Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza v2.0!

A friend of mine wanted to buy a Kemper and he's fond of Metallica. I gave him a link to this thread. Now he's waiting for an Axe FX II XL.
This doesn't mean the Kemper is bad. It just shows two things :
-if these tonematches are so accurate, it's because amps in the Axe FX II are accurate and FW13 is great
-Guitarjon is the best at doing this job : I tried many Metallica's tonematches but these ones are awesome !

Guitarjon : your recording are great too ! Would you mind revealing your technics to do such a job ? Do you use tonematch abilities of the Axe or external tools (Ozone...) ?

Last edited:
A friend of mine wanted to buy a Kemper and he's fond of Metallica. I gave him a link to this thread. Now he's waiting for an Axe FX II XL.
This doesn't mean the Kemper is bad. It just shows two things :
-if these tonematches are so accurate, it's because amps in the Axe FX II are accurate and FW13 is great
-Guitarjon is the best at doing this job : I tried many Metallica's tonematches but these ones are awesome !

Guitarjon : your recording are great too ! Would you mind revealing your technics to do such a job ? Do you use tonematches abilities of the Axe or external tools (Ozone...) ?

Great stuff!
What recordings do you mean? These Metallica ones or the recordings for my band?

Time for some more tones!
I just did S&M and St. Anger!
They turned out great actually, nice and raw!
The S&M tones are pretty cool too, nice and crunchy.
I couldn't get the phaser on the No Leaf Clover intro just right because the phaser on the recording sounds a bit more throaty?
Wouldn't know what kind of phaser he used.
For some of the songs I was able to get both James and Kirk's sound!
I used 10's on my guitar, so they weren't really suitable but it got the job done.
For Invisible Kid I used my LTD SC607-B baritone with EMG 707.
Enjoy!

I have not yet tried any of these yet as I have not had time to update to 13.07 yet due to scheduling, but I am curious if you've done the effects as well?

Like the Chorus on Hetfields rhythm for "One" or the Phaser for "Bleeding Me." or are these just straight up tone matches?

I have not yet tried any of these yet as I have not had time to update to 13.07 yet due to scheduling, but I am curious if you've done the effects as well?

Like the Chorus on Hetfields rhythm for "One" or the Phaser for "Bleeding Me." or are these just straight up tone matches?

I added the effects too!
For most of the sounds they turned out great!

I've seen several tutorials on tone matching, but I think you have managed to capture the magic with your technique. I, for one, would love to see a tutorial on how you approach tone matching. Great job on these :)

I've seen several tutorials on tone matching, but I think you have managed to capture the magic with your technique. I, for one, would love to see a tutorial on how you approach tone matching. Great job on these :)

Agree that would be great. whatever Jon is doing, he is doing it right. I still struggle to get good tone matches even after doing the research on what amps and cabs were used. Even the previous version of Jon's tone matches just that one opening chord of master of puppets and the only thing I could think was holy shit, spot on.

The last one is done!
This one was almost impossible to get right because of the clipping on the tracks.
I used the stems for the guitar tracks but even those tracks are clipping and there are drums clipping/crosstalk on those stems too...
Anyhow, I still think it turned out great!
listen here:

I know a couple of amps were used but I just stuck with the VH4 because it sounded best for these tracks.

I hope everybody enjoys these patches.
It was great fun making them!

Firmware 14.0 is coming very soon Jon. You have spoiled us so much that we cannot function in life unless we know our Metallica patches are up to date. Given the rate firmware is upgraded around here you might have to make this your full time job. ;)

I spent 6 hours straight playing yesterday due to your patches and my wife was furious because st pattys is our anniversary. It was worth it! Thanks!

Oh and one request I have from you is Shook me all night long by AC DC. I have tried to get that tone for years and failed. I have yet to see anyone else accomplish it either. I think you have proven to be the only man for the job.

Keep this up and people will start pay paling you for patches. Let me know how I can rain money on you please!

Cheers

Hey

Guitarjon if I remember right ,that Death Magnetic album was have little issue. That album mixing process did not go very well ,there was lots of clipping for all tracks. And many people was say ,that guitar hero versio for those tracks was better balance that original cd versions.

Back
Top Bottom