Mesa Boogie Triaxis + Fractal Audio FX8 Mark II Hum and poweramp pops.

oleksandr.poyan

Hi all,

I have recently bought Fractal Audtion FX8 Mark II. The idea was to hook it up to Mesa Boogie Triaxis as a controller and effect processor, but I have faced a problem of hum and poweramp pops when going from Stand By/ On and vice versa.

I have tried 2 types of 4CM connections. First one is with using Mesa Boogie Triaxis loop:

Guitar -> FX8 In (PRE) -> FX8 Out (L\MONO) -> Triaxis Input -> Triaxis Send -> FX8 In (POST) -> FX8 Out (POST) -> Triaxis Return -> Triaxis Output A -> Poweramp Input -> Speaker

Second is without using Mesa Boogie Triaxis loop:

Guitar -> FX8 In (PRE) -> FX8 Out (L\MONO) -> Triaxis Input -> Triaxis Output A -> FX8 In (POST) -> FX8 Out (POST) -> Poweramp Input -> Speaker

These two setups sounds the same, and the same problems remain. When I'm on clean channel of Mesa Triaxis I can't hear any hum, and I'm able to boost it using Fractal FX8 drive pedals to high gain voice and still will not have any noise, when guitar volume is on or off. But when I switch to ether crunch or lead mode where significant amount of gain, I hear the same type of noise coming out of the speaker. The more gain is used the more significant noise level become. I can hear it through the speaker whether my guitar volume is on or off. Also I've faced a problem of poweramp pops when going from Stand By/On and vice versa. It's kind off reverberation pop, when I hear echo afterwards. The louder poweramp gets the more pronounced pop sound will be, when I decide to switch it off/on. It's represented on whatever Mesa Triaxis channel I'm at the moment.

Bare in mind that I'm not using Humbuster cables or any TRS to TS cables. Just standard TS to TS cables. I've read that Humbuster cables might work in this situation, but I'm not sure. Also want to add that Mesa Triaxis + Poweramp + Speaker combo works well and there is no hum or noise beside tube standard noise. Any thoughts, guys ?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have recently bought Fractal Audtion FX8 Mark II. The idea was to hook it up to Mesa Boogie Triaxis as a controller and effect processor, but I have faced a problem of hum and poweramp pops when going from Stand By/ On and vice versa.

I have tried 2 types of 4CM connections. First one is with using Mesa Boogie Triaxis loop:

Guitar -> FX8 In (PRE) -> FX8 Out (L\MONO) -> Triaxis Input -> Triaxis Send -> FX8 In (POST) -> FX8 Out (POST) -> Triaxis Return -> Triaxis Output A -> Poweramp Input -> Speaker

Second is without using Mesa Boogie Triaxis loop:

Guitar -> FX8 In (PRE) -> FX8 Out (L\MONO) -> Triaxis Input -> Triaxis Output A -> FX8 In (POST) -> FX8 Out (POST) -> Poweramp Input -> Speaker

These two setups sounds the same, and the same problems remain. When I'm on clean channel of Mesa Triaxis I can't hear any hum, and I'm able to boost it using Fractal FX8 drive pedals to high gain voice and still will not have any noise, when guitar volume is on or off. But when I switch to ether crunch or lead mode where significant amount of gain, I hear the same type of noise coming out of the speaker. The more gain is used the more significant noise level become. I can hear it through the speaker whether my guitar volume is on or off. Also I've faced a problem of poweramp pops when going from Stand By/On and vice versa. It's kind off reverberation pop, when I hear echo afterwards. The louder poweramp gets the more pronounced pop sound will be, when I decide to switch it off/on. It's represented on whatever Mesa Triaxis channel I'm at the moment.

Bare in mind that I'm not using Humbuster cables or any TRS to TS cables. Just standard TS to TS cables. I've read that Humbuster cables might work in this situation, but I'm not sure. Also want to add that Mesa Triaxis + Poweramp + Speaker combo works well and there is no hum or noise beside tube standard noise. Any thoughts, guys ?

The first setup you described is the typical 4CM and should work fine. However you could possibly get some ground loop hum. Humbuster cables might help. Also you could try something like a GigRig Humdinger (I think) or an ebtech hum eliminator. I’ve heard a report of some tone suck with the hum eliminator but others, including Rabea Masaad, have seemed to like it.

The second setup doesn’t seem right for a 4CM. Are the turn on/off pops just in that setup?

Try a simple test with the FX8 just in front of the Triaxis:
Guitar - FX8 In 1 (pre) - FX8 Out 1 (pre) - Triaxis input - Triaxis output - power amp input

Are you still getting on/off pops? You shouldn’t be. And you shouldn’t be while using the 1st 4CM You posted either (though again, hum would not be surprising).

Back
Top Bottom