do all my editing in Axe Edit. I got everything hooked up, upgraded etc and it's working. But, Axe Edit does not "see" the changes made by the MFC and the MFC does not "register" the changes made by Axe Edit. Either Axe Adit or the MFC can change the AXE 2. But, the changes do not seem to be passed through the Axe to the software (from the MFC) or to the MFC (from Axe Edit).

Is this correct behavior? I've checked both manuals and neither seems to address this. I just assumed that communication was bidirectional to both devices from the Axe 2.

Am I missing something?

Thx for your help!

the MFC and Axe Edit are MIDI controllers only. they don't have the ability to change each other, only the axe fx itself. it's a bummer too, because i edit patches with axe edit and would love to use the MFC at the same time vs. constantly grabbing for my mouse.

I noticed that when the MFC is hooked up, I can't save edits in AxeEdit. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I doing something wrong?

I have all the latest software updates...

* Hook it all up.
* Use AxeEdit to modify some parameter, i.e., Treble on Amp.
* Save
* Switch to another preset and back.
* Changes are lost

JohnLutz said:
I noticed that when the MFC is hooked up, I can't save edits in AxeEdit. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I doing something wrong?

* Hook it all up.
* Save
* Changes are lost

No prob here. Are you sure you're not saving to disk instead of to the Axe?

the MFC and Axe Edit are MIDI controllers only. they don't have the ability to change each other, only the axe fx itself.

Is this not just a question of "midi thru"? Obviously, both controllers are sending messages to the hardware so they do output midi. The question is: why don't these midi instructions pass thru the Axe to the other controller? The MFC gets info (patch names, tuner...) from the Axe so it is clearly capable of communicating bidirectionally. The midi connection with Axe Edit is bidrectional...

Tonight, I was reviewing the Axe 2 wiki and it states the following:

Using Axe-Edit and the MFC-101 at the same time (MIDI merging)

Axe-Edit (via USB) and the MFC-101 (via CAT5) can be connected to / used with the Axe-Fx II at the same time. Previously, this required the use of an additional MIDI merge device. Now Axe-Edit provides the MIDI merging support. This means that both the MFC-101 and Axe-Edit can be used to control the Axe-Fx II, and changes made by one device are reflected in the others. This is also possible when using the Standard or Ultra, after adjusting settings in Axe-Edit.

So, it clearly states that changes in one device are reflected in the (plural) others. This runs contrary to everything Ive seen in this thread and forum. So, is wiki wrong? I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. But, this would be huge for me. I can't understand why the Axe cannot pass midi thru from MFC to AE and visa versa. This seems to indicate that it can do so.

I would love to see an official answer to krcassid's last post because I struggle with the same problem and interpret the manual the same way. The other odd part is that there is an option in AxeEdit on the MIDI Settings / Merge tab called "Software responds to MIDI Controller Control Changes" but it doesn't seem to do what the option seems to indicate (seems like it doesn't do anything to me?). The related check box for Program Changes seems to function as expected and AxeEdit responds appropriately.

Well... it should eventually be able to make it work so that preset changes from the MFC-101 are reflected in Axe-Edit.

In fact, I kinda thought this behavior was supported but not documented/tested. I'll ask someone who knows better to take a look at this thread.

It will never be possible, as far as I can surmise, for changes made to an Axe-Fx via Axe-Edit to be updated on the MFC-101 without SAVING then re-loading the current preset via the MFC-101.

Well... it should eventually be able to make it work so that preset changes from the MFC-101 are reflected in Axe-Edit.

In fact, I kinda thought this behavior was supported but not documented/tested. I'll ask someone who knows better to take a look at this thread.

This would be a great start. Any communication between MFC and Axe Edit would be very helpful. But, this raises that bigger question: if ANY changes (IE preset changes) can be communicated from MFC thru AXE 2 to Axe Edit, then why can't all changes be communicated? It's all midi, right? In order for Axe Edit to reflect a preset changed by the MFC, it has to recieve midi PC and/or Bank Change data, right? If it can recieve this, why can't it recieve other midi data? Huge amonst these would be bypass states of EFX, X/Y... If you use the MFC to bypass your delay and it doesn't show up in Axe Edit, things get confusing fast. Axe Edit shows the delay as on. But, it is bypassed. then you use your MFC to change amps but Axe Edit still shows you are using the old amp. For someone like me, who uses Axe Edit constantly to program, this is a fairly major problem. It basically renders Axe Edit all but useless if you are making simultaneos changes with the MFC. It's actually kind of hard to understand what utility there is in now being able to connect both controllers simultaneosly.

I am not as concerned about the MFC showing changes from Axe Edit. I think most of us are using the GUI in Axe Edit to see what's going on. If the LEDs don't change on the MFC, that's no big deal.

Going back to the documentation I quoted above, this states pretty clearly that state changes should be reflected bidirectonally on all 3 devices, Axe Edit, Axe 2 and the MFC. I'd just like a definitive answer. If it doesn't work, we can do things the way we always have. If it does work and we can figure it out, that would be a huge help!

Thx!

* Hook it all up.
* Save
* Changes are lost

I think aleclee is on the right track. I always use the "Save As" button so I can be certain what I am saving and where. My assumption is that the "save" button saves to a location but I've never been sure what that location is (presumably the source you are working with?) I've had similar problems so I use Save As which forces you to tell Axe Edit where you want your changes saved. It's also a good habit for me because I often don't want to overwrite the source preset (but still can if I want to using Save As).

This would be a great start. Any communication between MFC and Axe Edit would be very helpful. But, this raises that bigger question: if ANY changes (IE preset changes) can be communicated from MFC thru AXE 2 to Axe Edit, then why can't all changes be communicated? It's all midi, right? In order for Axe Edit to reflect a preset changed by the MFC, it has to recieve midi PC and/or Bank Change data, right? If it can recieve this, why can't it recieve other midi data? Huge amonst these would be bypass states of EFX, X/Y... If you use the MFC to bypass your delay and it doesn't show up in Axe Edit, things get confusing fast. Axe Edit shows the delay as on. But, it is bypassed. then you use your MFC to change amps but Axe Edit still shows you are using the old amp. For someone like me, who uses Axe Edit constantly to program, this is a fairly major problem. It basically renders Axe Edit all but useless if you are making simultaneos changes with the MFC. It's actually kind of hard to understand what utility there is in now being able to connect both controllers simultaneosly.

I am not as concerned about the MFC showing changes from Axe Edit. I think most of us are using the GUI in Axe Edit to see what's going on. If the LEDs don't change on the MFC, that's no big deal.

Going back to the documentation I quoted above, this states pretty clearly that state changes should be reflected bidirectonally on all 3 devices, Axe Edit, Axe 2 and the MFC. I'd just like a definitive answer. If it doesn't work, we can do things the way we always have. If it does work and we can figure it out, that would be a huge help!

Thx!

KRCassid has put into words everything I was thinking but was too lazy to post. Yes if Axe-Edit could at least reflect the bypass states and X/Y from the floor controller that would be a big deal for me.

I'm having exactly the same problems and questions that krassid would like addressed - and one other that maybe some of you can help we with:
I do have the AXE EDit software partially working - it does change the main AXE FX unit when scrolling up / down through presets. However, in the Axe Edit midi I/O settings, I can't access the proper dropdown menus to configure it correctly. Opposite the MIDI Input: is the drop-down window, but my only 2 options to place in there is "none" or "AXE-FX MIDI Out" - just the opposite of the set-up instructions. Likewise, I get the opposite for MIDI Output: AXE-FX II MIDI in. Hmmm. I've confirmed the computer is compliant in all specs, the drivers are loaded, and MIDI channel 1 confirmed on both the AXE FX II and the MFC. Any idea how to get the proper drop-down menu options for the Axe Edit MIDI I/O configuration? Most grateful for any advice. Thanks

Hey Admin M@,

Any feedback from the person you were going to ask to take a look at this?

Thanks,
Mike

I do have the AXE EDit software partially working - it does change the main AXE FX unit when scrolling up / down through presets. However, in the Axe Edit midi I/O settings, I can't access the proper dropdown menus to configure it correctly. Opposite the MIDI Input: is the drop-down window, but my only 2 options to place in there is "none" or "AXE-FX MIDI Out" - just the opposite of the set-up instructions. Likewise, I get the opposite for MIDI Output: AXE-FX II MIDI in. Hmmm. I've confirmed the computer is compliant in all specs, the drivers are loaded, and MIDI channel 1 confirmed on both the AXE FX II and the MFC.
You are correct, and it appears that this is due to a USB Handle naming issue. Mine are the same and work fine. If you select "AXE-FX MIDI Out" as MIDI In port and "AXE-FX MIDI In" as the MIDI Out port, does it all work ??

If so.. leave it be.. it's a device label [name] that is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom