Metallica's latest rig rundown has an interesting nugget!

ThelmoRego

Inspired
Hi everyone!
I was watching Metallica's latest rig rundown and Kirks tech dropped an interesting nugget that I never thought of. He mention that the Matrix gt1000fx really opened up and started to sound better at 1-2 o'clock. Maybe some of you knew that already but I always ran mine the way Cliff once suggested a long time ago which was to set the Matrix at noon and then bring your Axe Fx up to desired volume. Kirks tech states that he runs the Matrix around 1-2 o'clock and runs the Axe Fx lower if necessary.
I can't try this until tomorrow but really looking forward to seeing if I hear a difference. Just wanted to share in case anyone else wants to try this as well.

Here is the link for the video:

A friend of mine called matrix directly and told them it sounded better when he dimed the sucker. My understanding is Matrix corroborated this and just said to be careful with volume as well as turning on and off.

That doesn't make much sense because the level controls are just attenuation controls.

I've got a GT800FX, so I'll try it and see. I normally have mine at about 1 o'clock already and my Axe Fx output level is at 27%. I don't remember how I ended up there :)

Louder is going to drive the speaker harder, move more air, change the frequency thresholds on the curve of minimum audibility, aka Fletcher-Munson effect. I don't think the Matrix is putting out a significantly different or warmer tone, etc, given its a SS amp, BUT, I do think the subjective impressions of the tone are being affected by how hard the on-stage cabs are being driven.

Is running the Axe output at noon and Matrix at noon, the exact same output as running the Axe at say 11 and the Matrix at 1 ?? Probably not, maybe the Matrix at 1 or 2, and the Axe at even 9am still results in a hotter signal to the cab that even 1 oclock on the Axe and noon on the Matrix, know what I mean ?

Louder is going to drive the speaker harder, move more air, change the frequency thresholds on the curve of minimum audibility, aka Fletcher-Munson effect. I don't think the Matrix is putting out a significantly different or warmer tone, etc, given its a SS amp, BUT, I do think the subjective impressions of the tone are being affected by how hard the on-stage cabs are being driven.

Is running the Axe output at noon and Matrix at noon, the exact same output as running the Axe at say 11 and the Matrix at 1 ?? Probably not, maybe the Matrix at 1 or 2, and the Axe at even 9am still results in a hotter signal to the cab that even 1 oclock on the Axe and noon on the Matrix, know what I mean ?
One would hope the tech would be aware of that...

One would hope, but who knows..... maybe they do, but the artist thinks it makes a difference, and if you keep your artist happy, your doing your job.

Can't underestimate the power of having a knob that goes up to "11" right ?

If somebody who has a Matrix GT-1000 would test this, that would be helpful.

Play with the Matrix volume relatively low, like at 8 oclock or something with the Axe output set high, then push the Matrix's volume to 2 or 3 oclock and back off the volume of the Axe-Fx down to the same relative volume as before and tell us if it sounds different.

I just thought it was awesome that a band with probably some of the most picky of tones is able to use no real amps. Meaning us average guys with ax8s should be able to get very similar results with way less money.

Back
Top Bottom