Metallica GRAMMYs Taylor Swift

Finally got a chance to watch this last night. First impression was that it wasn't really that bad. I didn't really expect anything better given the fact that I really haven't cared for anything Metallica's done in the last 20 years.
The overall mix did suck and I'm not a fan of mixing all the flashy piano with a metal tune.

The guitar tone wasn't anything to write home about, although I'm sure that had nothing to do with the quality of the Axe. I do agree that it reflects poorly on Fractal (even if it is unjustified). Believe me, people are talking about this all over the internet. Just about everyone who frequents any metal-related forum is fully aware that the Axe was used in this performance.

I really don't get all the hate for Metallica. They're one of the most influential bands in the world of metal. Without them, metal wouldn't look anything like it currently does. In their prime, they were damn good. Kirk, while not an overly technical, flashy player, has written some amazing solos- melodic, emotional, memorable, solos with feeling. That's a lot more than I can say for a lot of the technical guys. Lars was a huge influence to the modern metal drumming style.

To those that constantly bash Kirk and Lars in terms of live performance: put your money where your mouth is. I want to see you perform material that is at least as difficult and perform it absolutely perfectly- every time over a period of 30 years.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not really even a fan anymore. The stuff they've done since the black album hasn't really been my cup of tea. But, nothing but respect...

I note that the original youtube clip I watched has been taken down.

Is the new Grammy clip autotuned and edited? I don't remember James' voice sounding that on pitch.

Why all the hate for Metallica?

Look at the page count for the 12.04 beta thread - loaded w thanks and praise for Fractal. Why? Because they are continually pushing the boundaries of what they put out. Their FW releases don't get worse, they bring something new to the table. They're not resting on their laurels. How would everyone feel if Fractal pulled the same bullshit w every FW release or product launch? Their customers would be pissed just as some Metallica fans are.

How many people in this thread have said, "I haven't been a fan since X album etc."?
I have yet to encounter a band that has been as disappointing in the last 10 or so years as Metallica. I cut my teeth on them and was a huge fan growing up, but not so much any more. From bad writing and production on albums to piss poor performances, they're all over the place. Bad mix or not, Kirk is really a horrendous player as is Lars. Yes, you can argue that this is subjective, but the fact is that if you isolated Kirk's track and put it through a tuner - wow. Neither of them can play in time and Kirk is constantly out of tune and sloppy. Not to mention that I'm shocked that they chose the one tune that he doesn't hide behind his wah. When you figure that he's gotten progressively worse over the years, it's really off putting to think that with all the money and fame and hype, he (and Lars - or anyone who performs publicly for that matter) might consider taking some pride in their chosen craft and actually do some practicing.

How much hate is there for Petrucci, Vai, Satch, Lifeson, DiMeola, Morse etc.? And don't give me the whole apples and oranges player thing cause how much hate is there for The Edge? Yeah he hides behind his delays, but he tries to create something interesting and he's still a clean player who gives a shit about what he does (and btw, I'm not really a fan of his or U2 at ALL!). Each one might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally have never heard that any one of these guys is a BAD player. They've ALL gotten better as time goes on. There's a reason that the forum blows up when it's announced that some of these guys have chosen our same tool. IMHO it can reflect poorly on a company when a sloppy player uses said product. Yeah, the guitar tone was good but to the untrained ear it can be confusing when something sounds "off" (ie bending out of tune) and can be misconstrued as an inferior product being used. I agree with Gamedojo that a little more though or reservation may have wanted to be given with all of the posts and announcements etc. I don't think this was necessarily the BEST pr for Fractal.

Of course all of this is just my 2c and every has their own opinion. I'm just really disappointed that a band that I loved growing up has become so over hyped and mediocre.

I am thrilled for Fractal however that they (and yes we) are in the forefront of the guitar world with our little black magic box. :)

Rob is in a league of his own as far as bass players go and dare I say he is even a better player than Cliff (who I still love to this day)? So he's kinda exempt from culpability in this topic...

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I love how people say shit like "I cut my teeth on Metallica." Then proceed to bash as they haven't lived up to your personal expectations. The amount of negativity on this topic is horrible.

Reading all the heckler's posts, it's like all those Jocks that watch sports and every play, proclaim "that was garbage, those guys suck." Yet they are the ones actually playing and you are the moron sitting on the couch thinking because you have an opinion, you are equal or even worse, better...... lol

The best part is, all the real fans enjoyed it. All the real fans were watching a performance, not judging every little mistake so they could complain about it. All the real fans will still buy their next album and all the real fans will go see their next concert. Fractal will get exposure either way. The only real losers here are the butthurt "used to" be fans. Metallica is the biggest name in metal. Just because you personally don't think so doesn't make it any less true.

I won't bash Metallica. True, I felt deeply betrayed when they hired Bon Jovis producer and released Black... but the first four, especially RTL, MOP and AJFA made the world a better place and inspired some other great metal. I am really just happy to have seen them with Cliff opening for Ozzy on the MOP tour. That was an experience. It was awesome watching the clueless Ozzy fans' reactions to what was taking place on stage. But even they knew what they were watching didn't suck. I was sitting in the loge by the side of the stage and during Ozzy Hetfield walked out from backstage, leather jacket on, bottle of Smirnoff in hand, and just stood there watching Ozzy. Just a kid still. One of the greatest memories of my life is that day...and after all these years I'm proud to say I use the same amp he does!

I think most of the "hate" and bashing you hear is from people that are just disappointed. We're not hating on Metallica or being so negative because it gets our rocks off - contrary to lazy, popular belief.
We hate on Metallica because we *know* they used to be capable of so much more. That as a band, they made some amazing tunes. Then the music scene started changing around 91' and by 93' it was game over for them as a band artistically and creatively. From that point forward it became more about the dollars and no one can argue with album sales. Or Lars suing filesharing users ala Napster to get his .02 +/- lol.
Either way, the band changed. IF they'd disbanded after the Black album and put out the next 5+ albums as some random "nu metal" band or whatever, people wouldn't have as much of an issue with them.

They did so much to progress the genre and music as a whole and to see them just go off the rails into stupid-land is just disappointing. At least for me, I'm not saying I can write better tunes or perform better 30 years forward or backward in time, but I'd like to think that I give a shit enough to actually try and have enough sense to know when it's time to call it a day and try something else entirely. Something their collective egos seem to prevent them from doing.

As for Metallica using the AxeFX, I think it's huge - again, no arguing with the fact that they are very well known, very well established and still respected by a lot of people (in and outside of the music business). If they put out their next album with awesome guitar sounds, produced well, played well all with the Axe, anything negative about this Grammy performance will be forgotten. If they churn out more of the same last few albums, it'll still be a win for Fractal.

Last thought - Metallica is like Star Wars and George Lucas. We just want and expect more of that former glory to rise up and make a comeback. We grew up on that stuff, we love it like life itself, mess with that and yeah, we're going to be pretty pissed.

bottom line,Kirk needs to do like he did in the 80's.Start taking private lessons from Satch again.(guess he didn't finish his training from the sounds of it).

Come on now. Guys like Kirk give guys like me a sense of accomplishment. Especially when I tend to compare myself with the likes of via, satch, Timmons, not to mention you bastard stellar players on this forum. :)

At one point I knew every solo on the first 3 albums. I am Sooooooo glad his vibrato technique did not stick with me. I think he is a talented musician but his ear isn't that great. As a guitarist you can't take for granted that when you depress a note that it is intonated automatically. You need to adjust as you play to be sure that your pressure doesn't cause notes to go sharp or that you actually "arrive" at the intended pitch when bending. He very rarely bends "in tune". Doesn't mean he sucks. Just means I can't listend too it. I am fairly certain his guitar was way out of tune too. Could have been a wide depth sweep on the chorus causing major pitch detuning.

Metallica is like Star Wars and George Lucas. We just want and expect more of that former glory to rise up and make a comeback. We grew up on that stuff, we love it like life itself, mess with that and yeah, we're going to be pretty pissed.
Well said. Insert Jar Jar Binks photo here....

Attachments

• JarJar.jpg
    JarJar.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3
If it wasn't for Kirk the Metallica we know might not ever existed. Is he a Guthrie govin? No. Is he an integral part of that band?
Yes. Does it all really mean shit? No. I feel like I'm witnessing a whose the best guitarist in the world debate only the opposite. Moving along now.

I was thinking about Metallica a lot in the Last days, especially After watching the Grammy Vid with Lang Lang.

My personal conclusion is: Metallica was one of my essential bands for decades. They brought Metal to another Level. They were responsible for some concert experiences, that i will never forget. I was proudly wearing their T-Shirts.

Maybe they have dissapointed me in the Last years....everyone gets older ....but hey - they are still there. And after decades...they metal up the Grammys ....but Kirk should get some Guitar lessons again, nonetheless....his intonation in some parts was really worse.

Metal up your Axe!!!!

Back
Top Bottom