Metallica Amp

If nothing else, its an interesting psychological experiment in human perception as based on expectations.

I'll tell you what; Cliff could take an old Axe Ultra, and stick the guts into a rough "mock-up" enclosure of the Axe III housing, write a few paragraphs about some new "breakthrough" in modeling he had, and I'd wager 9 out of 10 guitarist would all say how it sounds "more real" than their current Axe II units.

That makes more sense, if its the old IIC+ before it was changed. Wonder why its called IIC++ instead of Metallica IIC+ or something, kind of like how the Thordendal Mrdn and Vint were named when they were added, to differentiate from the new rectos.

I did like the old IIC+ a lot more than the new one, even if the new one is more accurate.

I don't think it's the old IIC+ as I never was happy what I dialed in for classical rock or blues. This new amp is instant good sounding for me. So it musst be some other modell - I believe :confused:

I suppose its best to just judge it on if it sounds good or not. Doesn't really matter if its a new model or old model, if its based off an exact amp etc. Simply does it sound good ?

Now I fully admit that is easier said than done. I had a few models I really enjoyed, then I read Yek's "amp of the day" feature on the model and found out a few I liked were actually carry-overs from the Ultra days, like Das Metal. Suddenly in my mind, those models were "inferior" to the latest models, even though til that morning I thought they sounded great.

I don't remember the old USA IIC+ amp sounding this good.
ThinkingScratchHead2-small.gif

The success of the recent yet epic work by yek clearly demonstrates the very high desire of this community to understand any modeled amp's pedigree and usage.

This Metallica amp isn't any different in that regard. And for some, even more so. (I'm not in that particular group, but I certainly understand the curiosity.)

Any amp from let's say FW 17 would retain it's build specs but what has changed since then? The advances in the tube modeling and so on now apply to the same amp in the new Quantam environment.
You're watching the same movie but now you're wearing 3D glasses.
Z

Don't get hung up on the name. If we took one of James' amps and had Cliff model and release it, then it would make sense to call it the Hetfield Amp.
Any existing amp could be called the Satriani Amp or Zappa Amp because that is the model they chose. You lucky stiffs have these same models available to you, just like anyone else.

Any amp from let's say FW 17 would retain it's build specs but what has changed since then? The advances in the tube modeling and so on now apply to the same amp in the new Quantam environment.
Z

I prefer to think of it as watching the same movie, but in 4K - 3D sucks. :p

I don't remember the old USA IIC+ amp sounding this good.
ThinkingScratchHead2-small.gif

This is my same impression, but at the end of the day who cares, even Mr. Mustaine will love it!

Any amp from let's say FW 17 would retain it's build specs but what has changed since then? The advances in the tube modeling and so on now apply to the same amp in the new Quantum environment.
Z

Makes sense...now I'm trying not to blink!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom