Meshuggah Bassist Using AxeFxII - Bass Player Mag

jimfist

Fractal Fanatic
Just saw an article in the most recent Bass Player mag on Dick Lovgren. He mentions using no cabinets on stage with the FAS AxeFxII. Also that he uses 2 amp models mixed together: the "FAS Lead for 800Hz and up and American Clean with some fuzz for the low end". No other information given as to exactly how he's mixing them or setting up his sound. Nice to see some major league bassists using the AxeFxII, though. I think it's just a matter of time....

Why not? Plenty of minor league bassists have been using an Axe for years. We're just not as noisy about it as the guitarists. ;)

Interesting to hear how he's getting his tone though. I wouldn't have thought of splitting off two guitar amps like that.

Yeah... Dicks Bass seems to have more gain than Fredriks and Martens guitars :)
Dick told me he uses the stock IR's on the Ultras and the guys use Fredriks custom IR's. During a soundcheck I could really hear just how much crunch his bass had. To us it's "THE" Meshuggah sound with his bass

Here's some pics I had

And the guys signed my 9 string Agile too co0LiO:razz

Attachments

• sigs.jpg
    sigs.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Just saw an article in the most recent Bass Player mag on Dick Lovgren. He mentions using no cabinets on stage with the FAS AxeFxII. Also that he uses 2 amp models mixed together: the "FAS Lead for 800Hz and up and American Clean with some fuzz for the low end". No other information given as to exactly how he's mixing them or setting up his sound. Nice to see some major league bassists using the AxeFxII, though. I think it's just a matter of time....

just quickly, whats the best way to allocate frequency to one amp and the rest to another like indicated above?

Mårten once compared the sound of the bass in Meshuggah's music to the sound of an 18 wheeler tank truck being dragged on rough concrete. I think there's some truth in that...

Back
Top Bottom