Wish Mesa Grid Slammer

Was Boogie worse about ripping off circuits than other companies? It seems like so many well known pieces of gear are just mods, but I can’t tell for sure.
Not sure about them ripping off other companies (their early amps were very Fendery BTW, and Dual Rectifiers took a LOT from the SLO), but they sure will sue the crap out of anyone that "infringes" their patents. One patent claim is for an unusually large resistor in a grid supply; you can infringe on that patent by simply misreading the resistor value.

This particular phenomenon is so widespread that it even has its own acronym—YATS (yet another Tube Screamer).
Some modern boutique pedal builders are far more blatant, they will copy everything except for cosmetics (not just topology). I mean cloning pedals from other boutique manufacturers. I probably need not mention any names, y'all know who they are. And then there is the line of Behringer pedals.....

On the Mesa schematic, I don't think there are any FETs in the pedal. Those two C1815 transistors are buffers only.

Yeah, I have that one. I used to use Mercurial stuff before I had any Fractal gear. I agree that their Grid Slammer is awesome.
I don't normally get impressed by plugins. Too many things I don't want to deal with when playing guitar. But Spark was something special imo. And I never care about dirt pedals really at all as I always just like "amp" gain. But that thing was just :hearteyes:

Part of the mojo of this pedal (and perhaps what earned it the Grid Slammer name) is that output buffer Q2 and its supporting resistors. The original Tube Screamer used a non-bypass switching circuit that required buffers to the pedal input and output to work properly. But the buffers have tonal effects on their own, and a common mod you see in pedal conversion is tweaks to the output buffer resistors (a significant difference between the TS808 and TS9 IIRC). Many newer pedals with the basic TS topology do not have the buffers if a true bypass mechanical switch is used. But the Grid Slammer has them. I assume the Grid Slammer has a standard 3PDT mechanical switch true bypass.

And the Grid Slammer's 100 ohm resistor between the battery and the rest of the circuit... that's unusual. Wonder what it does tonally, other than increase the parallel impedance of the battery as seen by the circuit. Partially dead battery tweak perhaps?

Part of the mojo of this pedal (and perhaps what earned it the Grid Slammer name) is that output buffer Q2 and its supporting resistors. The original Tube Screamer used a non-bypass switching circuit that required buffers to the pedal input and output to work properly. But the buffers have tonal effects on their own, and a common mod you see in pedal conversion is tweaks to the output buffer resistors (a significant difference between the TS808 and TS9 IIRC). Many newer pedals with the basic TS topology do not have the buffers if a true bypass mechanical switch is used. But the Grid Slammer has them. I assume the Grid Slammer has a standard 3PDT mechanical switch true bypass.

And the Grid Slammer's 100 ohm resistor between the battery and the rest of the circuit... that's unusual. Wonder what it does tonally, other than increase the parallel impedance of the battery as seen by the circuit. Partially dead battery tweak perhaps?
Reading this is more than just a ts9 rip off so.

If you really wanted this thing to slam your grids, look inside and ensure all caps are rated for >20v (especially the tantalums), and run it on 18v.

Back
Top Bottom