Metallica's latest rig rundown has an interesting nugget!

I just do it similar to the @paulmapp8306 way and turn the volume down on the global EQ then, with the AF2 outputs and Matrix attenuators set fully clockwise, raise the global EQ Volume to as loud as I'll ever need it or the rig will take.

Last edited:
I spoke to the Metallica guys about this. Apparently, they found that knob position to matter substantially, and each of them arrived at this conclusion independently. I guess I will update my recommendations about this in the future!
I've always had my GT1000FX set to 2 o'clock.. and control the level from the Axe
it just seemed to make sense..

Zaemo and I are big believers in the " One Experiment is better than 1000 theories" mindset, I am so thrilled that you guys tried it and found it to be helpful, I am now thinking about why we did not go even further, to find out if the are any further gains (pun Intended) to be had with even higher settings. So thank you all for your input and "open mindedness". It is why we appreciate this forum. We learn so much from you guys.

Thx

Justin

Wonder if James' guitar tech is aware that the Antares ATG DSP system they use in that Variax body is being mothballed?

I use that to set the overall level. Can be anything between 7 and 12 o'clock.

I thought the Matrix level should be set based on the power handling of the speakers in the cab.
If you max out the Matrix and turn the output of the a Axe Fx to 0, how much power is going to the speakers?

It's a balancing act of the signal level into the amp and the output level of the amp.

I thought the Matrix level should be set based on the power handling of the speakers in the cab.
This is actually a good question because while the consensus is the Matrix sounds better with its attenuator knob set "high", this also means that failure to control the output of the axe-fx could result in speaker damage.

So how quiet is the Matrix, noise-wise? How much extra white noise will setting the Matrix's volume at 2:00 add to the chain?

Great video!
I'm glad @Zaemo and the guys made this video.
Also glad you made the video yourselves.
It's always inspiring to see how professional you guys are.

Nice video.. cool to see some input here from the real techs, etc. I always like to get a behind the scenes look at this stuff.

I thought that it was standard to run solid state power amps at full volume and adjust the output via the preamp.

I thought that it was standard to run solid state power amps at full volume and adjust the output via the preamp.

For me it depends on the amps. Some have quite a bit of self noise when the amp volume is maxed. It works but if you aren't using all the available SPL level, turning down the amp can reduce hiss in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom